Gransnet forums

Site stuff

Posting pictures of children on this site.

(151 Posts)
Marydoll Tue 03-May-22 13:05:17

I have been prompted to post this, after having some concerns I have had over the last few days about pictures of grandchildren on several threads on this forum.

The internet safety advice from the authorities is not to post pictures of children on public forums, even more so. if they are wearing school uniforms. This makes them easily identifiable to paedophiles. We could only have back or side views of pupils on our school website, with no names included. That advice came from the LA.
I was responsible for internet safety in my school and involved in LA initiatives. Some of the scenarios, we were told about at Police Scotland training programmes, would horrify you.

This is one of the first things we alerted parents to, when I delivered internet safety advice to parents in my school.
It was also continuously reinforced to our pupils, not to post their pictures and even more so, their real names.
Photos on forums, like GN can be easily manipulated.
I am always uneasy when posters on here do it.
I have done it once, when it was a wedding photo, no names and even more importantly, with the permission of the parents.
I would hope, that no poster would post a picture of their grandchild, without the parents' permission.

I can't believe how naive some posters are.
In saying that, it is a sad reflection of our time, when we cannot share the joy of having grandchildren. sad

kircubbin2000 Tue 17-May-22 11:56:10

Some people have no sense. I have a friend who regularly posts pics of both grandkids saying they are autistic and describing the trouble they have at school. She makes no attempt to hide the uniform or the references to their dads job which readily identifies the family, even down to their address!

Callistemon21 Tue 17-May-22 11:01:02

And CCTV!

Callistemon21 Tue 17-May-22 11:00:50

Where I live children (teens) go into the gaps between the houses to meet their friends, smoke, drink coke etc. There are notices stating that cctv is in operation and Im sure the children can see them. Some keep their hoodies up

This neighbourhood is intriguing me!

You have a drive with gates (sounds posh) yet gaps between houses like alley ways where teenagers loiter for nefarious reasons

I'm trying to picture it but failing.

FannyCornforth Tue 17-May-22 05:58:28

You have an awful lot of problems with your neighbours don’t you biglouis

By the way, I’ve never met anyone who had an issue with ‘their daughters interacting with boys unchaperoned’

biglouis Mon 16-May-22 23:35:27

Where I live children (teens) go into the gaps between the houses to meet their friends, smoke, drink coke etc. There are notices stating that cctv is in operation and Im sure the children can see them. Some keep their hoodies up.

Its a diverse area and some parents would definitely not want their daughters interacting unchaperoned with boys. However its not my responsibility to police their behaviour and they are doing no harm.

They do sometimes leave a mess (which my gardener cleans up) but my whingy neighbour asked me if I had cctv pictures of children who walked past. She wanted to send them to the school to complain.

I refused.

The cctv only retains pictures for 30 days and then autodeletes them unless specifically told to store them in the cloud. There is no proof that just because a child has walked past my cameras that same child has dropped litter in my NDNs garden.

I dont want angry parents accusing me of keeping and distributing pictures of their teen children, even though the children are trespassing.

JenniferEccles Sun 15-May-22 09:57:40

I am going back a few years now but I remember someone relaying a story on here complaining bitterly about their grandchild’s teacher’s behaviour involving a particular incident with one piece of the child’s work.
This account was accompanied by a family photo showing the child involved.
Some posters made the very valid point that, as well as the child, the teacher could be identified by the details included in the post.

Harris27 Wed 04-May-22 18:27:05

Yes this is true. I work with children and have grandchildren I wouldn’t dream of doing any pictures no matter how proud I was of them. We have strict guidelines on this subject.

Marydoll Wed 04-May-22 18:18:06

Polly73

GrannyGravy13

The Glasgow Grannies posted a picture of them at their meet up a few weeks ago.

So they did

They did indeed and everyone in the photo gave their permission for it to be posted. Some were also happy to be named. The person, who took the photo, did not wish to be in it. All very democratic. ?

Libman Wed 04-May-22 18:17:41

Has anyone ever seen the reality programme The Circle? Contestants all live in the same block of flats but never meet. All interactions are via social media with the aim of becoming the most popular person and winning a large amount of cash. To do this they have to make ‘friends and allies’ The point is that some use their own personal details whilst others pretend to be someone else: opposite sex, older, younger etc etc. It’s called catfishing. I think it’s a very sad programme where you gain someone’s trust by possibly lying to them. Anyway the point of this tale is to say who knows if they are being catfished on here when they exchange details. Am I a man, a teenager, a decent person or a sociopath? ?

Wheniwasyourage Wed 04-May-22 18:08:12

No, he would just have posted a picture of the tractor, wouldn't he?

Polly73 Wed 04-May-22 18:02:55

Daddima

Fennel

Does anyone remember the thread, years ago, where Grans posted photos of themselves? I loved that thread.
My husband posted my picture, driving a tractor, as perhaps luckily for me I don't know how to post photos.

Fennel, is your husband Neil Parish? ?

grin

Daddima Wed 04-May-22 17:58:54

Fennel

Does anyone remember the thread, years ago, where Grans posted photos of themselves? I loved that thread.
My husband posted my picture, driving a tractor, as perhaps luckily for me I don't know how to post photos.

Fennel, is your husband Neil Parish? ?

Polly73 Wed 04-May-22 17:27:16

GrannyGravy13

So they did

Callistemon21 Wed 04-May-22 17:26:27

MerylStreep

Fennel
I remember those. There were some of meet ups.
I don’t know why but the only one that sticks in my mind was
Kittyliecester. I can still see the picture in my minds eye.

I can still see a couple of Gransnetters in my mind's eye; I know one has died and so have a picture of her when I think of her sometimes.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 04-May-22 17:05:12

MerylStreep Wed 04-May-22 16:50:42

Fennel
I remember those. There were some of meet ups.
I don’t know why but the only one that sticks in my mind was
Kittyliecester. I can still see the picture in my minds eye.

Fennel Wed 04-May-22 16:42:24

Vintagejazz Wed 04-May-22 11:50:05

I am always surprised at the amount of identifying information people give out on Gransnet. I did it myself by accident a few weeks ago. But some posters state where they live, what they do for a living, post photos of their houses etc It can't be too hard for someone who knows them to put 2 and 2 together.

There's a running joke on mumsnet about posters referring to their husband's 'hobby' instead of saying exactly what it is. But I think that makes sense. If you say on one post that you live in Leamington Spa, in another post that you have 5 year old twins, in another post that you work part time in a school and in another that your husband acts with the local am dram group that adds up to quite a lot of information. Staying vague about some things makes sense.

Marydoll Wed 04-May-22 08:58:08

Not at all, Josieanne, I enjoy reading threads, which meander! It makes them more interesting and enjoyable.

Joseanne Wed 04-May-22 08:51:27

My mind is awash with ideas!!!
Must go and teach a class of 10 year olds now. Certainly NO photos.
They could probably offer a few tips on tech stuff!
Sorry to derail thread a bit.

Marydoll Wed 04-May-22 08:44:21

Of course, also if someone outs you, as has happened in the past. Some posters have a recognisable posting style. I know I would be instantly recognisable! ?

IP address I think, but there are always ways around it (as some have previously done) if you are tech savvy enough. wink.
I just couldn't be bothered!

Are you thinking of having an alter ego, Josieanne? wink

Joseanne Wed 04-May-22 08:38:45

So one more question.
If they read you in the past on pms as nice sweet Jill who has now turned into stroppy bolshy Jacky say, do they link the two?
What I mean is, do they go by user name or email address?

Riverwalk Wed 04-May-22 08:25:09

Of course HQ can read PMs, whether they would have the time or inclination to do so is another matter.

Joseanne Wed 04-May-22 08:21:20

grin

Marydoll Wed 04-May-22 08:19:06

Joseanne, giving your email address to strangers? Are you sure I am, who I say I am? ??