Gransnet forums

Site stuff

Do you know what?

(90 Posts)
phoenix Tue 22-Sep-20 23:04:48

I'm heartily sick of it all!

Certain posters who many members feel are not what they purport to be, and say so to GNHQ, yet get support from said GNHQ.

Curmudgeonly people who pick apart every post citing misandry where it doesn't exist, (oh and by the way, "misandry" is actually defined as hatred of men)

Getting emails from GNHQ that can't be replied to.

Actually, currently feeling rather "Colin Baker, News at Ten"

Google it if you don't remember it.

Blossoming Thu 24-Sep-20 23:49:46

MerylStreep

Blossoming
Style and culture. That'll be us. You've come to the right place ?

Excellent!

Nortsat Thu 24-Sep-20 15:00:44

Phoenix, I am sorry to hear that you were caught up in some unpleasantness yesterday.
I agree with you and think GNHQ do not covered themselves in glory, appearing to allow posters who have badly, to continue without apparent sanction.

Others, who then try to point this out, suffer sanction, undeservedly in my view.
It’s a complete pain in the neck and spoils GN for me.
I am careful where I post and I avoid certain posters’ threads.
I also know of some GNs who have given up ... which is really sad.

? Phoenix.

MerylStreep Thu 24-Sep-20 14:47:45

Blossoming
Style and culture. That'll be us. You've come to the right place ?

Blossoming Thu 24-Sep-20 14:40:07

Thanks ladies, I am starting to join in, but it takes time to get the style and culture on any new forum.

seacliff Thu 24-Sep-20 12:10:19

Hi Blossoming and welcome. I am not such a regular poster as some, but please start to join in. People take a while to get to know you, like anywhere, but they will. We have all been "new" at some point. .

Marydoll Thu 24-Sep-20 11:25:06

Blossom, we were all like that, didn't know anyone originally. How are people going to get to know you and you them if you don't post?

Blossoming Thu 24-Sep-20 11:11:31

I’m fairly new and mainly lurking, as I don’t really know anybody yet. I’m starting to recognise names though. I feel a bit uncomfortable at the idea of joining in threads where people obviously know each other well and are referring to previous threads that I haven’t seen. I think that’s true on any forum though.

Callistemon Thu 24-Sep-20 11:06:55

Sometimes it's very difficult to tell - some threads are started which are a cri de coeur, the story sounds so farfetched as to be unbelievable but I know from experience that some could be true.
It's when the story begins to unravel or posters who ask a pertinent question are verbally abused then it becomes clear that it's not genuine.

seacliff Thu 24-Sep-20 10:56:04

BlueBelle what gets my goat is posters that look for attention or make stuff up to get sympathy or shock We had a few a few months back that really emotionally upset people and it’s all very well saying ignore them but some very good people get sucked in to try to help

Agreed. I find it hard to just ignore, when you see so many well meaning kind people falling for the latest sob story and trying to help. You know from past experience that the poster is not genuine, and has history. They presumably get a kick out of this behaviour, and then of course if anyone says anything against them, they are perceived as being bullies. It's all a game to that type of sick poster.

Callistemon Thu 24-Sep-20 10:50:32

Furret
?

Furret Thu 24-Sep-20 10:46:30

Starblaze

I'm with the not engage club.

Say what you want to say, trust that others who are kind and open minded will hear you with the genuine desire to help you intended.

I've probably contributed to ruining threads just by determination to defend myself from people who want to tell me what I think/meant regardless of what I actually say.

I won't do that anymore.

People will like me or not

SEP

Someone else's problem

Trouble is in this particular instance should one choose to disengage, the poster in question might actually be encouraged by such a sensible suggestion, being under the mistaken belief that the little woman had been put in her place.

Marydoll Thu 24-Sep-20 10:26:02

I totally agree Callistemon.

Callistemon Thu 24-Sep-20 10:07:23

Presumably a non-partisan kind person, biba!

23-Sep-20 21:55:43
yes, 100%.

I doubt that anyone's opinion is objective, though, biba!

Starblaze Wed 23-Sep-20 22:40:59

I'm with the not engage club.

Say what you want to say, trust that others who are kind and open minded will hear you with the genuine desire to help you intended.

I've probably contributed to ruining threads just by determination to defend myself from people who want to tell me what I think/meant regardless of what I actually say.

I won't do that anymore.

People will like me or not

SEP

Someone else's problem

Lisagran Wed 23-Sep-20 22:27:23

I agree, BlueBelle

BlueBelle Wed 23-Sep-20 22:25:30

I don’t care when there’s spats about things that can cause spats politics, religion, royal family Brexit etc etc what gets my goat is posters that look for attention or make stuff up to get sympathy or shock We had a few a few months back that really emotionally upset people and it’s all very well saying ignore them but some very good people get sucked in to try to help They re the threads that get up my nose

biba70 Wed 23-Sep-20 21:55:43

yes, 100%.

Callistemon Wed 23-Sep-20 21:54:07

One very kind person has pm'ed me to explain the background to this- and I am very grateful

Presumably a non-partisan kind person, biba!

phoenix Wed 23-Sep-20 21:43:10

biba hopefully the very kind person who pm'd you gave accurate information, rather than just their take on it?a

SueDonim Wed 23-Sep-20 21:14:02

No problem, Spangler! Great minds and all that. grin

Gingster Wed 23-Sep-20 19:08:07

Hear hear Mellow yellow and Spangler. I seem to miss all the ‘controversial ‘messages. If someone is being nasty, why give them the satisfaction of replying. Just move on. It certainly wouldn’t worry me. Actors need an audience - dont give them one.

Spangler Wed 23-Sep-20 18:12:03

SueDonim Wed 23-Sep-20 14:45:26
FannyCornforth the Search function doesn’t work for me either. What you can do is go to Google, put in the term your searching for and also put Gransnet and you should get some results.
Sorry Sue, I missed your Google paragraph. But at least Fanny now has it in duplicate.

Spangler Wed 23-Sep-20 18:07:37

FannyCornforth

The search function doesn't work for me at all.
It always says 'no search results'

Try this tip. Let's say you wanted to see if there had been a thread about dish cloths. Type dish cloths followed by Gransnet into the Google box. Google has a very long memory.

Lexisgranny Wed 23-Sep-20 16:18:54

DiscoGran Quite by chance caught the end of The Archers omnibus on Sunday, seconds before the signature tune. The tune is the same, but the arrangement has changed. Not sure how long ago this happened........I didn’t like it!

Charleygirl5 Wed 23-Sep-20 16:18:31

If anybody wants a thread with no nastiness and gentle humour, look at the one started by Lara GNHQ about the bell ringing or otherwise to inform us we have a PM. It was only last week and it was a change from pink dresses.