Gransnet forums

Site stuff

Problem with posting in an existing thread

(39 Posts)
ChrissyR Sat 05-Sep-20 19:12:26

Hi, I only joined yesterday and I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong but I don’t seem to be able to add my post to an existing thread. I read the instructions and it says to click on ‘add comment’ which I’m doing but my post is just coming up separately and not where I wanted it to go. Hope someone can help. ChrissyR

NatashaGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 11-Sep-20 17:20:37

Hi all,

Just to say that we have turned off these email notifications alerting you when someone has posted on a thread you're watching, while we investigate this issue with the multiple emails. smile

Elegran Fri 11-Sep-20 09:06:05

Have you done something to annoy them at GNHQ, MawB?

MawB2 Fri 11-Sep-20 09:01:05

Twenty minutes later I get another three.
Enough, already!
I have never had these before and realise it is a glitch, but a very annoying one!

Charleygirl5 Fri 11-Sep-20 08:42:52

I am never told via email that somebody has commented but 99% of the time I am told if somebody has PMed me which I do appreciate.

Marydoll Fri 11-Sep-20 08:32:02

I'm not getting those messages, Maw, but then again I haven't had any PMs either!

MawB2 Fri 11-Sep-20 08:28:41

I am being deluged with emails telling me “Somebody has commented on the thread” - what thread? Why should I need to know? My email inbox is groaning under the weight.
I have had to unsubscribe to any emails (which I assume will include PM’s) to stop this!

Marydoll Wed 09-Sep-20 22:20:28

My tablet keeps switching between the desktop and mobile sites. It's driving me crazy.

Blinko Mon 07-Sep-20 20:50:39

I too remember when we received Notifications when someone commented on a thread we were already on. I have raised it with the GN IT team but they seem to have changed so no one knows what I'm on about. I was reassured to see some people remembered it.

Callistemon Mon 07-Sep-20 17:34:40

ChrissyR

Thanks everyone. I’ve now started doing the username with asterisks when I reply to posts.

ChrissyR

I did notice that someone (nor a regular poster as far as I know) got quite annoyed when someone highlighted their name in a reply to their post!

But it is a usual way of addressing another poster.

ChrissyR Mon 07-Sep-20 17:02:03

Thanks everyone. I’ve now started doing the username with asterisks when I reply to posts.

dustyangel Mon 07-Sep-20 12:04:01

Maybe not on mobile site JackyB.

dustyangel Mon 07-Sep-20 12:01:25

Thank you as always Elegran I’ve been on GN several years and this is the first I ever I’ve used the add comment facility hmm smile

JackyB Mon 07-Sep-20 11:48:48

(Sorry about multiple posts)

If you click on the little arrow at the top of the thread on the mobile site, it says "Add Post". Where does it say "Add Comment"?

Either way, all those commends do the same thing!

JackyB Mon 07-Sep-20 11:45:26

BTW, on my phone, it DOES say "Reply".

JackyB Mon 07-Sep-20 11:41:56

But do be specific as to which post you are replying to. Quote it if necessary, or at least give the person's name who wrote it.

It says at the bottom of the page that if you write @name you will be replying to that person directly but that simply does not work. On GN the custom is to use asterisks to make the name appear in bold type.

Elegran Mon 07-Sep-20 11:18:06

If the comment you want to reply to is halfway down a long page of posts, then without a comment button in sight, you would have to scroll right up to the top to post anything at all. With the "comment" button at every post, you don't have to do that.

It only confuses for a short time - you do very quickly get used to having your reply appear at the end of the conversation, not beside the post that triggered your response - and, to be honest, it doesn't say "Reply", it says "Add comment".

Shrub Mon 07-Sep-20 09:22:28

I've often wondered why there is an 'Add Comment' after every post. As has been said you cannot have your comment directly inserted under individual posts. I'm sure it confuses a lot of new members and it adds to confusion in the progress of long threads sometimes.

Get rid of it HQ!

MaizieD Mon 07-Sep-20 08:25:49

A recent innovation is using the quote function. You can grab the remark you’d like to reply to and then add your comment underneath.

Not always useful if you're replying to a short comment in a long post. The 'quote' will reproduce the entire post, which is very tiresome as it doesn't make explicit which bit you're responding to. And, if people respond by 'quoting' your post with its embedded quote you can end up with massive quotes within quotes posts ?

I still prefer to copy and paste the relevant bit and italicise it (as above) Instructions for italicising and bolding are beneath the 'new message' box.
Tip. If you use those formatting symbols they only work if used immediately next to the word/s. No spaces. So, ^ italics ^ won't work.

NanaBabs1 Mon 07-Sep-20 08:17:51

...and now I’ve just answered my own question! Sorry folks. Pressing that took me straight to this box, though it didn’t while the message was half written. Well I know what I’m talking about!

NanaBabs1 Mon 07-Sep-20 08:15:11

Another interested lurker who occasionally wants to put her oar in here! Why is there an invitation to ‘Add comment’ along the bar from poster’s names? Is that not an invitation also? Gah! I thought I was fairly savvy...

Elegran Mon 07-Sep-20 08:11:52

You do get a notification when someone has sent you a private email. That notification contains a link to take you to your inbox, or you can see the inbox at any time by selecting the "Inbox" button at the top of each forum page.

Marydoll Mon 07-Sep-20 07:59:57

I seem to remember something like that, when I first joined years ago. Then again I could have imagined it. ?

There have been so many changes over the years.

Furret Mon 07-Sep-20 07:57:22

Notifications? News to me ?

ChrissyR Sun 06-Sep-20 14:32:10

Hi again everyone, I have another question. I was told that if I clicked on notifications, I would receive an email when someone posted in a particular thread. I’ve looked everywhere and can’t find it, I’m sure it’s staring me in the face. Grateful for any info confused

ChrissyR Sat 05-Sep-20 21:15:25

Thanks everyone, much appreciated ?