Gransnet forums

Site stuff

Accessible archive of posts

(6 Posts)
Apricity Sat 30-Mar-19 09:18:06

Thank you for the comments. It was just a bit of a thought bubble as so many issues are recurring ones.

Gonegirl Thu 28-Mar-19 14:04:01

I think HQ want as many threads started as possible.

Elegran Thu 28-Mar-19 13:44:46

It would be even better if we had an advanced search facility where we could enter details, like a keyword plus a poster's username plus a date range. Then when we think to ourselves, "I am sure there was a post about that about 3 months ago. It was probably XXXX who posted", we would stand a chance of finding it. It is possible to get a search app for that, and not that difficult for a programmer to write one from scratch.

But people have been asking for a better search ever since Gransnet began.

sodapop Thu 28-Mar-19 12:37:53

It's a good idea but often people just want to get support and sympathy from GN and archives don't offer that. I do agree the same problems recur very frequently.

Alima Thu 28-Mar-19 12:26:16

Think it is a good idea Apricity. Not sure Site would just say we already have a Search facility. Which we do have but it is far from perfect, quite clunky and not in any apparent order.

Apricity Thu 28-Mar-19 09:45:02

Just wondering if it might be possible or desirable to have an Archive Section where particular recurring topics could be archived but still be readily accessible under topic headings for new or old Grans to read the comments, advice, personal experiences etc. Many topics are recurring and ongoing ones such as family estrangement, mother in law/daughter in law issues, adult children and grandchildren moving overseas, access to grandchildren to name a few.

Sometimes there has just been a long thread about a topic and a week or two later a new poster is seeking support for the same issue. Posters either go over the same ground or don't respond and all the previous posts, often quite detailed are lost in the ether. What do other Grans think?