Gransnet forums

Site stuff

Acronyms

(15 Posts)
Theoddbird Wed 30-Mar-16 12:33:56

I can't be the only person on here who detests acronyms! Why can't people type whole words? They drive me potty... Please people stop using them! Rant over...grins!

pompa Wed 30-Mar-16 12:40:09

FYI, TBH, I've got better things to do IYSWIM

ninathenana Wed 30-Mar-16 14:12:40

Often CBA to type in full. Why should I stop just because you don't like acronyms
grin

PRINTMISS Wed 30-Mar-16 16:42:04

I takes me longer to work out an acronym than it does to type the words in full.

Synonymous Wed 30-Mar-16 16:57:28

Once you know what they are it is so much quicker. smile

phoenix Wed 30-Mar-16 17:04:52

Shan't, so there.

phoenix Wed 30-Mar-16 17:06:01

Shan't, so there.

kittylester Wed 30-Mar-16 17:07:40

Nor will I, either. grin

Elegran Wed 30-Mar-16 17:29:27

The meanings are obvious - they are close relations like H for husband, W for wife, D for daughter, S for son, GD for granddaughter, GS for grandson, and so on, with D for dear/daft/damned/dratted in front.

Some of us can touchtype in seconds, but most of us use one finger. It takes a lot longer to type "my daughter-in-law" than "my DiL" and if you mention several family members in one sentence it is like writing War and Peace.

Life is too short to spend too much of it laboriously typing out long names.

NanaandGrampy Thu 31-Mar-16 08:43:04

where I struggle is does that D mean dear/dratted/darn ? It could put a whole new slant on a post.

I use DGC or DGS1 or DGS2 just to distinguish but I do try and write in full when I can , otherwise it can be a bit like being in a club where you don't speak the language !

grannylyn65 Thu 31-Mar-16 09:32:26

I put NVD ( not very dear ) If an 'upset' is/has brewed/brewing!

Alea Thu 31-Mar-16 09:39:15

Theoddbird welcome -are you new(ish)?
You know you don't have to use acronyms if you want to, feel free to write everything out in full, but don't you think it is a teeny bit out of order to rant and ask the rest of to stop using them?
#ministryofacronymenforcement

Indinana Thu 31-Mar-16 09:56:28

No you're probably not the only person on here who detests acronyms, but despite this they're very much in use. Which suggests to me that the majority of people like them. Probably a huge majority. Probably best, Theoddbird if you just learn them - and learn to like them. They ain't going anywhere.

JackyB Thu 31-Mar-16 12:08:23

Personally, I don't like the idea of shortening things either. But I am a trained typist and typing the word out doesn't take me long. I can understand if others who aren't used to typing will go for an abbreviation. But, as I've said before, they are not acronyms, they are abbreviations. Unless you can pronounce them as a word in themselves, such as LOL.

Theoddbird Thu 31-Mar-16 16:30:51

I work for an American company and the American are very much into using them. I sat through a class once an I wrote down 50 or so acronyms that were used in the space of two hours...I didn't know what any of them meant. I have often gone to meetings where they are being use all the time.... When questioned about what they stood for I found that many didn't know. The acronym had literally replaced the words.

Oh and in answer to the question...yes I am newish on here.