Gransnet forums

Site stuff

The site is driving me mad!

(155 Posts)

GNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

DaisyAnne Thu 13-Oct-22 12:51:59

Every time I type a post, I move from the message box to check it out and hit an advert which takes over and directs me elsewhere.

I'm too fed up to continue at the moment, but I will try and post this before the clutter gets me.

NanKate Thu 26-Jan-23 08:44:16

The piece of paper has to move with the advert so my clever trick doesn’t work very well.

NanKate Thu 26-Jan-23 08:41:39

Still these blasted LARGE adverts in the middle of threads. Does anyone believe HQ will stop them ?

I now have a page from a notebook which I put over the offending ad.

It’s driving me bonkers. 🤪

Farzanah Tue 24-Jan-23 14:11:37

Contact GNHQ through Twitter. May get more response?

FannyCornforth Tue 24-Jan-23 13:59:58

Ailidh yes, that’s what I get.

FannyCornforth Tue 24-Jan-23 13:59:08

Farzanah

You wouldn’t get used to these FannyC. They are silent videos interrupting threads. They have returned on my iPad and I’ve told GNHQ that I’m leaving. I think they have a bug which is showing up on iPads.

Oh, okay.
I do get the ones in the middle of threads, and the little ones, right on top of where you want to type your reply.
I’m on my iPhone

Ailidh Tue 24-Jan-23 13:58:09

This is the one I get in most threads, every day, every time I check.

FannyCornforth Tue 24-Jan-23 13:57:33

Delila

I saw Lily’s response on here, but she said this is a trial - has a decision been made since then to make it permanent? You seem to know the latest FannyCornforth.

I think that she was being tactful, shall we say!

Jaxjacky Tue 24-Jan-23 13:54:44

I don’t get any on my iPad either.

Shinamae Tue 24-Jan-23 13:40:40

Just this on my iPad today, don’t get any moving adverts at all..

Delila Tue 24-Jan-23 13:36:41

I saw Lily’s response on here, but she said this is a trial - has a decision been made since then to make it permanent? You seem to know the latest FannyCornforth.

Farzanah Tue 24-Jan-23 13:34:14

You wouldn’t get used to these FannyC. They are silent videos interrupting threads. They have returned on my iPad and I’ve told GNHQ that I’m leaving. I think they have a bug which is showing up on iPads.

FannyCornforth Tue 24-Jan-23 13:26:17

Delila

Perhaps GNHQ haven’t read this thread?

They have.
And responded to it.
The ads are here to stay.
I’m not a fan, but I’ve got used to them, I must admit.

Delila Tue 24-Jan-23 13:23:22

Perhaps GNHQ haven’t read this thread?

Delila Tue 24-Jan-23 12:59:13

I had a reply to my complaint from Lily at Gransnet. She said they’d had a look at the ads in question and they were satisfied that they’re “appearing as intended”, but she’ll pass my feedback on to the ads team.

The ads are videos with no apparent means of switching them off. Today I’ve been welcomed to Morocco among other things, and the ads seem to be endorsed by Mumsnet & Unilever. No sound (one small mercy).

lovebeigecardigans1955 Tue 24-Jan-23 12:43:15

This happens now and again to me on the laptop. I find it doesn't matter too much if it's a straight answer to a straight question but for limericks when one needs to repeat the last few lines on the previous post it's really annoying.

BlueBelle Tue 24-Jan-23 12:42:17

Theexwife

The only way to get rid of reads is to pay for membership, this is a business not a cosy group staffed by volunteers.

Then they ll lose everybody, so lose lose situation

If you click to get rid of the little ones in the corner they then pop up big in the middle of someone’s post 😵‍💫😵‍💫

SachaMac Tue 24-Jan-23 12:36:10

I thought I’d got rid of the small ones that pop up in the bottom right corner but they’re now back. I find them more irritating than the bigger ones as you scroll down the page.

Oldbat1 Tue 24-Jan-23 12:31:18

HATE HATE these pointless adds. Totally ignore them. Wouldn’t be able to tell you what any of them are.

Squiffy Tue 24-Jan-23 12:18:44

Do any of us actually read any of these ads? They seem pretty pointless if we’re all just scrolling past them, especially if GNHQ are aware that we do! So what’s the point of them?

FannyCornforth Tue 24-Jan-23 11:54:16

Theexwife

The only way to get rid of reads is to pay for membership, this is a business not a cosy group staffed by volunteers.

Mumsnet tried that, and it went down like a lead ballon.
I think that it was about three years ago.

Theexwife Tue 24-Jan-23 11:39:33

NanKate Tue 24-Jan-23 11:00:10

How do you click them off NorthFace please as there is not a small x anywhere on the screen of the advert ?

NorthFace Tue 24-Jan-23 10:46:09

I agree, Doodledog. That does appear to be the case.

And while these videos can be clicked off it is still more clicking which has to be done each time the user moves to a different topic. As well as those forum users who suffer visual disturbance, for a user with impaired hand mobility and/or someone using assistive technology, that is making the site just that much more difficult for them to use and that's just plain wrong.

Ailidh. As a wearer of varifocal lenses (and expensive ones at that) I find pop ups in the corners of screens cause me visual disturbance. Some tabloid newspaper sites are particularly bad for this so I avoid them.

It comes back to one of the absolute fundaments of web design. Who is the user likely to be, what are their needs and what can we do to make the site as easy as possible to use?

Ailidh Tue 24-Jan-23 10:19:07

I don't mind the little one that pops up bottom right, ironically the one you can close. In fact, I'd probably read some of them. The big ones that interrupt a thread just make me move on, or rather, move off GN.

Doodledog Tue 24-Jan-23 10:13:58

growstuff

I use a PC to access Gransnet. I don't think I've ever had an ad.

I don't get them on a laptop (using Safari) but they are harder to block on phones and tablets, which I get the impression most people use to access GN.