Gransnet forums

Site stuff

why can't we continue an existing thread - when it makes much more sense than starting a new one?

(19 Posts)
jura2 Fri 06-Dec-19 13:05:02

With ski season now upon us- wanted to get the thread about skiing going again. Much better to continue the old one as the context was set, and several of us had stated how, why, where we ski.

Surely the 'why not start a new thread' should be advice and not enforced. Thanks.

Rufus2 Sat 07-Dec-19 13:21:10

Exactly! I asked the same question not long ago and the answer amounted to ;"because we've always done it that way!" and *members will get lost and confused within a long thread!" Such members would be even more loster having to switch threads in "mid-stream"
Let the music play on, I say! hmm

JackyB Sat 07-Dec-19 13:33:29

Sometimes it's better to start a new thread, maybe referring to the previous one in the OP. So often you get people posting in response to the earlier posts without checking the date first, and often not even noticing that the original problem has been resolved and things have moved on from there.

MawB Sat 07-Dec-19 13:35:15

I have found two threads on skiing Jura each with only a few posts ( 23 and 17) unless there are more and as I understand it the “advice” is precisely that and up to you. .
A new thread is only mandatory when the previous one has reached 1000 posts.
Prepared to stand corrected!

love0c Sat 07-Dec-19 13:43:36

I have not been on Gransnet through a winter so would just love a ski thread. Be brilliant to hear what people think of ski resorts etc. Is this the new ski thread then? I have only been to Val d'isere , been twice and absolutely loved it. The first time we just bought a pedestrian pass and did the walks and loved going up into the mountains!!! The second time we hired skies and had a go ourselves. My husband got going really well. Me, hmm, well, not so good ha ha. Still loved it though.

SarahGransnet (GNHQ) Sat 07-Dec-19 13:59:13

Hi jura2

Generally speaking, we do this to keep the forums fresh - the idea is that the forums replicate real-life conversation and discussions. So if you think about it, you wouldn't walk up to someone you hadn't seen in a year and carry on a conversation as if no time had past.

We appreciate that there are exceptions, for example with seasonal threads like skiing, so we'll flag it with tech and see what they say. Thanks for raising it.

smile

Rufus2 Sat 07-Dec-19 14:03:04

A new thread is only mandatory when the previous one has reached 1000 posts.

With all due respect, you're missing the point! Why?
Why not 2000? confused[

merlotgran Sat 07-Dec-19 14:19:41

Is it not possible to find the original thread then put a link to it somewhere in the new one so that posters can reference something that might be appropriate?

If they want to.

Rufus2 Sun 08-Dec-19 06:51:56

you wouldn't walk up to someone you hadn't seen in a year and carry on a conversation as if no time had passed.
Sarah; My word I would! "How about that 100 quid you owe me from last Christmas?^ grin
Seriously though; you are keeping a North eye on proceedings , so how many times has the 1,000 cap been reached? Not many, I'll wager, nor come within Coo-ee!.
The whole thing is regs. for regs sake! I suggest removing any talk of a cap and let the threads flow freely! hmm

Rufus2 Sun 08-Dec-19 07:28:29

Is it not possible to find the original thread then put a link to it.
Merlot You're asking for 2 miracles and it's not even Easter ,yet!
1. I have great difficulty sometimes, finding a thread only days old!
2. Putting in a link often causes anguish to some posters. I don't know how
Just let threads flow and let everyone sort it out for themselves! hmm
OoRoo

jura2 Mon 09-Dec-19 11:23:07

loveOc - glad to find another skier on GN- seems like we are very few. Tech team has allowed for the Ski thread to be added to - so will continue there, OK.

Keeeeeeep sking smile

SarahCGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 09-Dec-19 11:24:09

Hi everyone. Starting a new thread is more of a suggestion, and there shouldn't be anything stopping you commenting on an older thread. If someone could send us a link to the thread in question, we can check to see whether there's been a glitch smile

Rufus2 Mon 09-Dec-19 11:45:02

If someone could send us a link to the thread in question, we can check to see whether there's been a glitch
Sarah; you've lost me! confusedCould you please clarify "the thread in question"? Regardless, a common-sense solution appears to have has been reached apparently! Good! wink

Bazza Sun 13-Sep-20 09:35:44

I want to start a new thread about driving while smoking, but I’m not sure how to do it.

Anyway, here goes. How is it legal to drive while smoking? You’re not allowed to eat while driving, fair enough, so how is it legal to fumble around in a fag packet, and then light it, sometimes with fire! What if you drop it in your lap? I’m sure this will be very unpopular with any smokers reading this, I’d be interested to hear your views.

MawB2 Sun 13-Sep-20 09:46:37

A valid comment but who do something inadvisable just because there is not a specific law against it?
I would not want to live in a society where every little thing was the subject of legislation. There are two attitudes - do what you like unless it’s illegal or exercise your own judgement but don’t break the law.
For future reference, to start a thread, go to Forums at the top, choose a forum e.g.chat or news and politics, click on that and you will get “start a new discussion”, you write in your title, your opening post and bingo! It starts a new thread.

MawB2 Sun 13-Sep-20 10:43:31

“Why do” not “who” blush

Don’t mention it! grin

JackyB Sun 13-Sep-20 11:42:33

Bazza,to start a new thread,you go to the "Forums" section, eitther in the Menu on the home page, or, if you are in "Active discussions", at the top of the page. Look through the list of subjects available (e.g. hobbies, technology, style and beauty). You pick the one that your intended new conversation will fit into and click on that.

Then you find the button "Start new discussion". In the mobile version of the site, there is a little "v" at the top right, if you click there you will get the option "Add discussion". Click that and away you go!

MerylStreep Sun 13-Sep-20 11:51:48

Bazza
There is no law to ban from eating while driving. However, if you were in an accident where the police were involved they can use this against you.

MawB2 Sun 13-Sep-20 13:04:17

JackyB

*Bazza*,to start a new thread,you go to the "Forums" section, eitther in the Menu on the home page, or, if you are in "Active discussions", at the top of the page. Look through the list of subjects available (e.g. hobbies, technology, style and beauty). You pick the one that your intended new conversation will fit into and click on that.

Then you find the button "Start new discussion". In the mobile version of the site, there is a little "v" at the top right, if you click there you will get the option "Add discussion". Click that and away you go!

As I said - we can’t both be wrong!