Gransnet forums

Site stuff

Advertising bespoke essays?

(9 Posts)
boat Mon 27-May-19 13:25:25

On the last page of Overworked Teachers (a thread on chat) there are a couple of posts with links to sites providing this service. The posters are 2019judijo and RoyNickson.

shysal Mon 27-May-19 13:50:37

I have reported the recent one for you by clicking on 'report' above the post.

M0nica Mon 27-May-19 17:08:16

Well, it is nice to know that they think of us as still being at a stage in life where we could benefit from them.

I can never quite see the point of them because sooner or later if you claim a qualification you have no entitlment to your sheer ignorance of your subject will reveal all.

BlueBelle Mon 27-May-19 17:23:05

I reported it a while ago obviously bank holiday fever ?

boat Mon 27-May-19 17:49:11

Thanks shysal . I wasn't quite sure how to do this, will know next time.

M0nica

I'm not so sure. I've had bosses who seem to have got away with it for most of their working lives. Especially one who was a "qualified" football and cricket ref and an ex Carlisle United "player", though he probably didn't have to buy many essays to get away with the last.

52bright Mon 27-May-19 19:59:12

I am definitely very ill informed and nieve. Do these people actually sell essays to students who present them as their own work? Wouldn't a quick google of particular phrases show up the fraud ...unless these people are providing total essays from scratch with referrals and different analysis of appropriate works every single time they write an essay

M0nica Mon 27-May-19 20:45:49

Most major universities in any country and every university in most advanced countries are up to spotting those who buy essays or even plagiarise by copying large chunks from books or borrow other people's works. Every essay goes through plagiarism software that can identify language, vocabulary, grammar and syntax that do not fit with a students known style.

I expect that any top university in any country is more than up to catching cheats. But many countries, although not the UK, have a wide range of establishments granting degrees and at the bottom are a number who by deliberate policy, money constraints or having poor quality lecturers cannot recognise or will accept (with a bribe) any essay a student cares to submit.

And as we know, in every country there are people who will buy degree certificates and the like. I seem to remember that Ian Paisley's doctorate, while not obtained dishonestly, was obtained from a small bible college somewhere in the mid USA, whose standards for a PhD, might be less stringent than in the UK.

Certainly there have been people in the public eye who have been found to have false qualifications purchased by responding to an advert.

BradfordLass72 Tue 28-May-19 10:09:45

Most educational establishments here use Turnitin or similar software, which prevents the use of ready-made essays and plagiarism.

High Schools don't allow any content from Wikipedia although when I was teaching, I pointed out that they could follow up the references on relevant pages, for further research.
You can only fake your intelligence so far, sooner or later you'll have to face exams which will test your ability to work unaided. If you can't, you fail.

But then as boat says, we've all met qualified people, with genuine degrees who make pig's ears of any task they are asked to do.
This seems particularly prevalent at Management level.

M0nica Tue 28-May-19 10:22:08

But degrees only prove your capacity to learn to a certain level and to master a subject at that level.

Managers are appointed to run, for example, a car design team, because they have a degree in mechanical engineering and ergonomics and have complete mastery of the technical and other knowledge necessary for the job. It does not however follow that they have any management skills. That is a different skill set.