Gransnet forums

Site stuff

Dear GNHQ

(28 Posts)
Gonegirl Mon 10-Jun-19 18:54:47

Could I ask you to very kindly read my post of Mon 10-Jun-19 17:29:48 (today) referring to my post of Mon 10-Jun-19 17:24:36 (also today) on the 'Care and carers' forum.

Thank you. smile

Mitramonday Thu 18-Jul-19 22:54:10

Willa45 and others...
Yes, totally agree with the post-posting edit button - pretty please, Gransnet Admin!
Not so sure about the 'like' button...

EllanVannin Sat 22-Jun-19 11:27:18

No need for a " like " button, as RoseCarmel has already pointed out the reasons against, to which I agree.

GabriellaG54 Sat 22-Jun-19 11:01:17

RoseCarmel
07.12, 07.15 and 21.12 posts on 11/06/19 are spot on.
Well said. ???

GabriellaG54 Sat 22-Jun-19 10:55:36

Willa45
No. You'd get the same clique piling in and 'liking' posts from one of their own no matter whether it really chimed with their view.
I could name names but they know who they are.
It goes on now in a slightly different way.
No need for a Facebook copycat button.

rosecarmel Tue 11-Jun-19 21:12:29

Yes, Like buttons do bring people together, to form groups, groups that eventually morph into polarised hordes that create discord on any available internet platform-

Positively flattering!

My sincere apologies, Gonegirl-

Maybelle Tue 11-Jun-19 17:41:00

I also support the Q&A with an MP on helping elderly carers and associated issues.

Gonegirl Tue 11-Jun-19 16:59:20

this brings it home to you

Nandalot Tue 11-Jun-19 14:59:01

Good idea, Gonegirl.

kittylester Tue 11-Jun-19 14:47:17

I agree with you gonegirl.

Gonegirl Tue 11-Jun-19 13:13:04

Thank you GrannyGravy. (already thanked merlot)

Gonegirl Tue 11-Jun-19 13:12:06

smile Perhaps other posters might like to show their support for a Q and A session with a Member of Parliament on the subject of helping elderly carers. On this thread would be great.

Gonegirl Tue 11-Jun-19 13:09:38

Oh sod the like button. This is more important!

Start yer own threads.

Gonegirl Tue 11-Jun-19 13:08:58

Didn't think of that did I?! hmm blush

willa45 Tue 11-Jun-19 13:08:28

I have also seen where people on this forum have actually requested the "Like" button. I think it brings people together actually, because it's very flattering for someone to have many people like one or more of their posts.

LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 11-Jun-19 12:52:45

Hi Gonegirl
Thanks for the suggestion. Yes, we can definitely look into that if there is a demand. In future, you might want to report your post instead of starting another thread. Easier for us to find and also means there's no chance of missing it - we may not have seen this thread. smile

willa45 Tue 11-Jun-19 12:46:20

If there is bad faith on the part of some people, I don't think an Edit button would make things any worse. These are the same people who cause entire threads to be deleted by the Admin.

The Edit feature is especially useful for correcting text errors and yes, even wording if someone's point can get across more effectively. Every poster should have the right to correct their own (honest) mistakes or to improve their message. Editing is an especially useful tool for correcting typos and grammatical or spelling errors that are missed after the 'send' button has been hit.

It is also possible to note changes so others will know what came later. As an example, Facebook will actually post a footnote that says 'Edited'.

rosecarmel Tue 11-Jun-19 07:15:49

Besides the fact that with edit buttons people can change what they expressed and then act like they never typed it ..

rosecarmel Tue 11-Jun-19 07:12:12

Like buttons are terrible features that have the tendency to bring out groupthink and creepiness in people- Discussions are healthier when held on level playing fields, where each speaker is equal- The co-founder and CEO of Twitter has very recently expressed regret for implementing the Like feature due to the divisiveness it has caused- He also expressed wishing he hadn't placed emphasis on Followers and Following for the same reason-

Anyone can edit after the fact, or someone will come along and correct you eventually smile

It's all good on Gransnet, if it ain't broke, don't fix it-

kittylester Tue 11-Jun-19 06:46:51

Preview is a useful feature which helps do away with the need for an edit button.

willa45 Mon 10-Jun-19 23:02:53

I guess this is as good a place as any to put in a request or two?

Would it be possible for Gransnet Admins to add a new feature, namely to allow users to correct typos or other texting errors (i.e. edit one's own post), AFTER a post has been submitted?

Also, someone on this forum once suggested the use of a"Like" button. That would allow for the best posts can be recognized. The ones with the most 'likes' could go to the top of the page or perhaps a special icon for 'Best post of the day' (or something like that) .

Anyway, it's just my two cents worth. Thanks again Gransnet

GrannyGravy13 Mon 10-Jun-19 19:49:41

Good idea!

Gonegirl Mon 10-Jun-19 19:45:42

Yes. I think it would be a good cause for Gransnet to take up. After all, they are a sister site to the mighty Mumsnet.

Thanks merlot.

merlotgran Mon 10-Jun-19 19:35:14

I agree, Gonegirl. My first post on gransnet seven years ago was about my mother's care and the problems I was experiencing. I stumbled across the link when contacting Age UK.

I'm sure it would be an interesting Q&A. We don't seem to have those any more.

Urmstongran Mon 10-Jun-19 19:27:31

This??

message Gonegirl Mon 10-Jun-19 17:24:36
Gransnet needs to get someone from the government in to do a Q and A on the subject of caring.

Now that would be worthwhile. And interesting.

Gonegirl Mon 10-Jun-19 19:19:13

Oh for 'eaven's sake.

Forget it. hmm