Gransnet forums

Site stuff

Quoting other posters

(13 Posts)
Beswitched Sat 19-Mar-22 18:09:18

Sometimes when I try to quote another poster it seems to be not enabled. Is this something another poster can decide to do., or simply a glitch?

Shinamae Sat 19-Mar-22 18:19:04

I have never had any problem quoting another poster

Beswitched Sat 19-Mar-22 18:37:00

It's happened to me several times. Maybe it's something to do with my settings?

Oldnproud Sat 19-Mar-22 18:42:01

I've had the same thing as Beswitched occasionally.

On a similar theme, what is the 'Add comment' button for? Nothing ever seems to happen if I click on it.

Baggs Sat 19-Mar-22 18:43:31

On a laptop the "Add Comment" button takes you down to a message box to begin your post.

Doodledog Sat 19-Mar-22 18:43:39

It happens to me a lot, but I think it's only on my phone.

Oldnproud Sat 19-Mar-22 18:47:29

Ignore my comment about the 'Add comment' button. I've just realized that it brings up the box in which to type a comment. Hmm, that saves all of a second! It would be a lot more helpful if it also referenced the post that you wanted to comment on.

Oldnproud Sat 19-Mar-22 18:48:12

Sorry Baggs - I am a slow typer so you beat me to it.

Beswitched Sat 19-Mar-22 18:50:17

Maybe it's because I'm on my phone Doodledog. Thanks for that. Will check it out.

Blossoming Sat 19-Mar-22 19:20:12

Not noticed it on my iPad.

Mollygo Sat 19-Mar-22 20:05:00

If it doesn’t work on my iPhone, I press and hold down on the first or last word of what I want to quote and drag downwards/upwards to select the text I want. A pop-up menu offers me the chance to copy the selected text and then I paste it into the reply box.
Doing this also allows insertion or deletion of text from the original post.

Shinamae Sat 19-Mar-22 20:11:46

I’m on iPad

Beswitched Sat 19-Mar-22 20:14:26

Mollygo

If it doesn’t work on my iPhone, I press and hold down on the first or last word of what I want to quote and drag downwards/upwards to select the text I want. A pop-up menu offers me the chance to copy the selected text and then I paste it into the reply box.
Doing this also allows insertion or deletion of text from the original post.

Thanks. I'll try that next time smile