Gransnet forums

Site stuff

Troll hunting and thread deletions

(721 Posts)
LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 18-Aug-20 22:29:37

Hello
We wanted to clear a few things up:
1) We don't allow troll hunting on the forums. If you are worried someone may not be genuine, please email us directly or report any concerning posts to us. We will deal with it. Making accusations on the forums is not helpful and could, if incorrect, lead to possibly vulnerable people feeling victimised. We will have to delete threads that accuse other users of being trolls.
2) PMs. We take a very dim view of this being abused. If you receive an unwanted or unkind PM please report it to us. We can take a look and deal with it. You are also able to block other users so that they are no longer able to PM you. Please use this. And apologies in advance if this does happen to you. It's not nice and not what Gransnet is about at all.
3) Despite what it feels like tonight hmm we do not enjoy deleting threads. We have a handful of guidelines, all there with the purpose of making the threads better, and more welcoming for users. We are doing our best and rely on you to report things to us that seem concerning, so thank you for caring so much about the site and reporting anything that looks suspicious.

Thank you
GNHQ

Charleygirl5 Mon 24-Aug-20 22:17:22

Trying to get a person sacked is the lowest of the low, whether jobs are plentiful or not.

phoenix Mon 24-Aug-20 22:16:16

seacliff thank you.

I appreciate that I can be a bit "marmite" in that not everyone will appreciate my posting style!

Chewbacca Mon 24-Aug-20 22:14:22

Well, I'm just sorry that you had to be on the receiving end of a total stranger's mendacity Phoenix. It's depressing to think that they were actually willing to pay good money to see the act through. Seacliff is probably right; jealousy was probably at the root of it but that doesn't excuse what they did.

seacliff Mon 24-Aug-20 22:08:10

How sad it is, that some people can be so devious and nasty, to a totally innocent person. Perhaps they were jealous of your popularity here Phoenix? I remember it then, but hadn't realised the person was never "apprehended". Quite concerning.

I just hope that karma does exist for these unkind people.

Charleygirl5 Mon 24-Aug-20 22:06:05

I know, it was Edinburgh!

phoenix Mon 24-Aug-20 22:01:28

Chewbacca it actually cost them over £2 in postage, and that was over 3 years ago, so they really meant it!

The post mark was from either Glasgow or Edinburgh, can't remember which.

Charleygirl5 Mon 24-Aug-20 22:00:10

Prior to that, it was a very worrying time for phoenix. I do not know exactly where she lives but I was well aware that jobs in her neck of the woods were few and far between. I was also aware that transport was non-existent and her husband also amazingly had to get to work.

She was ecstatic to have found that job and had settled in very well when this GN decided to stick in the knife. Those of us who "knew" phoenix were delighted she had found a job which was a couple of miles from where she lived.

Yes, Chewbacca she did a lot of homework and I do not think that GNHQ or phoenix had a clue to the person's identity. We know the city from where she posted the damning evidence but a lot of GNs live there.

Chewbacca Mon 24-Aug-20 21:41:17

Why, would someone I had never met, having read on here of all the troubles I had had, want to try to make me lose my job?

That's what I'm struggling to come to terms with Phoenix; why? I've tried to be generous of spirit and thought that maybe they're lonely, with nothing much to do. But that doesn't make a normal, rational person do the detective work to track you and then go to the trouble of writing the damned letter, sticking it in an envelope, sticking a stamp on it and taking it to the letter box to post it. It's all too calculated and thought out to be a one-off act. It seems to be the act of a mendacious, driven and spiteful person to me. And I'm not at all sure I want to be mixing with them, albeit unaware of who they are.

phoenix Mon 24-Aug-20 21:35:47

Thank you Lemongrove but obviously there was/is someone who disliked/hated me enough to do that!

lemongrove Mon 24-Aug-20 21:31:59

I see Phoenix ( how they managed to do it) it’s more the ‘why’ isn’t it, as I doubt you have/ had a single enemy on this forum, as you stick to mainly upbeat threads.
We have had a plethora of iffy threads in the last year, I hope it stops, am finding GN a strange site just lately.☹️

phoenix Mon 24-Aug-20 21:26:08

lemongrove I was stupid enough to post where my new job was, because I was so proud of the items that were made there! (Still am, actually)

So, easy for someone to find it, and as my (now) late boss's name was on the website, not difficult to get the info to write a letter marked for his attention only.

But what concerned me more, was the sheer spite behind it! Why, would someone I had never met, having read on here of all the troubles I had had, want to try to make me lose my job?

Bellanonna Mon 24-Aug-20 21:16:11

Apologies, MD, I see you have reported it.

tickingbird Mon 24-Aug-20 21:12:33

Wow. I find it really weird. The nastiness inside some people, and usually it’s the outwardly pleasant, respectable ones, astounds me. I still prefer to stay anonymous on here and to be honest I don’t really come on much anymore. I find quite a lot of posts on here rather strange and that’s being polite. I’m sure for the most part it’s a good site and there’s much positivity and support but there’s definitely an edge too and I don’t much care for it.

Bellanonna Mon 24-Aug-20 21:10:18

Marydoll I’m astonished at the very unpleasant PM someone had the audacity to send you. I do hope you’ve reported it.

lemongrove Mon 24-Aug-20 21:09:41

Hope that you’re feeling better about the rotten PM now Marydoll ....a glass of cold champagne???

Phoenix I have never understood how anyone from the forum could have tracked down your boss ( his name and address) it’s beyond bizarre, and why?!

phoenix Mon 24-Aug-20 21:02:05

jenpax hope you rose above it.

jenpax Mon 24-Aug-20 20:55:37

My sympathies Phoenix. I have had two people try to get me sacked from my post one was a next door neighbour with whom we had been in dispute who wrote to the trustees of the charity that I was employed by at the time stating that as I held a position of some responsibility and was well known in the community I wasn’t a fit person to hold the post and should be sacked!
The second was our local MP! In a different town (different Job) who had objected to me speaking (as a private citizen) at a political rally and felt that I was using my position in the community to influence the electors contrary to the impartiality demanded by my organisation. In both cases they happily got nowhere but I was still very angry at the attempt to sabotage my career especially as I was the sole bread winner for 3 children and a disabled DH, it felt especially spiteful

phoenix Mon 24-Aug-20 20:30:21

Mawb2 been there, done that, although many years ago!

tickingbird I have been a member since before GN existed (sounds odd, but true) I have
had more support than can be imagined over the years, and have been the recipient of such generosity during difficult times.

I shared some stories of my efforts to find a new job after redundancy, and received a lot of support and help from various members.

However it would seem that someone decided that rather than being pleased for me that I had finally found the right job, they would try to get me sacked!

Well, it didn't work.

Actually, I feel a bit sorry for whoever it was, what a sad person they must be to try to get someone sacked after that person (me) had done everything possible to be in gainful employment, rather than on benefit.

tickingbird Mon 24-Aug-20 19:51:34

Phoenix Your experience was before my time on here but my goodness that’s scary. That’s the problem with SM. We don’t know what characters lurk behind their online persona. I, personally, never give too much away about my rl and other members should make sure they don’t either in my opinion.

MawB2 Mon 24-Aug-20 19:44:10

Although dismounting is still a tad disconcerting

I used to find it quite easy - painful but easy. Just try jumping without stirrups ???

MawB2 Mon 24-Aug-20 19:42:28

I will be upfront but there are some vicious bitches around

Hattie strongly resents being bracketed with these people ?.
But I agree wholeheartedly.

NanKate Mon 24-Aug-20 19:40:37

Let’s hear it for our Mary ??????

phoenix Mon 24-Aug-20 19:32:41

Thank you to those who posted in response to my post of 18.22.

It was particularly hurtful as it was after I had been made redundant and had a series of pretty awful jobs.

The job I got and which thankfully I still have had for more than 5 years, meant the world to me, and to think that someone on here could have gone to the lengths of printing an (admittedly ill advised) post of mine off and posting it to my (now deceased) boss, with the instruction on the envelope "Only to be opened by xxxxx" still upsets me.

Marydoll Mon 24-Aug-20 19:09:11

Thank you all for your kind words. I reported the PM and received a prompt and kind response from GNHQ, who have dealt with the matter.

As for this poster, I have never had any previous interaction with her. People are speculating, but it's not who you think it is!
However, this person seems to know all about me or thinks they do.
Perhaps I too have a stalker. ? I didn't realise I was that interesting. grin.
The PM says more about the author than it does about me. She is to be pitied for having such a sour outlook on life.

Candelle Mon 24-Aug-20 19:00:56

Marydoll
The type of person who would take the time and trouble to write to you personally with such an ill-judged and thoughtless (nay, sick) mail is a very troubled person.

Please take heart that the author of such a mail is jealous of your wonderfully happy day and just wants to spoil your well deserved happiness.

Don't let them.

You have many wonderful memories of that special day:
they don't and are jealous of you- which is why they want to spoil yours.

Don't let them!

Please don't dwell on this nastiness and instead continue to enjoy your happy memories.