Gransnet forums

Site stuff

? Disappearing Sub-Forums Alert! ?

(39 Posts)

GNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

FannyCornforth Thu 18-Aug-22 08:20:46

Hello!

Apologies, there’s already a thread about this; but I thought that it was worthy of fuss kicked up.

The more beady eyed among us have noticed that the ‘Benefits’ sub forum has gone; ditto the ‘Other Subjects’ one!

The ‘Benefits’ one was lobbied for by posters, and has only been going for about a year!

Apparently, the benefits threads are now under the ‘Money, Legal’ etc one.

There might be others missing, I don’t know.

What’s that all about then?
Odd, isn’t it?

FannyCornforth Sat 20-Aug-22 14:36:06

Here it is again, hope it works
www.gransnet.com/forums/site_stuff/1314495--Reinstate-the-Benefits-Forum-Please-Sign

DaisyAnne Sat 20-Aug-22 14:21:54

LilyGransnet

Hi all,

Sorry for the confusion here.

Pensions and benefits had very little engagement, so we combined it with legal and money (which is far more active).

We have moved the threads from pensions and benefits into legal and money and we will be renaming it 'legal, pensions and money' very soon.

Doing this has lots of benefits, including searchable results in google - so it's better for user experience.

Your reasons do not make sense to me. If you do not mention "Benefits" in the title, people will not know to look there.

Many general areas have already had a lot of effort put in. The very helpful GNetters who did this may as well not have bothered.

If they are not part of this conversation, it's unlikely to occur to those looking that "benefits" come under "Legal, pensions and money" (which title would make me think of investments, not benefits).

I understand you want "engagement". However, every GN member who needs help or support, particularly now, is just as important as those with money to splash around, aren't they?

silverlining48 Sat 20-Aug-22 09:43:53

Petition won’t open so can’t sign Fanny.

silverlining48 Sat 20-Aug-22 09:42:11

Benefits shoukd be a separate thread, there are many which are hardly used and this is more relevant than many which remain.
Woukd also ask why some posts do not even appear on the Active list (specifically that which is about hip/ knee replacements) which is on its second 1000 run. If posts don’t appear then there will be people who miss out on what has been a very helpful and supportive thread.

ixion Sat 20-Aug-22 09:40:54

Please, HQ, take a long look at your demographics here on GN.
And then, look at headlines everywhere talking about Austerity, rising fuel bills, rising food bills and how so many will find it well nigh impossible to make ends meet this winter.

Benefits are playing a vital part in people's lives currently.

It is essential that this site offers help and advice, even more so latterly.

People in need have to be able to find this help and advice immediately - just look in the forums under B for Benefits snd Advice.

I have signed your petition FC

FarNorth Sat 20-Aug-22 09:36:45

And now there is no mention of Benefits at all.

NotSpaghetti Sat 20-Aug-22 08:46:05

I don't think the GNHQ reason makes sense given that there are loads of little used threads.

It was a direct and obvious title too. Everyone knew what it was about. I think it should come back.

FannyCornforth Sat 20-Aug-22 08:12:03

I have started a petition thread
www.gransnet.com/forums/site_stuff/1314495--Reinstate-the-Benefits-Forum-Please-Sign

FannyCornforth Sat 20-Aug-22 07:46:00

Exactly Jacky
None of this makes any sense whatsoever!

JackyB Sat 20-Aug-22 07:30:00

There are oodles of forums (Grandad’s Shed, Webchats, Classics (!) - loads more) that haven’t been posted on for months if not years.

So true. What doesn't need to be changed is often fiddled about with, whilst serious requests for sensible improvements are ignored.

FannyCornforth Sat 20-Aug-22 02:01:41

LilyGN I’m sorry, but like FarNorth I find the ‘lack of posts’ explanation rather difficult to swallow.

There are oodles of forums (Grandad’s Shed, Webchats, Classics (!) - loads more) that haven’t been posted on for months if not years.

I looked at ‘Gransnet Local’ and that seems to be totally defunct.

I’d find it easier to believe that it was deleted by an IT based accident.

FarNorth Fri 19-Aug-22 23:58:36

If you are looking for specific advice and information , to have it all under the ‘Benefits’ heading is most useful (especially if people include the topic eg Carers Allowance in the title).
I remember that one specific poster was extremely knowledgeable about the Benefit System, and she started a very informed and informative thread.

FarNorth Fri 19-Aug-22 23:55:44

MissA's Diary of a Benefit Claimant closed recently on 1000 posts.

That's a lot of engagement on one thread. Does that not count because it's not several threads?

You had no record of anything being changed and now you tell us it's a good idea?

The name had already been changed to Legal Pensions and Money - no mention of Benefits at all .
How is that helpful?

If there is not a great number of Benefits and Pensions threads, it's all the more important that they are easy to find instead of being swamped by other Legal and Money threads.

People liked it the way we asked for it - a separate board that can be easily found for info on Benefits and Pensions.

Please restore the Benefits and Pensions board which we asked for, and we want.

StarDreamer Fri 19-Aug-22 23:32:41

Even if it were only very little used, it may have been very important to those people who came in anxiety to Gransnet to try to find advice about Benefits.

ixion Fri 19-Aug-22 20:22:16

IIRC, MissA's Diary of a Benefit Claimant closed recently on 1000 posts.

With respect, I really do think that Benefits should stand alone.
Money and Legal may well cover house transactions, bereavement, estrangement, wills, all sorts of very valid issues.

It was my experience that the Benefits attracted so much targetted advice, much based on personal experience or background training.
This was able to reach readers quickly and simply without having to wade through so many other issues.

The forum only came into existence in October 2021.
Was it really so poorly used?
I worry that posters needing help, often very quickly, may fall by the wayside before being spotted by someone who has the appropriate advice.
What do others think?
I would ask FN to please re-instate the stand-alone forum.

LilyGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 19-Aug-22 19:03:21

Hi all,

Sorry for the confusion here.

Pensions and benefits had very little engagement, so we combined it with legal and money (which is far more active).

We have moved the threads from pensions and benefits into legal and money and we will be renaming it 'legal, pensions and money' very soon.

Doing this has lots of benefits, including searchable results in google - so it's better for user experience.

LilyGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 19-Aug-22 18:21:18

Hi folks

Rather unhelpful, but we're not aware of any changes here - or why this has disappeared! We're looking into it now, thanks so much for flagging. We'll get back with an update as soon as possible.

FannyCornforth Fri 19-Aug-22 08:16:26

I’ve just emailed Mumsnet and asked them to have a look.

Btw, isn’t it quiet on GN at the moment? ?

FannyCornforth Fri 19-Aug-22 08:09:24

This is one of the threads started by Pammie1
I’m not sure if she is still on GN www.gransnet.com/forums/legal_and_money/1303190-Anyone-need-help-with-applications-for-PIP-DLA-AA

FannyCornforth Fri 19-Aug-22 08:05:15

DaisyAnne

I don't know how anyone is supposed to know that Legal, pensions and money includes Benefits.

Why make it more difficult, especially at a time like this?sad

Doodledog I think this answers your question.
If you are looking for specific advice and information , to have it all under the ‘Benefits’ heading is most useful (especially if people include the topic eg Carers Allowance in the title).
I remember that one specific poster was extremely knowledgeable about the Benefit System, and she started a very informed and informative thread.

I’ll see if I can find it …hmm

JackyB Fri 19-Aug-22 08:03:24

There's far too much stuff in Chat that belongs elsewhere. Look at all the Corona threads in there, when there is a forum specifically called Coronavirus

FannyCornforth Fri 19-Aug-22 07:55:09

‘Morning all
Well, I’ve reported the thread.
I don’t hold much hope for a reply anytime soon though, as spam that I reported two days ago is still up.
I’ve found that the best thing to do to get a swift response is to email Mumsnet.
So I’ll do that later when I cba!

What was the NPD thread which did / didn’t disappear?
Was it the Flying Monkey one? That’s still on the go

boheminan Fri 19-Aug-22 07:20:21

StarDreamer I thought Other Subjects had morphed into AIBU???

StarDreamer Thu 18-Aug-22 22:15:45

Has Other Subjects been submerged as if into strawberry blancmange in Chat?

Doodledog Thu 18-Aug-22 17:23:39

A better search facility would solve the problem, and make a lot of other things easier at the same time.