Gransnet forums

Site stuff

(12 Posts)
Minniemoo Wed 10-Jul-19 23:23:53

Not 100% sure if this has been mentioned before but any chance of going FB's way and having a like option? New to the site and some of the comments are so witty and amusing I'd like to be able to show my appreciation. I realise one can answer and express the sentiment in words but maybe you don't really have much to to add to the conversation and just a wink would do. Apologies in advance if this has been discussed.

Tangerine Wed 10-Jul-19 23:32:47

I believe other people have asked for this facility and been refused.

Nana3 Wed 10-Jul-19 23:33:47

Been discussed many times Mm HQ not in favour, in fact dead against.

rosecarmel Wed 10-Jul-19 23:49:52

One of the best features of this forum is that it doesn't provide a Like button, making it less like Twitter and Facebook- I love it the way it is- The U.S. grandparent site came and went- It had a Like button, editing, rigid TOS and Admins with the tendency to play favorites-

This site is beautiful the way it is: successful!

Minniemoo Sat 13-Jul-19 00:54:36

OKie dokie. It just seems that it would be nice to be able to pop a recognition of a good/interesting/funny post when scrolling through so many. It becomes tricky when it's a very long thread. But not to worry. Thanks for the answers

BlueBelle Sat 13-Jul-19 04:31:38

Yes Minnie we have asked for a few things including a like button and an edit button even if only for a five minute time limit for the latter but they have always been refused I totally agree with you that both these things I noted would be so useful and doesn’t really make the site anything like fb (I don’t tweet so cant really comment on that) This is the only site I ve ever been on that doesn’t have an edit button but hey ho it’s not going to happen I m afraid

kittylester Sat 13-Jul-19 06:49:28

But we have preview if you remember to use it.

shysal Sat 13-Jul-19 07:34:47

I sometimes just post a grin, smile, flowersor sad as appropriate with no words. See smiley instructions below.

DanniRae Sat 13-Jul-19 07:50:07

I do the same shysal grinwinkshockflowers

Auntieflo Sat 13-Jul-19 08:13:41

I agree that there is no real need for a 'like' button, or an 'edit' button. As KittyL said, there is the 'preview' facility.
But, what I would appreciate, is a chance to 'save' a post, before actually 'posting'. Sometimes when answering a post, I need to refer back, and if this post is on a previous page, all is lost!

BlueBelle Sat 13-Jul-19 08:15:16

We do have preview Kitty but how often do you press the post button then think ‘oops I should have checked that’ and people who are perhaps writing a long and emotional post probably wouldn’t think to preview but press the post button before they lose their courage altogether
However we won’t get one so that’s that really
I also find posting a single (or multiple) smileys a bit of a waste of a post especially if a few people did it one after the other in one thread we could end up with half a page of smileys?could be worse I suppose, we already have all the dreaded shorthand dahlings ?

Bathsheba Sun 14-Jul-19 07:18:00

Auntieflo if I wish to refer back to the thread when I’m halfway through typing a reply, I simply copy my half-typed reply, then paste it once I’ve finished looking.