Gransnet forums

Site stuff

Hello GNHQ

(45 Posts)
Gonegirl Fri 18-Oct-19 16:39:13

Can't believe that you now have the 'twat' word on Gransnet Home Page!

Thought you were so precious about what is shown to the world.

Totally confused

trisher Sat 19-Oct-19 14:00:56

Oopsminty banning isn't the same as regulating you know. Ofcom has lists and grades words. There are some it recommends shouldn't be used before the watershed. It doesn't ban them. www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0023/91625/OfcomQRG-AOC.pdf
The "right" people are bloody boring anyway! grin
By the way don't use that link if you are easily offended it's all the naughty words possible.

Gonegirl Sat 19-Oct-19 13:07:34

Thank you Hildagard.

Jane10 Sat 19-Oct-19 12:53:56

Blimey - 'the right people'! Who defines those? Snobbish or what.
I'm with trisher on this. We're obviously not 'right'.

Gonegirl Sat 19-Oct-19 12:52:57

Oh. Sorry.

SueDonim Sat 19-Oct-19 12:50:26

Yes, I'm sure HQ know the meaning, Gonegirl. I was just relating an anecdote, that's all. smile

Oopsminty Sat 19-Oct-19 12:36:23

Would you like to post some evidence of this?

I'm just off out to lunch now but have swiftly googled and found numerous sites, trisher

Here's one for you

www.digitalspy.com/tv/a809925/ofcom-swear-words-ranking-in-order-of-offensiveness/

I'll leave now

I honestly don't think you've been mixing with the 'right'? people if you think this is an acceptable word

Hildagard Sat 19-Oct-19 12:30:05

Gone girl love your post and the profound ending, ‘mainly for there own pleasure’?

Gonegirl Sat 19-Oct-19 12:14:53

confused

Don't get that at all.

Not arguing about the word anymore. Just know it's bad and I hate it.

But there, what do I matter in the great scheme of Gransnet?

trisher Sat 19-Oct-19 11:49:50

So any woman who uses it is misogynistic? Only a man could write that. It's because women aren't culturally expected to swear, so only men would use the word. It is in fact a remnant of the patriachy when women are expected to be good, subservient, and behave properly. Swearing isn't expected. But women can swear and if they want to they should be able to, and to use any words they choose and not have some bloke saying it's misogynistic.

Alima Sat 19-Oct-19 11:45:34

My language has deteriorated hugely over this last year. I am not proud of the fact but do have a genuine reason. The evil shite giving my DD1 such a bad time right now has stretched my offensive language usage to the extreme. I have been known to use the tw.t word on numerous occasions. Strange, as I loathe hearing anyone else saying it. It does help calm blood pressure I find. Anyway, I googled that very word yesterday. Apparently the main definition of it is to describe a stupid and offensive person. The second given definition is for women’s naughty bits. (I have never used the “c” word, even about him). I agree with Gonegirl though, it does seem rather off showing the “t” word on the home page.

Gonegirl Sat 19-Oct-19 11:43:24

No, I don't think various terms for men's genitalia is the same thing at all. Men are much more casual about their dicks. And dicks are external. Women's genitalia are internal. And have a more profound use than willies which, let's face it are used mainly for the owner's pleasure. To me that makes a big difference.

trisher Sat 19-Oct-19 11:40:56

Oopsminty This word is banned by OFCOM in TV and Radio.
Would you like to post some evidence of this?
It was probabaly like "cunt" little used in the past. But I think both are acceptable now.

Gonegirl Sat 19-Oct-19 11:38:18

Good post OopsMinty.

trisher Sat 19-Oct-19 11:38:04

Gonegirl It's demeaning to women would you like to explain how please? And if it is is are the many terms for male genitalia demeaning to men?
Personally I think its just a word. Women of course are by the norms of polite society not expected to use such words, and if you choose not to that's up to you. The person I've seen use the word "cunt" the most on TV is Kathy Burke and if she wants to I don't see why she shouldn't.
I do agree that if GNHQ disapproved of "fuck" but let "twat" stay they have double standards.

Oopsminty Sat 19-Oct-19 11:30:21

That's what happened to me, SueDonim. I was stunned. I thought it was just a variation of the word twit. My husband put me straight .

Then in later life I heard it used many times in prison and working in deprived areas.

I must point out that I wasn't actually 'in' prison

This word is banned by OFCOM in TV and Radio.

It is not a harmless word.

Richard Dawkins, ( not everyone's cup of tea) tweeted this about the word

If you use "c***" or "twat" as terms of abuse, you forfeit the right to accuse anyone else of misogyny.

This is not bad language. I don't give a hoot about swearing. Do it all the time.

But if I heard any of my grandchildren or children use it I'd be having a fit of the vapours.

Luckily we don't use it in this household.

Gonegirl Sat 19-Oct-19 11:27:16

Yes, but there are no 91 year old at GNHQ. They know what it means.

SueDonim Sat 19-Oct-19 11:23:03

Not everyone knows what the term in question means. My mother recently started using it, as in 'That politician is such a twt.

I had to explain to my 91yo mum what it actually meant! blush

Gonegirl Sat 19-Oct-19 11:13:26

Bump

SirChenjin Fri 18-Oct-19 22:40:37

According to Wikipedia “in his book Filthy English, linguist Peter Silverton asks "Can you distinguish an utter twat from a complete prick? I think you can. An utter twat knows not what he or she does. A complete prick does."”

So perhaps the question posed about Boris on the other thread was incorrect?

Gonegirl Fri 18-Oct-19 22:09:48

That is actually what Maw said. Sorry Maw.

Gonegirl Fri 18-Oct-19 22:08:07

The upside down v's (these things ^) have to be completely squished up against the first and last letters of the post, otherwise it doesn't work.

Barmeyoldbat Fri 18-Oct-19 21:57:38

Well I reported a post recently that I would consider a personal attack on someone. You said they had replied to it and hadn't reported it so left it in. All very confusing.

Oopsminty Fri 18-Oct-19 21:52:20

Thanks, MawB.

That must be why it works sometimes. I really should preview but I forget.

I'm on an Apple MacBook Pro which has a hashtag on the same key as 3 and £.

I'll be damned if I can get the hashtag to work.

MawB Fri 18-Oct-19 21:48:42

You are probably leaving a space before or after the word. If it works sometimes, your keyboard must do it.
^ word ^ as opposed to word
The hashtag is on the same keyboard as numbers , middle row, second from the left on my iPad. #####

Oopsminty Fri 18-Oct-19 21:44:04

I can't quote, MawB.

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

And I don't understand the hashtag thing either. Not on here anyway.

I made the comment because I don't think that everyone is familiar with this word's usage/meaning.

I wonder if I'd made a thread using the same word but naming Jo Swinson instead of Boris Johnson.

Would that be allowed?