Gransnet forums

Site stuff

Annoying adverts

(21 Posts)

GNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

Callistemon Sat 05-Jun-21 09:51:00

Even though I have tried to install an adblocker, annoying adverts still come up on the Gransnet site, now one from Microsoft.

Now that Gransnet have added one of their own advertisements at the top of the page, this has pushed other ads down so that they completely cover the comments box, hence I can't see what I am typing.

I'm on the desktop site as I dislike the mobile site btw.
Can anyone help please?

Manhattan Sat 05-Jun-21 10:10:54

Which adblocker are you using?

AdblockPlus is very good and shows me it is blocking three ads on the GN Homepage. If you have this or something similar make sure you have got the settings for "Block ads on this website" www.gransnet.com switched on.

annodomini Sat 05-Jun-21 11:17:00

I've been using Adbllock+ for ages and I don't get advertisements on Gransnet at all. Some newspaper sites ask me to remove my block on their material and sometimes I comply simply be asking Adblock to exempt the current pages.

Callistemon Sat 05-Jun-21 14:05:40

Thanks, Manhattan and annodomini*

I used Adblock but not the Plus version and perhaps didn't do it correctly either..

I will try that. I'm always a bit fearful of downloading anything since I got a virus on my PC last year.
The ads are appearing on a tablet .

It's very odd, they've never covered the message box before.

Manhattan Sat 05-Jun-21 14:33:20

One of the issues is when developers set or alter page layouts and don't check to see how the page renders across all platforms from the smallest smart phone to the largest screen. It can cause ugly overlapping content on smaller screens.

Another reason could be that the end user has used a key combination to make the content appear larger on the screen whch has reduced the effective width of the screen. That can also alter how content appears.

Think of a screen as a piece of graph paper so many squares wide and deep - that's the screen resolution. Each piece of content has a place on the graph paper. If you make the screen bigger or smaller, content can either disppear altogether or pieces compete for space on the page. There's a lot of complex processing goes on behind the simplest of screen actions to make content render as pleasingly as possible across all screen sizes but things do go wrong!

The main thing is to block ads you don't want to see. Curiously, Adblock Plus predates Adblock. ADP started life as an extension on Firefox before being made available to other browsers. Adblock was an extension for Chrome. Both now work across all platforms and have comparable features.

Callistemon Sat 05-Jun-21 14:55:36

One of the issues is when developers set or alter page layouts and don't check to see how the page renders across all platforms from the smallest smart phone to the largest screen. It can cause ugly overlapping content on smaller screens.

I think that Gransnet has altered the layout and positioned their own large advert above the changing one on the top of the webpage. It's one inviting me to sign up for Gransnet Daily.

For some reason, although I've downloaded Adblock+, shut down and opened up again, the adverts are still appearing.
Obviously I've failed to do something.

Try again.

cornishpatsy Sat 05-Jun-21 15:53:21

I have the same problem, never had a problem with ads before, the Microsoft one seems to get past my adblocker.

Callistemon Sat 05-Jun-21 15:56:19

After several attempts with Adblock, Adblock + to no avail, I have downloaded Adblock Ultimate and it seems to be successful so ?

Thanks for the help
smile

Callistemon Sat 05-Jun-21 16:01:20

Noooo, they're back but at least not over the message box now!!

Amberone Sat 05-Jun-21 16:01:44

Given that this is a free site that relies on advertising to exist I'm surprised they don't ask you to remove your Adblocker while on the site, like another free site I use!

Callistemon Sat 05-Jun-21 16:11:15

Perhaps my problem is that GNHQ can over-ride it, Amberone!

Actually, the adverts never bothered me at all until GNHQ put their own at the top of the page which pushes the others down and covers this box.
It has only just happened and it's very annoying not been able to see what I type.

Manhattan Sat 05-Jun-21 17:55:42

No, GN cannot overide how you configure your own device but you may have to block specific elements and not just the main URL (address) for GN.

Click on the screen icon for ABP (say) which is a red warning sign - and you should see Block Element - Block specific elements on this website. Click that. Do you see a red overlay as you hover around the screen? Click on anything that you don't want to see and it should be blocked.

Callistemon Sat 05-Jun-21 19:31:08

I just logged in again and ? it seems to have worked!!

Thank you

AnnieGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 08-Jun-21 16:31:51

Hello everyone - we're sorry some ads are annoying you. We'll look into this now, but if anyone can post a screenshot of an ad that's obscuring the site, that would be really helpful. Thank you.

Callistemon Tue 08-Jun-21 17:44:38

It's very odd, AnnieGransnet, sometimes there, sometimes not.

I thought I'd fixed it by blocking Google ads but it was back again today.
Your ad for subscribing to the GN newsletter at the top of the page seems to have pushed other adverts down, obscuring the message box.

However it's not there on this thread!

mokryna Tue 08-Jun-21 21:54:09

This one for example.

mokryna Tue 08-Jun-21 21:55:35

Or this one

mokryna Tue 08-Jun-21 21:58:56

I am finding them very annoying both those at the top and the still or flashing ones on the side.

BlueBelle Tue 08-Jun-21 22:22:27

I just make my screen (reading part) a bit bigger then you don’t see any adverts at all (mobile that is)

Callistemon Tue 08-Jun-21 22:52:29

mokryna

This one for example.

Yes, like that, mokryna

Thanks.
I must learn how to take a screen shot.

I had learned to block out the ones at the side and top visually, even though they were still there, until the GN one appeared and the two top ones blocked the message box.

It didn't do it this time, it's spasmodic.

I don't like the mobile site at all, Bluebelle

Soniagransnet (GNHQ) Wed 09-Jun-21 09:06:30

Hi - just dropping in to say thanks for the screenshots - we'll take a look into those.

Please let us know if this is still an issue, and if so, can you let us know the version of device you are using and we'll see if we can help? flowers