Gransnet forums

Site stuff

Is Gransnet unsafe? - please help.

(23 Posts)

GNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

Chestnut Sun 20-Jun-21 11:53:18

Gransnet please help! For the last couple of days I've been getting this message on a ribbon at the top of the page. It comes from my security software McAfee.
We tested this page and blocked content that comes from potentially dangerous or suspicious sites. Allow this content only if you're sure it comes from safe sites.
So has Gransnet allowed something unsafe?
Is anyone else getting a warning?

NotTooOld Sun 20-Jun-21 12:06:05

I'm getting it, too, but not only on Gransnet.

grandtanteJE65 Sun 20-Jun-21 12:09:31

I haven't had any security alerts, but then I don't use McAfee.

Usually if they crop up, I run my antivirus program to be on the safe side.

If you want to read Gransnet, I suggest you just unblock the site and run your antivirus software after you log out.

cornishpatsy Sun 20-Jun-21 13:05:22

Your security software probably picked up on an ad from a dodgy site and blocked it, which shows it is working.

Chestnut Sun 20-Jun-21 13:06:57

I can read Gransnet website okay including the forums, but the ribbon warning appears every time. It gives the option to view the blocked content but obviously I'm not going to view anything which may be unsafe!

BlueBelle Sun 20-Jun-21 14:29:46

No ribbon on my iPad but then I think Apple don’t let stuff through ?

MawBe Sun 20-Jun-21 14:32:59

I blame Brexit

Blossoming Sun 20-Jun-21 14:34:17

It’s probably a link that doesn’t have an up to date security certificate, it’s more common than you might think. I just don’t click on ads. It doesn’t mean Gransnet itself is unsafe

Luckygirl Sun 20-Jun-21 14:34:41

I cannot read Gransnet on my phone - I just get something to do with Apache Tomcat - whatever that is. I therefore do not even try opening it on the phone as it looks so dodgy.

Blossoming Sun 20-Jun-21 14:34:58

MawBe

I blame Brexit

I blame Donald Trump.

GrandmaKT Sun 20-Jun-21 14:36:11

Yes, I'm getting it too! It just shows that McAfee is working, just don't click on the 'View all blocked content' message and all will be fine. You can still read all the forums etc.

Elegran Sun 20-Jun-21 14:46:38

What if you did click on the "View all blocked content" button, thinking that they meant "Click to view Gransnet"?

MawBe Sun 20-Jun-21 14:52:52

Blossoming

MawBe

I blame Brexit

I blame Donald Trump.

Or Putin?

Alegrias1 Sun 20-Jun-21 14:55:17

MawBe

Blossoming

MawBe

I blame Brexit

I blame Donald Trump.

Or Putin?

John Bercow. Definitely John Bercow.

BlueBelle Sun 20-Jun-21 14:58:19

Blame Johnson he’s to blame for most things

M0nica Sun 20-Jun-21 15:00:19

No, blame Matt Hancock, he is the latest scapegoat.

Chestnut Sun 20-Jun-21 15:03:56

Elegran

What if you did click on the "View all blocked content" button, thinking that they meant "Click to view Gransnet"?

I'm not sure what will happen but it might not be good! Presumably they have blocked it for a reason. I have no idea what 'it' is and the warning isn't really very helpful.

Amberone Sun 20-Jun-21 15:22:41

I was getting that too for a while on GN - I just elected to show all content eventually. MacAfee hasn't found any problems since in the routine scans.

MaizieD Sun 20-Jun-21 15:31:55

Elegran

You just get the ads that have been blocked. I don't think the ads will pose any danger unless you click on them. It's nothing at all to do with Gnet being dangerous or suspicious.

McAfee's only just started dong this for me on this site in the past day or two but it's popped up on other sites. If it's blocking those banner ads at the top of the page I'm pretty grateful because I don't like adverts...

Chestnut Sun 20-Jun-21 15:41:00

It looks as though the danger is connected to advertisements. I just found this on McAfee website:
"I strongly advise against enabling the display of blocked content. Especially on a media website, what is being blocked is most likely to be malvertising - poisoned third-party advertising. This is often accomplished by the use of hidden iframes that redirect your browser to hijacked webpages, and those are what WebAdvisor detects and blocks.
As for preventing that information box from being displayed, I don't think that's possible. We've looked into this before and the reasoning seems to be that the display is necessary because of the potential severity of the underlying risk. And the reason why you have the option of allowing what's been blocked is that sometimes WebAdvisor continues to block content even after whatever was dangerous has been removed."

AnnieGransnet (GNHQ) Sat 26-Jun-21 15:27:26

Hello Chestnut - this looks like a warning from McAfee. Gransnet is safe, please don't worry, but security software will sometimes give an alert if a site carries ads. If you clear the cookies on your browser, this should stop it from happening.

greenlady102 Sat 26-Jun-21 15:28:11

MawBe

Blossoming

MawBe

I blame Brexit

I blame Donald Trump.

Or Putin?

nah is those covid microchips

Chestnut Sat 26-Jun-21 17:38:27

Thank you, Annie. The message did disappear after a couple of days, but was annoying as there was no way to get rid of it other than accept the so called dangerous content!