Gransnet forums

Site stuff

HQ PLEASE LISTEN

(23 Posts)
Greymar Sat 11-Apr-20 11:53:25

Please, I have asked and been fobbed off. Look at the " Do you ever feel this will never be over " thread.

People are suffering. Please provide some support. I presume this is a business and you make a profit. In these terrible times please provide some help.

rosenoir Sat 11-Apr-20 12:08:17

It is up to us to support each other GNHQ have no special qualifications, they do a great job of moderating but are not there to provide support.

I can imagine if their support was not what was expected there would be outrage and criticism as there is to members who some do not agree with.

Lisagran Sat 11-Apr-20 12:12:25

Perhaps there could be a ‘pinned’ post of useful phone numbers / addresses - Samaritans, Women’s Refuge, Govt financial help, etc. ?

quizqueen Sat 11-Apr-20 12:18:56

What exactly do you expect the owners of a public online forum to do? My local village stores and community centre is organising deliveries and other voluntary help for the vulnerable; you need to look locally for assistance, if you need anything

Anniebach Sat 11-Apr-20 12:24:55

Greymar what is it you are asking for ?

sodapop Sat 11-Apr-20 12:32:42

Greymar I think you are getting overly anxious and stressed by all this. Have you talked to your GP or practice Nurse about how you feel. Please try and get some more local help, there must be others who are feeling as you do. Take care cafe thanks

SueDonim Sat 11-Apr-20 12:33:03

If you go to the GN home page there are lots of links. www.gransnet.com/

GNHQ aren’t professionals advisors so I’m not sure what else they could do.

lemongrove Sat 11-Apr-20 12:35:37

I echo what others say....GNHQ just provide the forum for us to chat and give help/tips to each other.
What would you hope they would do Greymar?

notanan2 Sat 11-Apr-20 12:37:32

It is up to us to support each other GNHQ have no special qualifications, they do a great job of moderating but are not there to provide support.

Other forums have signposting templates with links to the relevant support agencies
INCLUDING MN which GN is part of so they already have the resources available

Greymar Sat 11-Apr-20 12:37:59

sodapop and others, I appreciate your concern very much. I am indeed, anxious and concerned. I feel sad that people off load and thats good but there is no follow up. This is not a normal or everyday situation.

I think GN could fairly easily set up a confidential help line. This is not their remit, fair enough.

geekesse Sat 11-Apr-20 13:12:58

Greymar, a confidential helpline is a big ask, and not at all easy to setup or operate. Who would man it? How would one check their credentials? What would be the fallout if they gave inappropriate advice? How would GN protect confidentiality? It’s a complete non-starter IMHO.

merlotgran Sat 11-Apr-20 13:21:41

I'm going to be unpopular saying this but Greymar, please try and get a grip

Your anxiety is palpable on your threads but what on earth do you expect from GNHQ.

I think the thread title in shouty capitals is unfair. Gransnet is for everyone. We're trying to support eachother in these difficult times and that includes HQ.

Everyone is doing their very best to cope.

Esspee Sat 11-Apr-20 13:22:17

@Greymar. You are on Gransnet, not a government website. What exactly do you expect HQ to do?

Callistemon Sat 11-Apr-20 13:30:30

Greymar on the thread you mention which you started, another Gransnetter has offered to be a support by telephone to anyone who may need it.
Perhaps you could take her up on her kind offer. Just having someone to talk to on the phone may help.

Anniebach Sat 11-Apr-20 13:39:23

I worked for years for two helplines, setting up a helpline costs
money, once money is raised then volenteers to man the phoned, volenteers have to be trained , training costs.

Volenteers are placed in groups with someone overseeing, calls are recorded.

It took 10 years for Samaritans to have several branches,
Chad Varah started with one phone then members of his church whom he knew joined in to help him.

Chardy Sat 11-Apr-20 13:49:06

Not sure I agree with several posters above. A list (especially if it already exists elsewhere on the website) wouldn't take long to pin. And a list collating some of the good practice that Gransnetters are organising or participating in would be good - I suppose we could start a thread of good CV19 community practice, but they do disappear quite quickly, and it's going to be a while before lockdown is over.
(Regarding suggesting someone seeing a dr! Really? It takes several weeks to get an appointment normally, I would imagine it takes a lot longer now)

Greymar Sat 11-Apr-20 13:54:50

merlot, it's OK. I can take that on the chin. I have indeed in recent days got a grip.

The word " unprecendented " is perhaps overused but this is. Everybody is different and everybody has different strengths and qualities to draw from. Also people have differing amounts of resilience and this ebbs and flows.

EllanVannin Sat 11-Apr-20 13:56:32

From where I'm sitting we all have to help ourselves, nobody can do that for us. It's entirely up to each individual to follow the guidelines as per instruction by the Government.

Greymar Sat 11-Apr-20 13:56:33

Espee, that sort of thing helps nobody.

This is a popular forum with a reasonable amount of traffic. We are in the midst of a national crisis. I think some of the profits could be used to provide another level of care for people. Thats it. Anyway, it ain't going to be happening.

Anniebach Sat 11-Apr-20 13:57:52

Google - helpline for depression/ anxiety/ suicide / bereavement etc, check they are registered charities

Beware of people offering private counselling, check they are
qualified and expect to be charged approx £70 per hour

FarNorth Sat 11-Apr-20 14:07:08

Thanks for mentioning the home page SueDonim. There are indeed a lot of useful, relevant links there.

I always come straight to the forums and forget to look at home page.

SueDonim Sat 11-Apr-20 14:20:24

Yes, Farnorth I forget to look too, but I thought GN would have some thing on their home page.

I’ll post it again in case Greymar and others have missed it.

www.gransnet.com/

SarahCGransnet (GNHQ) Sun 12-Apr-20 21:29:01

Hi everyone, and thanks so much for your comments. We do have a pinned thread with a list of resources - you can find it here. We've just added a couple more, but please add anything else you think could be useful. Thank you, GNHQ thanks.