Gransnet forums

Site stuff

Posting on threads to put them down

(111 Posts)
Beswitched Fri 18-Mar-22 08:00:26

Time and time again I see posters coming onto a perfectly clearly titled thread to sourly comment that they have no interest in the subject, or can't understand why anyone would start a thread on the topic, or to rudely tell the OP they need to get a life if this is all they're interested in.

Why do posters do this? It's so bad mannered and unpleasant. Would they walk up to a bunch of people idly chatting at a party and tell them their conversation is boring, and they obviously have nothing else going on in their lives and can they not find something more interesting to chat about?

Do they not see that it is equally rude and odd to voluntarily join in a conversation online for the sole purpose of announcing they've no interest in the matter under discussion.

I do call people out on it at the time, but it's very strange behaviour.

Beswitched Sat 19-Mar-22 08:57:02

I know what you mean. The problem is that the person subject to an unprovoked attack might also be going through a bad time. Fair enough, some people do come back and apologise. We're all human and can snap.
But some, even when called on it, just stay silent or try to defend their rudeness, or continue in that vein on other threads. They are the ones who lack awareness I think.

hollysteers Fri 18-Mar-22 22:41:33

We luxuriate in our anonymity on Gransnet and this leads to outbursts we may not have the courage to say to someone face to face. I can think of a couple of gransnetters who I know will irritate me, particularly the Miss Perfect types or the know all.
People have bad days, big troubles and see an opening to vent.
Unresolved pent up frustrations can befall the hapless commentator on a subject which triggers them.

Chewbacca Fri 18-Mar-22 22:37:51

We can sympathise on different levels, one concern does not preclude another

Not on GN apparently. It's impossible to care for more than one issue at any one time and, if you state that you do care about something, you'll get demands to prove it i.e. how many refugees are you housing, which supermarket are you boycotting etc? Competitive empathy.

Lucca Fri 18-Mar-22 22:29:07

Nannagarra

I keenly followed Lucca’s lasagne thread and have made the recipe she recommended many times. It is now requested and never fails. Thank you.
???

??

nanna8 Fri 18-Mar-22 22:08:46

I missed that lasagna thread, I must try and find it. I often make moussaka and eat lasagna but haven’t tried any variations. That is why I love gransnet - it is my go to for finding books and all sorts of weird and wonderful things.

sodapop Fri 18-Mar-22 21:33:53

I posted exactly that elsewhere Beswitched just because someone had concerns about fuel prices affecting home care it didn't mean they cared less about the people of Ukraine.
We can sympathise on different levels, one concern does not preclude another

Nannagarra Fri 18-Mar-22 21:23:12

I keenly followed Lucca’s lasagne thread and have made the recipe she recommended many times. It is now requested and never fails. Thank you.
???

Beswitched Fri 18-Mar-22 19:46:09

It's a lack of imagination really. Because someone is posting about their neighbour's loud children or someone's annoying dog, or the poor service in their local café they obviously haven't any real 'problems' or 'dilemmas' and are leading an easy life.
Whereas anyone with any genuine empathy will realise they haven't a clue what's going on in anyone's life, and just because someone is posting about something every day and trivial doesn't mean they also have lots of heartache going on.

Dickens Fri 18-Mar-22 17:28:02

Doodledog

FannyCornforth

Grannynannywanny

Completely agree with all you’ve said Beswitched. No idea why anyone takes the time to read a thread then take the time to post on it specifically to say they’re not interested.

I think that this tends to happen when threads are mentioned in the GN email newsletter thingy.
Threads always go a bit peculiar.
I think that some people think that they are duty bound to comment; regardless of whether or not they have anything of interest to add.

It's a bit like this Amazon reviews that say something like 'I bought this for my wife, but her birthday's not till Tuesday so she hasn't opened it yet.' Not remotely helpful, but the poster must feel they've joined in grin.

As for 'first world problems', we live in a first world country (at least for now), so what other sort of problems do people think we are going to have? By definition we all have access to the Internet, so are not the most deprived people in the UK, either.

Also, 'get a life' is the most meaningless phrase I can think of. What does it mean?

Also, 'get a life' is the most meaningless phrase I can think of. What does it mean?

I have to admit that one riles me more just about more than any other. And, as you say - what does it even mean?

I've been told on FB to 'get a life' over posts on just about every subject, at least by one person... who's often also made derogatory comments to others like "are you for real"?

The literal assumption behind the phrase is of course that you don't actually "get out much" or lead any kind of meaningful life. Which of course is absolutely silly because the person saying it has no idea who he / she is talking to or what kind of life they might be leading.

So what it really means is, 'I-don't-agree-with-you-so-I'm-going-to-insult-you'.

It's a phrase used as a put-down by those who lack critical-thinking skills and can't form an opposing argument. I hardly ever respond - it's pointless. Although I did once, and asked, "what kind of life do you suggest I might lead other than the one you don't know I'm leading?" And just got a torrent of personal insults. This individual looked at my FB profile page and used a photo' of me in a baggy jumper to ask "what I was hiding". That's the mentality behind those who say that.

In essence, they're just nasty people who get angry with those who don't share their POV and don't have the ability to debate.

So that's why I never bother to respond to them anymore.

But it's never happened on GN. I think we're generally far more civilised on here.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Fri 18-Mar-22 16:35:13

I believe they're called 'trolls' who are cowardly enough to hide behind their anonymity as they would quickly get a bad reputation and lose all their friends if they behaved like this in real life, wouldn't they? Thankfully they're a minority.

Serendipity22 Fri 18-Mar-22 16:27:15

Its hard to interpret words typed on a screen to how its actually been said.

Many times i have read a text and thought if i didn't know how the sender would say this, it could be totally misconstrued.

A 'x' can defuse what would otherwise be read as an angry text....

smile

volver Fri 18-Mar-22 16:07:37

Anybody watching First Dates last night?

The young lad who had never heard of pork and asked if it was the same as chicken... shock

Lucca Fri 18-Mar-22 15:47:56

??‍♀️
www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/fastlasagnewithporka_83462

Cherrytree59 Fri 18-Mar-22 15:11:14

Well to be really controversial,
I use Turkey mince and ....
on the the advice of St Mary's Berry I add red currant jelly to the sauce.
so there! ?

Beswitched Fri 18-Mar-22 14:16:44

I think Delia recommends using a mix of beef and pork as well.

maddyone Fri 18-Mar-22 14:14:20

Lucca I didn’t see your thread so obviously I didn’t comment on it, but anything to do with Mary Berry gets my vote. I use several of her recipes.

Witzend Fri 18-Mar-22 13:28:13

I’ve known an Italian make bolognaise sauce with pork mince as well as beef - and pork sausage meat is basically ground up/minced pork, isn’t it? (I’m talking best quality sausages here.).

So I don’t see why anyone should throw a fit at the idea of putting it in a meat sauce for lasagne.

Elegran Fri 18-Mar-22 13:23:40

GillT57 Sometimes you read replies on the trivial threads which must surely be piss-takes. There was one that had a series of harmless ramblings on how often people changed the sheets. Lots on the lines "I change mine once a week. I love clean sheets" or "I only change them once a fortnight now that there is just me". Then suddenly someone appeared who loved clean sheets so much that she changed them daily. Really??

Lucca Fri 18-Mar-22 13:21:29

FannyCornforth

Re the lasagne.
The recipe included pork.
It was very controversial.

The thread peaked with one charmer (I can still remember their username!) coming on to say;

‘I’m glad that I’m not coming to your house.
I hate lasagne’
smile

It was a Mary Berry recipe…hardly controversial ! It was my thread.

ElaineI Fri 18-Mar-22 13:17:42

I agree with your post Beswitched. I don't mind people disagreeing with me but some posters are rude and insulting about things which is akin to bullying. There is no need to be like that. Just say you disagree and record your opinion. There is no need to put anyone down. The effects of that can be devastating to someone who might be feeling low.

Lucca Fri 18-Mar-22 13:17:27

Hilarious all thinking they were so superior and then along came one poster to defend me who is quite clearly an expert cook ??

Lucca Fri 18-Mar-22 13:16:06

JaneJudge

can anyone remember the lasagne thread?grin

people just came on the thread to be spiteful about lasagne

That was my thread !!

Blossoming Fri 18-Mar-22 13:13:45

I suspect my iPad is dyslexic Keeper1

GillT57 Fri 18-Mar-22 13:13:38

Interesting thread. We are, of course, all entitled to our opinion, but I think we have a responsibility with that opinion to make sure we are not perpetuating untruths. I don't read some threads because I have nothing of relevance to add, but I wouldn't dream of popping my head in and telling people that their worries about, say, darning a sock, are of no relevance in this world with the Ukraine crisis. However, some people have had a rude awakening when they have come on GN expecting support and advice and have received a few bits of realism/criticism, you want advice, you'll get it! I have a guilt liking for the trivial threads, and I am just about to pop over to JJ's thread about the large country pile....

Keeper1 Fri 18-Mar-22 13:10:04

It’s nice to know there are a lot of down to Earth Gransnetters who just want to have a chat. There does seem to be quite a bit of sneering on some threads and it is off putting, also the grammar police and spelling police. I cannot always be held responsible for what my iPad decides to do.