Gransnet forums

Site stuff

Recent "odd" posters & threads

(22 Posts)
phoenix Fri 03-Jan-20 11:21:14

Hello all, and good wishes.

I was just wondering if the spate of rather "unusual" new threads were all started by one person creating several user names, or did we have a strange coincidence whereby GN was targeted by a few rather unsettled people at almost the same time?

gillybob Fri 03-Jan-20 11:28:14

I’m not sure Phoenix but you may have a point . I was quite upset about a post on the New Year melancholy thread so I bumped it in the hope of some help for one of the posters . hmm

phoenix Fri 03-Jan-20 11:33:36

I didn't see that one gillybob but there were some very odd ones yesterday!

lovebeigecardigans1955 Fri 03-Jan-20 11:35:27

I'm not sure either. Suffice to say there are some strange people about who do peculiar things behind the cloak of anonymity.

Urmstongran Fri 03-Jan-20 11:36:26

Boredom in the NY holiday period I expect. Although the post you bumped up was unsettling gillybob. Would a mother really say such a thing? That goes beyond abuse.

SarahCGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 03-Jan-20 11:41:13

Hi all, if you do see any threads which you think are suspicious please report them to us. smile

gillybob Fri 03-Jan-20 11:41:33

That’s what has got me thinking Urmstongran . Could anyone really be so cruel ? In a way I hope it was a hoax post . IYSWIM

phoenix Fri 03-Jan-20 11:43:53

We did, SarahC and you removed them!

I was just wondering if the threads I was thinking of were all started by the same person, or it was one of those random coincidences.

Smileless2012 Fri 03-Jan-20 11:44:25

I agree Pheonix there appear to be a few 'new' members to GN whose posts are extremely like others who aren't posting at the moment.

annsixty Fri 03-Jan-20 11:50:06

I did wonder about the New Year Melancholy one but replied anyway.
I do hope it was a hoax, I hate to think of anyone going through that.
If it was however, it is very cruel to upset people like that.

Grammaretto Fri 03-Jan-20 12:44:58

I am not so sure. Sadly a woman I know who is getting increasingly immobile, frustrated and depressed , could quite easily say things such as that poster did.

She isn't always down though and doesn't have a dreadful DH which was the reason why you sent her (the poster on the NYE thread) to get help. I hope she has.

LullyDully Fri 03-Jan-20 13:44:49

I got an ear bashing for not " understanding" white slavery....which I believe I do!!!! Patronising I felt.

Greenfinch Fri 03-Jan-20 13:48:01

I didn't see this one but I think all the strange ones yesterday were started by the same person.Although we are not supposed to comment on people's grammar and spelling these posts were all equally bad grammatically and reminded me of a semi literate school child.

phoenix Fri 03-Jan-20 14:39:48

That's what I thought Greenfinch, same style, different user names.

One thread is still alive, but has been sort of "hi jacked" wink

Fiachna50 Fri 03-Jan-20 16:29:01

Im sorry but I don't know what folks on here are referring to. I know I can come across as nippy but hopefully haven't posted anything offensive to anyone.

Greenfinch Fri 03-Jan-20 17:00:52

Don't worryFiachna these were totally weird about children being possessed by the devil and a mother throwing alcohol in her son's eyes as punishment.Theywere not necessarily offensive just very odd.

Beechnut Fri 03-Jan-20 17:02:32

Fiachna50 have a look at the iPhone thread from yesterday on the technology forum.

Beechnut Fri 03-Jan-20 17:03:34

I didn’t see that one Greenfinch

Greenfinch Fri 03-Jan-20 17:10:13

There were 3 Beechnut and they have all been deleted.

M0nica Fri 03-Jan-20 17:16:40

I missed the alcohol throwing one but there was a third about a child claiming to Multiple Personality Disorder.

I tend to say I think it is a hoax and then give plain practical advice about referring the child to social services or something similar, so that if by one chance in a million isn't a hoax I have made a practical suggestion.

What puzzles me, is what sort of answers, they hoaxer is hoping for. Did the hoaxer think we would all be blind believers in the occult? Or be clucking around like headless chickens worrying about the child?

I wish when warning off hoaxers it was possible for GN HQ to add a remark like 'Pull the other leg, it has bells on' or similar comments.

phoenix Fri 03-Jan-20 17:27:08

M0nica The alcohol throwing, actually referred to a mother who's son had gone blind from "eyeballing" alcohol (although she didn't use that phrase) she thought she would sort him out/ punish him by putting alcohol in his eye medication! shock

I think the MPD one has been deleted. And possibly the possession/raising something?

BlueBelle Fri 03-Jan-20 17:32:03

I did report those devil child ones as they were referring to each other by Christian names so I presume come on to make trouble a They were quickly deleted so I think it was a couple of trouble makers