Gransnet forums

Site stuff

Nightwatch and Trolls - can we use it? ?

(17 Posts)
FannyCornforth Wed 21-Sep-22 08:58:40

Hello
Mumsnet has a group of volunteers called The Nightwatch.

Posters report obvious troll threads to them on the Nightwatch forum.
And I mean really obvious ones, like the one that we currently have on here about plastic phalli.

The Nightwatch folk are able to hide the thread, and then the next day, the moderators look at it and more often than not delete it.

I remember about four or five years ago MN was inundated with nocturnal trolls (probably one person) -they’d create up to about 40 threads at a time, constantly changing name.
Some were really horrible and involved child abuse.
I believe that the police were bought in to deal with the individual/s.

GN are much more fortunate troll wise, but if they do migrate to over here - can we report to Nightwatch?

Thank you.
(I’ll report this post to see what HQ say)

AnnieGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 21-Sep-22 15:39:13

Hi Fanny - thanks for your question. It's a good one!

I'm actually not sure if MN night watch has the power to hide threads on GN but I shall check.

FannyCornforth Thu 22-Sep-22 05:53:55

Thanks Annie smile

FannyCornforth Fri 23-Sep-22 03:30:51

I’m bumping this as I see that the same troll is back with their nonsense

Oldwoman70 Fri 23-Sep-22 06:51:57

The thing these inadequates forget while trying to shock the "little old ladies" is that most of us were teenagers during the 60s and 70s - there is very little we haven't seen, said, heard and done, our stories alone would terrify them grin

BlueBelle Fri 23-Sep-22 07:18:13

But those of us that are awake in the night do report these already Fanny I agree the movement isn’t always quick enough but if you have some gransnetters with the ability to remove threads won’t there be even more ‘them and us’ complaints

Riverwalk Fri 23-Sep-22 08:21:10

IMO it's best just to ignore the odd sex troll that appears overnight - GN doesn't get that many. The first person who sees it could report and say so on the thread, then everyone else just leave be and not comment.

And the same for the spam advertising for retirement villages in the US, or fashion from Inda, etc.

FannyCornforth Fri 23-Sep-22 08:39:14

Riverwalk It was just something that I wondered, just in case we ever do get some of the really nasty ones that I alluded to.
A lot of people do get drawn in (ill children in hospital and that sort of thing)

I agree with you about the daft ones like last night’s.
They aren’t really worth bothering about.

BB I didn’t mean for GNers to act as Nightwatchers.
I wanted to know if the existing team are able to hide threads. (NiteWotcha et al).

They know what to look out for. I’ve never known them to hide a thread that hasn’t gone in to be deleted.

Galaxy Fri 23-Sep-22 08:48:55

I actually think the sex trolls are something different. I think we and websites tend to minimise that type of thing.

FannyCornforth Fri 23-Sep-22 08:59:56

Sorry Galaxy, I don’t know what you mean.
Can you explain please? smile

Galaxy Fri 23-Sep-22 09:28:02

So I view them a bit like flashers (something that is also minimised) a form of sexual exhibitionism. I see them as different to your common or garden troll. Bit off topic I suppose .
I think nightwatch works well on MN from what I see but its something I dont know a lot about.

AmberSpyglass Fri 23-Sep-22 10:46:21

Community moderation is an actual job and anyone doing it should be paid for it, no matter what time of day or night.

BlueBelle Fri 23-Sep-22 11:07:36

Well I don’t understand what you mean then Fanny you suggested a group of volunteers called the night watch …. who would these volunteers be then if they aren’t GNetters and they’ve aren’t moderators who are they ??

Isn’t it best just to have the first person who sees them in the morning reports them as we do already

JaneJudge Fri 23-Sep-22 11:09:22

I obviously miss all this too

FannyCornforth Fri 23-Sep-22 11:23:10

BB I mean the Mumsnet Nightwatch team.
I didn’t suggest anything other than using the same people.
I asked if we could report obvious trolls to them. And if they were able to hide threads on here.
It’s the same company so I assumed it was all the same system as so many things are on here

BlueBelle Fri 23-Sep-22 14:00:10

Oh I see Fanny
Well we ve never had anything we ve asked for up to now so don’t hold your breathe ???

welbeck Fri 23-Sep-22 14:09:02

that's a good point, Galaxy, and one often overlooked.