Gransnet forums

Site stuff

(12 Posts)
Esspee Thu 15-Oct-20 11:00:34

I often think that it would be handy if we each had a little flag next to our names identifying our location. It would do away with confusion such as school holidays, Covid19 rules etc.

To give an example a recent OP when asking about a family party was deluged with comments about the rule of six. She was in Australia where that doesn’t apply.

What do the rest of you think?

B9exchange Thu 15-Oct-20 11:32:25

It's a good idea. Some people have to be really careful about not being identified, but a country flag would be unlikely to do any harm if it was optional. However I suspect it might take GN a long while to get round to it, even if there was a consensus. It would perhaps be something we could add as part of our usernames, eg Esspee (UK) if that is where you are? smile

MamaCaz Thu 15-Oct-20 12:22:07

I think it's a good idea too.

Other sites often allow for this via a person's profile.

It's up to individuals whether they actually give this or indeed any profile info at all. information, but if they do, their location is often shown below their name.

One of the sites that I use is a language forum, where the country (and sometimes the region) of a poster is displayed, and another is a uk gardening forum, where a poster's region is shown, assuming they gave that info.

On both of those forums, it is really useful info to know when giving or receiving advice, and I agree that there are often posts on Gransnet where it would be equally useful to know at a glance in which country or region the poster is living.

Lesley60 Thu 15-Oct-20 12:38:34

I think it’s a good idea but I would have to put two flags up as I’m Welsh ??????? But recently moved to England to be closer to my daughter and grandkids only just over the border Though ?

kittylester Thu 15-Oct-20 12:41:06

We used to have profiles!!!!

On the good morning thread people often say where they are ish!!

MellowYellow Thu 15-Oct-20 12:42:04

That's a great idea. As long as they include the Cornish flag. winkwink

Esspee Thu 15-Oct-20 13:41:58

Oh dear Mellow Yellow. I’m afraid I don’t know that flag.

Callistemon Thu 15-Oct-20 14:40:41

MellowYellow

That's a great idea. As long as they include the Cornish flag. winkwink

Our neighbours had a Cornish flag, MellowYellow - however, they are no more Cornish than me! Perhaps we're all Kernowyon at heart!

NatashaGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 15-Oct-20 16:50:16

Hi - thank you for the great suggestion. smile

It's nothing something we currently have plans to add to the site, but we will bear this in mind for the future. flowers

Callistemon Thu 15-Oct-20 17:44:04

St Piran's flag

MamaCaz Thu 15-Oct-20 18:06:07

NatashaGransnet

Hi - thank you for the great suggestion. smile

It's nothing something we currently have plans to add to the site, but we will bear this in mind for the future. flowers

The future begins here. Why put it of if it's such a great suggestion?

NanaandGrampy Thu 15-Oct-20 18:28:50

We used to have full profiles like Kitty said. Then the Daily Mail started trawling for quotes for the news of the day and it became obvious it was REALLY easy to identify people .

So most people did away with their profiles.