Gransnet forums

Site stuff

An awful lot of nastiness these days, don’t you think?

(118 Posts)
Daddima Tue 12-May-20 12:54:20

I think it’s sad that a great opportunity for discussion is being lost, when so many of us are missing interaction. I’d really be interested to hear others’ opinions on a topic, but it seems to me that so many threads descend into insults and name calling if your point of view isn’t agreed with. Would it be so difficult just to respectfully put forward your thoughts or opinions without feeling you have to make unkind comments on other posters’ views?
I’m sure it puts people off adding their opinions, as well as being tedious to trawl through a post full of infighting .

GrannyLaine Thu 14-May-20 15:06:29

Goodness Barmey do you actually mean 'a long bush of white hair'?? blush
I'd probably qualify for the coven with no modifications. Its the eyebrows..........

Barmeyoldbat Thu 14-May-20 14:43:39

lemongrove, no problem with warts, I can easily stick a dried up raisin on my face.

lemongrove Thu 14-May-20 11:30:28

Please, enter our cave Barmey ....although ?strictly speaking you should have warts.Still, we mustn’t be sticklers.?

Barmeyoldbat Thu 14-May-20 11:27:26

Coven, yes can I join you I have the hairstyle, a long bush of white hair plus a few more wrinkles

GrannyLaine Thu 14-May-20 08:27:34

I find the patches of nastiness really difficult. It should be possible to debate topics of current interest without resorting to personal attack because someone takes a different view to your own. Those who are prone making incorrect assumptions about others would do well sometimes to take a deep breath and think about what they write. I have learned to skim over posts by some that I know are likely to be irrelevant to me. We are all living through difficult times, for all sorts of reasons.

Lucca Thu 14-May-20 07:44:48

Plus ça change, plus c’est la même chose......
Could be applied to the odd thread !

MawB Thu 14-May-20 07:35:48

Sorry Furret blushblush

Marydoll Thu 14-May-20 07:12:02

Oh I never noticed the grave, oooh I'm doubly impressed.

How about this?
Il n’y a pas plus sourd que celui qui ne veut pas entendre

Very appropriate for this thread.

No one is as deaf as the one who does not want to listen

Feelingmyage55 Thu 14-May-20 00:30:21

Not only a circumflex also a grave AND correctly quoted.

Chewbacca Wed 13-May-20 23:58:34

Now you're just showing off Lemon! grin

lemongrove Wed 13-May-20 23:48:40

Could the portait be a bit like the one that Dorian Grey had do you think??

Callistemon Wed 13-May-20 23:40:25

I did ask about my portrait, it was in your post Marydoll
Somehow I look a bit younger, photo-shopped, probably.

I like an accent now and again, especially a French one.
Très romantique
But that's another story.

Marydoll Wed 13-May-20 23:35:42

Furret, most impressed, we don't see a circumflex here very often. ?

Marydoll Wed 13-May-20 23:33:04

Oh my brain is really fuddled now?
I thought you were asking what I had done with your portrait!
New glasses or bed methinks.
Off to brew a sleeping draught. ???

See in maths class tomorrow, Callistemon.
Night all!

Callistemon Wed 13-May-20 23:30:53

Back to the debate, sorry!!

Perhaps at anxious times, people use an internet forum to vent their wrath, their anger on those who may have a different (but equally valid) viewpoint because they feel helpless, out of control, and they forget that there is another person who is on the receiving end of their unpleasant remarks.
Some may go away and be very upset, brood about it and have no-one in RL with whom they can share their feelings.

Furret Wed 13-May-20 23:28:58

À chacun son goût!

lemongrove Wed 13-May-20 23:28:32

You may suck all the acid drops yourself furret ....I certainly have to think of my teeth these days, so no sweets for me.

Have brought my own pint glass from the Argy....fill it up with eye of newt gin please! Hic ?

maddyone Wed 13-May-20 23:27:30

Yum yum, sounds delicious.

Callistemon Wed 13-May-20 23:24:33

It's full of gin, I have scooped out the frogs' legs and newts' eyes. There may be some bits of snake left in, just aim them into the spittoon.

Only lime drops, Furret we dont want no acid drops in the gin.

So that's where my portrait got to, Marydoll!

maddyone Wed 13-May-20 23:24:09

I saw the post about the coven yesterday. It was a horrid post, but thumbs up to you girls for making a joke out of it. It’s the best way to deal with it.

Furret Wed 13-May-20 23:21:33

Perish the thought!

I wouldn’t dream of posting, as an example, that someone has ‘run out of rational debating skills’.

lemongrove Wed 13-May-20 23:18:21

grin

Marydoll Wed 13-May-20 23:15:20

Furret, I didn't read the previous posts and my fuddled brain thought you were being nasty by posting acid drops.?
Sorry!?
See how easy it can be to misinterpret posts. I shall join Callistemon in the coven.?‍♀️

Furret Wed 13-May-20 23:03:44

Acid drops

lemongrove Wed 13-May-20 23:02:40

Haha Callistemon the ( supposed) insult of being in a coven is levelled by posters at anyone they simply don’t like.grin
Usually when they have run out of rational debating skills.
Got any spare newts? Have just thought up a really good spell.?
Being in a coven could be a nice social outing at the moment,
Does the cauldron have any gin in it?