Gransnet forums

Site stuff

NB There are men on Gransnet

(157 Posts)
kittylester Tue 07-Jul-20 17:34:23

Please note everyone!

Please stop saying things like ' thank you ladies'.

Callistemon Fri 17-Jul-20 16:12:18

Some reds are better chilled.
Pinot Noir is one.

Davidhs Fri 17-Jul-20 16:11:04

I’ve had chilled red wine in Brisbane, when it’s 35c couthness goes out of the window, I’m not too keen on XXXX these days.

dustyangel Thu 16-Jul-20 15:48:32

Furret do you really refrigerate red wine? At around 11 o’clock this morning a box of good Portuguese red wine went in the fridge next to the remains of the previous box. It was 33°C then.

Rufus2 Thu 16-Jul-20 13:40:36

What a lovely tribute to him to take his name
Furret Thank you! I still try to live up to be the wonderful person he thought I was.! grin

But do you really refrigerate red wine?
Of course not! We're more couth than that; always served at room temp, unless it's 35+C, then we switch to "coldies" which are beers straight out of the frig. and then we're not too fussed about which brand! XXXX or whatever! confused
Good Health wine wine wine
OoRoo

Purplepixie Thu 16-Jul-20 13:26:30

I don’t have any problems with men being on this site and I welcome their points of view.

Rufus2 Thu 16-Jul-20 13:20:30

There was a song called Rambling Rose, Were you quoting from that, Rufus ?
Elegran Me again! smile Yes, but sorry, I gave you a bum steer about Julie London; I must be getting old because I confused things with another favourite song "I'm glad there is you" by Julie which I was also watching; Natalie Cole has a version of that, although a bit too jazzy!
The best version so far, IMO is by "The Romantic Voices", which always "gets me"!

In this world of ordinary people
I'm glad there is you
In this world of overrated pleasures
And underrated treasures
I'm glad there is you
Beautifully sung! and No! That's not a flirt! blush
Good Health
OoRoo

Rufus2 Thu 16-Jul-20 12:41:48

are you next door to the northern territory, in queensland
welbeck Queensland is, but I'm "domiciled" in Victoria, about 3,000 km from Cairns, about 2 days by train via Brisbane allowing for changes! hmm
If you are in Blighty we here in VIC are 9 hours ahead of you and it's now precisely 9.37pm Thursday! and Cold!
Good Health
Cheers

Lucca Thu 16-Jul-20 12:17:33

Fennel

What about Hinney then? That used to be common around here.

Where I grew up too, along with “pet”.

Rufus2 Thu 16-Jul-20 12:15:43

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Callistemon Thu 16-Jul-20 11:27:35

Is it better than 'duck'?

Quack quack.

Iam64 Thu 16-Jul-20 09:07:13

If you're lucky enough to live in the north west, being called "love" is part of every day life.

welbeck Wed 15-Jul-20 20:16:18

if someone like checkout boy calls me, love, i reply in a sing=song voice, thank you sweetie-pie.

Fennel Wed 15-Jul-20 19:36:10

What about Hinney then? That used to be common around here.

grannyrebel7 Wed 15-Jul-20 19:12:31

Hi Hunni - sorry I hate that too smile! Don't mind ladies or guys. Really hate being called love! I once reprimanded a boy on the checkout at Morrison's who called me love. I told him it wasn't PC these days to use that term. He went red from his neck right up to the top of his head. I felt awful afterwards.

Galaxy Wed 15-Jul-20 18:55:12

Grumppa I am sure you dont care but you have just earned a million brownie points from me for using the word sex correctly.

grumppa Wed 15-Jul-20 18:26:32

Sorry my sex (I don’t do gender) was unclear, 3nanny6. I thought the pa was a giveaway.

Furret, I shall continue to try to be model of restraint. I have only once been accused of mansplaining, so I think It doing OK so far.

Somebody asked why the men joined. Mrs. Grumppa showed it to me, but did not feel like becoming active herself. I found it interesting and entertaining, and like Oscar Wilde, I could resist everything except temptation.

Lucca Wed 15-Jul-20 17:04:24

blondenana

I hate being called Hun, it's just another one of those trends that hopefully will die out,it makes me cringe

Specially when coupled with “Awww”

Davidhs Wed 15-Jul-20 17:03:33

Craven Cowards

I have been watching this thread but as I was contributing (arguing) on other topics I refrained. I even made the apparently mortal sin of referring to “ladies”, which I thought was a polite address for the fair sex. Not so it seems they just want to be plain “women”, they are not ladies at all, so be it I will try to comply.

I do enjoy the variety of opinions on this forum and it has been mentioned there are misandrists, there are a few other extremists too, it all makes for a lively forum.

blondenana Wed 15-Jul-20 17:01:00

I hate being called Hun, it's just another one of those trends that hopefully will die out,it makes me cringe

Callistemon Wed 15-Jul-20 16:46:09

Rufus it's only just occurred to me that, although XXXX is popular in Queensland, it's named after a town in Victoria.

I've never actually drunk it myself grin
A nice Clare Valley Riesling is more my tipple of choice.

welbeck Wed 15-Jul-20 16:22:18

thank you Roo.
i think we actually had an australian teacher who didn't seem to know this. but she was unsuccessful actress, not a teacher.
are you next door to the northern territory, in queensland.
what is the time there now. what's the weather.
it's been a bit dull here today, overcast, with sprinkling of rain.

Rufus2 Wed 15-Jul-20 15:14:37

is the northern territory a state in australia
welbeck Good Evening!
No! As the name implies it is exactly that; a Territory' We have six States, and two territories, the latter being the Northern and the ACT, (the Australian Capital Territory) the home of Parliament/Canberra.
OoRoo

welbeck Tue 14-Jul-20 17:07:10

Rufus2, a question given your domicile and historical reach,
is the northern territory a state in australia.
when i was at school we learnt it as one of them,
much later i heard a protracted dispute on a radio quiz where someone insisted it was not. that a territory was not a state.

Rufus2 Tue 14-Jul-20 15:15:35

craven cowards
Grandad Agreed! Way back when, Elegran advertised for help in persuading gents not to be afraid of reporting any medical symptoms to a GP immediately.
That went down like the proverbial lead balloon.! grin
Although I can quite understand them keeping a low profile!
When I enlisted 2 years ago I was welcomed with open arms; "Look a MAN and from overseas too!" A "furriner" as one remarked!
The first thing to notice was the almost complete absence of gents and when I asked where were they, "in Grandad's Shed" hmm
It wasn't long before the resident misandrists turned up and I believe it's their antics that kept me hooked., but now they appear to have mellowed. Other things must be occupying their minds, I guess!
Good Health
OoRoo

Furret Tue 14-Jul-20 15:12:33

Rufus2

^what happened to Rufus1?^
Furret He died! He was a lovely Border Collie, very affectionate and intelligent and I simply continued in my usual role as No.2 in his memory'
Incidentally, I've moved up the social ladder from Fosters to Shiraz! If the weather is hot, as it sometimes is, a "coldie" straight out of the frig. a Queensland beer, XXXX of which Callistemon would approve!
Good Health wine wine wine
OoRoo

Sorry to read of Rufus 1’s demise. What a lovely tribute to him to take his name.

But do you really refrigerate red wine?