Gransnet forums

Site stuff

Daughter problems

(7 Posts)
Sara65 Tue 18-Jun-19 16:41:00

Neither of my daughters have dogs, but they both know if they did there wouldn’t be any point in asking me to look after them!

Children, yes, pets, absolutely not!

annep1 Tue 18-Jun-19 16:28:03

Spoilt daughter maybe?
Your daughter obviously thinks she can walk all over you. People will only treat you the way you let them. Time to be assertive and demand some respect.

mammabear Tue 18-Jun-19 15:35:47

Thanks folks, I just wanted to make sure I wasnt been unreasonable in my thoughts.

Miss my darling boy though....

glammanana Tue 18-Jun-19 13:21:00

Funny that your DD notified you once she was on her way on holiday about the 2nd week !!
Its totally unreasonable to ask to care for 4 x dogs for a week they should have saved for a kennels for them or got in a dog sitter,how selfish they are.
As much as you love to have your DGC I would not be as readily available in the future then maybe your DD will realise that not everything is on her terms.

Gonegirl Tue 18-Jun-19 13:17:39

She actually said if you don't watch the dogs you won't see your grandson?! And you ask if this is blackmail.

I would have no alternative but to tell her where to shove it.

As Minimoon has said, she will come round when she wants something. But you need to keep some self respect.

MiniMoon Tue 18-Jun-19 13:07:47

I think it's a bit much asking anyone to look after four dogs. We only ever had one dog at a time, but wouldn't have dreamed of asking anyone to look after it when we went away. We always booked a place in kennels for them. In my opinion, if you cannot afford to put the dogs in kennels, you cannot afford to go on holiday, after all they are your responsibility, nobody else's.
Your daughter sounds like she's being unreasonable, but it will probably blow over.
By the next time she needs your help with childcare, I shouldn't wonder.

mammabear Tue 18-Jun-19 12:47:50

I have a problem with my 25 year old daughter. She and her husband have a two year old son, my grandson. They also have 4 dogs, and this is the problem.
They have recently been away on holiday for 14 nights, did not my grandson. I took time off my work to care for my grandson and for the first week she had someone else looking after her dogs, after leaving for the airport she text to say this person could not watch the dogs for the second week and she had left a key for me and my other half to do so.
We both work full time, my other half has a heart condition.
I suggested kennels, can’t afford it, suggested other grandparents look after dogs, they were going away so couldnt.
We always seem to get left with looking after the dogs when they go away, I have said numerous times we are not happy to do this, and won’t do it again.
Upshot was a text saying that if we don’t watch the dogs we don’t see grandson. We looked after the dogs.
They have returned from holiday and there has been no contact at all , have not seen grandson and her dad did not get a Father’s Day card or present.
Feel like this is blackmail..what do others think...