Gransnet forums

Site stuff

How to ignore the 'why not start a new thread instead' message.

(17 Posts)
biba70 Sun 01-Nov-20 14:15:28

Sometimes it makes sense to start a new thread, but sometimes, for the sake of continuity of a story line, it does not. Surely there must be away to ignore and post of the old thread? Please and thank you.

FannyCornforth Sun 01-Nov-20 14:25:27

You can post on the old thread, I'm pretty certain of that.
I think the 'new thread' line is just a suggestion.

Callistemon Sun 01-Nov-20 14:55:37

If you are lucky enough to find the old thread, it makes sense.
I find the Search facility on GN less than perfect.

FannyCornforth Sun 01-Nov-20 15:04:08

The search function doesn't work at all on my phone.
It does work on MN however, which is odd.

merlotgran Sun 01-Nov-20 15:14:29

If you are lucky enough to find the old thread you could always put a link to it on your new thread for continuity.

Lollin Sun 01-Nov-20 15:20:16

I guess doing a link to the old thread in your opening post would be helpful. That would enable people to quickly see what has been said previously and why it is good to refer back to or why you are linking it now. Confusion and frustration has arisen in the past when people start to read the whole chat ( or some do not read the whole chat) getting to the end and realising that it is a very old chat restarted by accident. Just a thought.

Lollin Sun 01-Nov-20 15:21:49

See I go on and on and in the meantime merlotgran gets straight to the point grin

biba70 Sun 01-Nov-20 15:22:46

in this case, it would make sense to continue with the old thread- there must be a way of doing that without linking to it.

aggie Sun 01-Nov-20 15:33:00

Unless the old thread is full up ?

Spangler Sun 01-Nov-20 15:39:40

Callistemon

If you are lucky enough to find the old thread, it makes sense.
I find the Search facility on GN less than perfect.

Go to Google, type in that which you seek, follow it by the word: Gransnet and it will, as if by magic, appear.

Callistemon Sun 01-Nov-20 16:05:09

I think I've tried that, Spangler and usually get a message saying "Back to forums".
Just tried again and yes, it worked!
It's temperamental.

Putting a link on might be the best idea, biba, especially if the old thread was a long one.

Charleygirl5 Sun 01-Nov-20 16:41:39

Callistemon there is a minor problem there for those of us who are not tech savvy. I can barely switch my computer on.

petra Sun 01-Nov-20 16:50:50

Charleygirl
In your search bar, that's the bar right at the top of your screeen.
Type Gransnet. Then do a plus sign. Then put in what your searching for on GN. Then press go.
You put the + in to filter out everything else. That works with whatever your searching for.

kircubbin2000 Sun 01-Nov-20 17:34:02

Once the post has moved from active I can never see it again.

biba70 Sun 01-Nov-20 17:38:55

No problem in finding the post, I put the key word in the search box and it came up immediately. But I wanted to add to it- without having to put the context again.

petra Sun 01-Nov-20 17:45:41

Kircubbin
If a thread has gone off active and you've read it, look in your history.

Callistemon Sun 01-Nov-20 17:48:54

Thanks petra, I can find things but didn't know about the filter.