Gransnet forums

Sponsored discussions

Please note: This topic is for discussions paid for by Gransnet clients. If you'd like to have your own paid for discussion thread, please feel free to mail us at [email protected]. If you are a journalist, start-up or student and you want to request feedback from gransnetters, please post in Media Requests.

NOW CLOSED Talk to Aviva about what you're looking forward to most when you retire. You could win a Red Letter Day experience for 2 worth £100!

(28 Posts)
MichelleGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 24-Jun-13 14:31:38

The folks at Aviva would like to know what Gransnetters are looking forward to the most about retiring. Here's what they say: "While everyone’s retirement is different, it’s fair to say that most of us look forward to the opportunities that this exciting period of our life may bring. Whether it’s simply having more free time to spend with your friends and family or embarking on that great new adventure you’d always planned, but never quite got round to doing. We believe that retirement should be something to look forward to. That’s why we want you to help us inspire, and support others by sharing your retirement plans, stories, tips and achievements. We look forwards to hearing what you have to say."

So, if you're yet to make that change, please let us know what you're planning to do when you retire. Maybe you have a nice holiday in the pipe line? Or are looking forward to spending more time with your DGCs? Or perhaps you're going to take up a new hobby or improve an existing one? Will you carry on doing paid work at all? How do you feel about retirement? How about if money were no obstacle - what would your dream retirement look like? How does your retirement differ from your parents?

If you're already retired, what did you look forward to the most before you retired? Is it what you expected? What do you enjoy most about retirement? Do you miss work? Do you still do any paid work? Do you volunteer?

Please share your thoughts on this thread. Everyone who adds a comment will be entered into a prize draw where one winner will receive a £100 voucher towards a Red Letter Day experience for two!

If you'd like any help planning your retirement you can visit Aviva's Retirement Centre for help and advice.

Thanks and good luck,

GNHQ

j08 Mon 24-Jun-13 16:47:48

hmm What crap! Blatant advertising.

Elegran Mon 24-Jun-13 17:03:19

So are all the Gransnet discounts, the free things and the give-away books. They pay for the site and the dozen or so people working backstage on Gransnet. At least it is an official paid-for advert, unlike the hopefuls who post maverick unpaid ones on the forum threads. Would you rather pay a sunscription?

j08 Mon 24-Jun-13 17:09:55

Probably.

One hundred pounds to one Gransnetter. For all the information they are likely to glean from here. hmm

Does someone think we're stupid?

Nonu Mon 24-Jun-13 17:15:20

What a £100 , bit of an insult, also has to be put towards the "Red Letter ",
so how much is that going to cost ??

Probably be won by someone I have never heard of , usually is !!

GeraldineGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 24-Jun-13 17:45:05

We're doing some work with Aviva - there's also a Q&A. As you know, Gransnet is supported by advertising. That's how everything we do for, and offer, members is free. (If only there were 12 of us, btw!- there are four and we draw on the rather richer resources of Mumsnet for tech and other support). Without advertising there would be no Gransnet.

One of the things we can do is generate discussion about things that are of interest to brands, such as how people think about retirement and what they want to get out of it. Advertisers are very interested in what gransnetters think and they will look at these threads.

We're sorry you don't think it's a great incentive - but Aviva genuinely are interested in what we think about our future and what we want to achieve in this stage of life. If we don't tell them what would enable us to have a better retirement, there won't be any products and services to help us do that. And there won't be any Gransnet either. sad

j08 Mon 24-Jun-13 17:47:26

I wanna know who I was chatting to on the old email yesterday afternoon. The one who thinks she's the Scarlet Pimpernel.

Stansgran Mon 24-Jun-13 17:51:32

I have an Aviva pension. Does that disqualify me in some way? I looked forward to trav.elling around the world and expected to explore England every weekday when at home. Still waiting

Granny23 Mon 24-Jun-13 19:49:42

The best thing about retirement is having time to spare to help look after and get to know the DGC.

The second best is still - even after 8 years - waking up on a cold dark Monday morning, then turning over and going back to sleep. Or waking on a bright sunny morning and thinking what shall I do today? Freedom -no longer a wage slave at everyone's beck and call - Bliss.

j08 Mon 24-Jun-13 21:52:49

Another fortyfive quid and you could do this

janerowena Mon 24-Jun-13 23:26:46

I had to look up red letter days, I had no idea what they were.

If money were no object, I would buy somewhere abroad to spend the cold winter months. As things are, I shall probably spend my retirement huddled under a fleecy blanket with a thermos and a hot water bottle, my wizened claws desperately reaching out for the computer.

I am already virtually retired really, but OH has many years to go. So I shall be working harder because then I shall have to cook his lunch and do extra shopping and have him around all day making more mess and making me watch cricket and other sports. I shall look forward to not having a set routine, being able to wake up when I want to and not feeling guilty if there is a film on that doesn't end until 1.30am.

Which reminds me.. best get off to bed, early start tomorrow.

janthea Tue 25-Jun-13 11:00:41

I'm looking forward to helping my daughter with her third child, due at the end of November.

Being able to do things as a more leisurely pace rather than rushing to fit in everything on a Saturday and Sunday.

Do things I don't get time to do at the moment - such as tidying out cupboards and throwing away unwanted items. Reading more books. Visiting friends and going on outings. Sorting out the garden. More cooking for pleasure instead of cooking something quickly when I get in from work! Not getting up every morning at 5.45am to get ready for work!

Charleygirl Tue 25-Jun-13 15:00:28

I had 6 months at home when I retired. I was facing winter which I did not enjoy so I found myself 3 part time casual jobs the following spring, 2 of which were related to my old work so were well paid. That gave me sufficient money to redo kitchen, bathroom etc. paint house etc. and put some dosh away for a rainy day.

I had to stop 4 years ago as breaking my ankle was not conducive to hiking around and the IR appeared to take a personal interest in my earnings so for an easier life, I took full retirement and never looked back. I do not know how I found the time to work full time for 40 years.

It is great not using an alarm clock on a daily basis, I still get up early but from choice.

Divawithattitude Tue 25-Jun-13 17:01:26

Time
to read a book all day
to go swimming in the middle of the day
to meet a friend for lunch midweek
to even watch day time TV if I want to
to vist friends in farflung places
to give my garden the attention it deserves
to become a grandma who has the time to give that my grandchildren would like me to have!
to put in more time for my favourite local charity
to sit and do abolsutely nothing..................

Grannyknot Wed 26-Jun-13 16:01:10

I'm looking forward to learning the gentle art of goofing off.

Tegan Wed 26-Jun-13 21:20:59

At the moment I'm in a pleasant limbo land of knowing that I can retire in a couple of months if I want to. I do love my job but feel that my work/life balance is out of kilter and I'm finding myself too tired to do anything other than house maintenance when I'm not working. The main thing I'm looking forward to is saving up and booking cheap holidays; impossible to do when you have to arrange holiday time months in advance [and, even then it often gets refused]. Spending time on the garden in a leisurely way, not desperately trying to get those plants potted up/planted before the end of the weekend. Hopefully going to a gym once a week and visiting friends for long weekends. Being able to spend more time studying my favourite long distance handicaps blush and going racing more often during the week. Not being too tired to read a book at night and even having time to sit in the garden and read. Jump in the car and go up to Northumberland when we have a spell of hot weather instead of hoping it won't rain for the two weeks in the year that I can go there. Seeing the grandchildren more often; I've hardly spent any time with the younger one since he was born. At the same time I'll so miss chatting with the people I work with and for sad.

MichelleGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 27-Jun-13 10:40:25

Thanks for all your comments to far.
Stansgran this thread is open to everyone so please do share your thoughts.

sylwright Fri 28-Jun-13 11:33:38

I love not having to set alarm clocks, get up on dark winter mornings and face at least an hours drive through heavy traffic before I could even start work.

I love the freedom of being able to spend lots of time with my grandson and help my daughter.

I love being able to do what I like, when I like.

The only thing I miss about work is the regular salary but you can't have everything

Gilly70 Fri 28-Jun-13 18:28:04

I retired over 10 years ago and love the freedom to do just what me & my DH feel like doing. We both do voluntary jobs, which we enjoy, it helps us to keep in touch with others & make new friends. I did work part time for a while after retiring, but, did not enjoy it much, so gave up. Volunteering is a good way to fill your time and help your local community. It's nice to be appreciated and we have met some lovely people who live in our local community. I do miss a monthly salary coming in, but we did save for our retirement in a modest way and can afford the odd day out and a holiday now & again. We have grandchildren that we can spend time with and spoil now and again too. I do not particularly miss the early morning rush, the awful traffic, and the office politics! My hubby is not so stressed, does not have to get up at 05:30am every morning to beat the traffic. Yes, we would like more money and win the Lottery, who wouldn't. We both worked full time until retirement age, have never claimed benefits, and intend to enjoy our retirement as much, and for as long as possible. Long live Pensioners ��

cabdy Fri 28-Jun-13 18:58:20

Looking forward to going where I want, when I want.

seasider Sat 29-Jun-13 01:06:19

Whenever I am wandering about I always seem to see lots of things advertised I would like to do such as attend talks and exhibitions and join classes purely for interest and to develop new skills. Unfortunately most are during the day and work intervenes! I would like to wake up on sunny days and go out for the day or have a leisurely lunch outside the pub! I want to be able to book cheap out of season holidays and visit the places on my list and I want to be able to help more with childcare for DGC. I might also do more volunteering and have a very tidy house for the first time in my life! how could anybody be bored?

NfkDumpling Sat 29-Jun-13 22:44:37

We retired 10 years ago and celebrated by buying round the world plane tickets and taking ourselves off to see the world for 3 months. By planning it ourselves it cost the equivalent of a couple of 2 week cruises.
Now we fill our time with travelling, sailing, gardening, painting, walking, birdwatching, etc, etc. Like most other retired people we also do regular volunteering and community work, help look after our grandchildren and until recently aged parents. This way we still contribute to the economy despite what some politicians believe.
Life is full and good.

Gally Sun 30-Jun-13 05:51:51

When I 'retired' it was to have children, so that was a long time ago. When the late Mr.G retired we had the freedom to do what we wanted, when we wanted: visit the family as it gradually increased in size, travel at leisure or just 'be' at home. In retrospect, I wish we had done more and appreciated the few short years we had left together and been more adventurous. I am hoping that soon I will acquire the get-up-and-go to do more things on my own. On my list are improve my French, do an art course, return to choral singing, volunteer locally, learn how to sail properly (it was Mr.G's fav pastime), possibly buy a campervan shock, do more with the gcs as they get older and ultimately, move house.

baubles Sun 30-Jun-13 20:16:13

My thoughts on retirement:

I'm so looking forward to not being responsible for motivating and incentivising a staff of twenty.
Monthly reviews and annual appraisals will no longer have me preparing till all hours.
I no longer want to hear the terms KPIs, Bottom Line or Operating Profit.
I have just one more Health & Safety inspection to get through.
These are but a few of the things I will wave goodbye to without a backward glance.

The future (barring disasters) means:

I can look forward to my time being my own.
Being available to help out with my grandchildren.
Putting my house on the market and moving to the city.
Being able to enjoy a spur of the moment picnic.
Having the time to stand and stare.

The date of my retirement is 39 weeks away - the length of a pregnancy - which is apt as it will hopefully herald another new and exciting stage in my life. smile

Grannygee Mon 01-Jul-13 09:07:51

I love being able to bring my breakfast up to bed and sit and listen to the radio for a while. I love being able to say yes to a cuppa with a friend. I didn't realise when I was younger that time would be soaked up by my parents who are both now confused (dad with dementia and mum with confusion issues brought on by two minor strokes). Our lives are now more about thinking about how we can best care for them at home. I'm in the middle of the worst time of my life and I 'retired' to look after them albeit I live quarter of an hour away and am not actually living with them - yet. Retirement hopefully will be about walking, reading, gardening, holidays and spending time with my daughter, son-in-law and family and son and his partner who all live in different parts of the country. Grandchildren are a delight at the moment as they're 3 and 7 months and I could eat them both! Retirement will throw curved balls at us all, health scares, loss of people we love etc. but if you don't find time to enjoy these years - well, as we all know the saying 'you're a long time dead'!