Gransnet forums

Site stuff

Don't want cookies

(4 Posts)
Caledonai14 Thu 09-May-19 12:46:08

Today I was forced to accept cookies from Gransnet before I could get into the site, even though I was already logged in.

I do accept that we need to have targeted advertising on free-to-use sites like this (though because I do lots of research into weird and wonderful things I am often assailed on several sites by ads for things I don't want).

However, I hate being forced to accept cookies. I don't want cookies. The choice is nearly always click for accept or you can't get in. It was the same today.

Isn't it enough that you are already tracking what I am looking at so you can target the ads?

And why has the cookies thing suddenly appeared now?

This is done as a permission thing, but I'd like to be able to say no thanks. No problem with the ads because I agree everything has a price and sometimes the ads can be useful. Please allow me to retain a little privacy online, however.

JackyB Thu 09-May-19 12:49:27

And it happens at irregular intervals. I am permanently logged in on all devices but at random times am asked to accept cookies.

SarahGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 15-May-19 17:09:44

Hi Caledonai14, this can happen if you are using Firefox as a browser or if the browser you are using has ad-tracking turned on. Ad-tracking prevents the browser from registering your cookie preferences so it will keep asking you 'do you accept or reject?'
Its worth checking to see if you have this. If you continue to have problems with the site, please email [email protected] . It's the easiest way for us to help you. smile

Elegran Wed 15-May-19 17:33:29

I think that one thing the cookies may do is to record on your own device/browser what your preferences are for viewing the site, so without them you could get into a catch22 situation, with the adblocker stopping the browser from registering your cookie preferences, which in turn would register all your site preferences, including cookie acceptance/rejection.