Gransnet forums

Site stuff

PM deletion messages

(23 Posts)

GNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

Eloethan Thu 09-Apr-20 22:54:06

I received an email alert of a pm. I went into the inbox and found two or three read and one unread message marked something like "this message has been removed at the user's request". Has anyone else had this happen lately? I do recall a while ago several posters raised this issue but I haven't seen anyone complain of it recently.

Marydoll Thu 09-Apr-20 23:08:37

If a poster clears out their Inbox, it automatically removes the PM from the inbox of the poster they sent it to.

Chewbacca Thu 09-Apr-20 23:16:05

I think there was a discussion about this a while ago Eloethan and, if my memory is right, I think someone also mooted that HQ could clear out pms to give more space on their memory bank. I might well be wide of the mark but I do remember several people saying that, when they'd checked their pms, they were showing as some having been deleted but neither the sender, nor the recipient had done it. I'm sure someone with a better memory than me will be along shortly.

May7 Thu 09-Apr-20 23:24:16

Yes this has just happened to me before I could read the messages 2 were deleted. GNHQ please explain.

Chewbacca Thu 09-Apr-20 23:34:02

This is the thread from February 2019

www.gransnet.com/forums/site_stuff/1258199-Deleted-PMs-This-is-important?pg=1&order=

Eloethan Fri 10-Apr-20 01:19:19

Thanks Chewacca. It seems a lot of people were quite upset about messages being deleted and it appears that the matter was never satisfactorily resolved.

Gransnet said it was just a technical issue and that it happens when posters empty their inbox. However, for a variety of reasons, several people said that could not have been the case. Very odd.

quizqueen Fri 10-Apr-20 01:30:03

I want to know how to block people sending personal messages to me. You're all strangers to me; joining in discussions on a public forum shouldn't mean that personal messages can be sent unless requested!

Marydoll Fri 10-Apr-20 07:30:20

quizqueen, go to your inbox, open the message and there is a faculty to block the sender to the right hand side above the post.

PamelaJ1 Fri 10-Apr-20 07:35:58

Thanks for this, I’ve just checked my box and found a message.
quizqueen, just go on occasionally and delete them. If you don’t want to read them.
My last message was from a poster who was going through a similar experience to me. No one else on the thread would have been interested so it can be a good means of ‘closure’.
I’ve never had an unfriendly or unhelpful pm.

I don’t want emails all the time from GN but would love notification of pm’s. Is that possible?

Baggs Fri 10-Apr-20 07:36:18

quizqueen, the system's default setting for private messages is that they can be sent to your inbox. If you don't want any private messages, go to your inbox, click on "Settings" and tick the box marked "Block all private messages".

Baggs Fri 10-Apr-20 07:38:04

Yes, pamelaJ1. Again, go to inbox. Go to settings. Put a tick against the other box, which says something like "Get email notification of new messages".

BlueSapphire Fri 10-Apr-20 07:44:07

A poster and I had been exchanging PMs; she left the site for a while and I found that all her PMs had been deleted 'at the poster's request '.

BlueBelle Fri 10-Apr-20 08:03:05

bluesapphire my understanding is that that situation happens automatically The wording is very confusing and really shouldn’t say it’s at posters request
I had some pms disappear with that message and when I asked the poster why? had I offend them inadvertently? they assured my they had not deleted them at all

Marydoll Fri 10-Apr-20 09:04:41

If a poster closes their account, all the PMs they have previously sent are also deleted from the recipients Inbox.

simarden Sun 19-Sep-21 21:27:01

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

Chewbacca Sun 19-Sep-21 21:30:26

Reported as spam

welbeck Sun 19-Sep-21 21:47:59

what exactly is spam, apart from spiced ham, and how does it differ from advertising, if it does ?
from ancient manuscriber.

EstherGransnet (GNHQ) Sun 19-Sep-21 21:56:35

Hi there welbeck,

Advertising is paid for. Spam is unsolicited and doesn't necessarily try to sell you something - you could for example send spam (unsolicited messages, usually sent in bulk) to spread a message or further a campaign.

NotTooOld Sun 19-Sep-21 22:09:25

I had forgotten all about my in-box (if I ever knew I had one) until this thread reminded me. I've just checked it and found a few messages from nice people which I never knew I had. I can only apologise for ignoring you - you know who you are!

Elegran Sun 19-Sep-21 22:43:57

I think it includes any unasked-for bulk mailings about anything, as well as advertising ones wanting you to buy something. Ones wanting you to visit their website, purely so that they will get lots of clicks and move up the Google popularity list, exhortations to repent and mend your ways and go to church, petitions to sign, warnings that your laptop will die horribly unless you click on a link so that the writer can fix it for you, notifications that a friend is stranded in Outer Mongolia and needs you to wire £5,000 cash to him in the next half-hour to prevent him being thrown into jail for vagrancy. That kind of thing.

Shinamae Sun 19-Sep-21 22:51:02

“This message has been removed at user request”…… that’s what it says in my inbox on several messages, I must say I found it a bit odd..

ElaineI Sun 19-Sep-21 23:05:13

Hadn't looked at my inbox for months. Forgot about it. Looked last week and there was a rude one as well as a couple of genuine ones. Replied to them - sorry for late replies. Deleted the rude one - spam.

MayBeMaw Sun 19-Sep-21 23:19:31

There’s a few spammers abroad tonight.
They must assume HQ are watching the TV ? or eating ?