Gransnet forums

Sponsored discussions

Please note: This topic is for discussions paid for by Gransnet clients. If you'd like to have your own paid for discussion thread, please feel free to mail us at [email protected]. If you are a journalist, start-up or student and you want to request feedback from gransnetters, please post in Media Requests.

Tell TalkTalk what you’ll be watching this winter - £150 voucher to be won!NOW CLOSED

(38 Posts)
LucyGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 03-Nov-14 09:13:36

TalkTalk has asked us to find out what TV gransnetters will be watching this winter?

Here's what TalkTalk say, "We have a huge range of entertainment lined up this winter on the UK’s fastest growing TV service and we want to find out what you will be pausing, rewinding and recording as the nights draw in.”

“Are you looking forward to warming up in front of an episode of Lewis or tucking into new episodes of Scandal? Whatever you are after TalkTalk gives you flexible access to great shows without the hefty costs. It's TV you'll be glued to - not stuck with.

“Here at TalkTalk TV we're championing flexible TV and are proud to be the only provider that let's viewers enjoy additional shows from both sides of the Atlantic, blockbuster movies, sports or kids channels for just a month, or in some cases a day at a time, giving you a little bit of what you fancy when it suits you.

“We have hundreds of hours of on demand entertainment from Sky 1, Sky Living, 4OD, Fox and many more so you can catch the latest Gogglebox, Modern Family, The Walking Dead or Homeland. With our new TV Boost packages, TV Box and Collections from ITV, you can watch hours of Suits, Lewis, Birds of a Feather and 30 Rock a month at a time with no ongoing commitment.”

So, what are your favourite TV shows, new and old? Do you tune into hours of The Bletchley Circle at a time or look forward to a weekly dose of Scandal? Are you hooked to classic shows or just found a great new series? Whatever it is, we’d love to know which TV programmes you’re enjoying and how you are watching them!

Everyone who leaves a comment below by 1 December will be entered into a prize draw to win £150 Love2Shop voucher.

Thanks and good luck,
GNHQ

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 03-Nov-14 09:17:29

What is "Scandal"?

(This is an entry into the draw. Thanking you in hopeful anticipation).

smile

Charleygirl Mon 03-Nov-14 09:29:18

Since changeover to HD i am lucky to see any programme because of the poor reception. I live in NW London so heaven help somebody living out in the sticks.

I enjoy Casualty, Lewis, Downton Abbey and any well written murder/mystery. I get 75% of a reception with BBC1 so I watch those programmes but I have to record any I want to watch on ITV, channel 4 etc and even then it is luck if I see the entire programme. I have given up paying for engineers to give me advice (or not).

If I am desperate to see a programme I can catch up on BBC i player but that is not my choice.

Teetime Mon 03-Nov-14 10:51:36

I think it might be easier to say what I don't like;-
Game shows
Soaps
Talent shows esp X factor, BGT
Shows where presenters take over from the experts - e.g. Countryfile otherwise known as Blue Peter TV.
Inane comedy shows like Mrs Browns Boys, Boomers Mr Khan.
Sci Fi
Fantasy
Royal Variety Shows

However what I do like are
Quality dramas (non violent)
Films (recently seen Two Faces of January and Gone Girl - needs to be that standard)
Good quality satirical comedy HIGNFY, QI Mock the Week
Alternative comedy - Some Girls Bad Education
Older programmes (often costume) like Forsyte Saga, dane to the Music of time. Brideshead revisited.
Location Location
Antiques Roadshow
What not to wear - brought up to date

Does that help- predictable I should think. smile

KatyK Mon 03-Nov-14 11:01:42

I enjoy one Soap which is Coronation Street.
I like:

Gritty dramas such as Peaky Blinders
Period dramas, such as Cranford and Lark Rise to Candleford
All those lovely David Attenborough wildlife programmes
Mrs Brown's boys
Mr Khan
Alan Carr Chatty Man (depending on the guests)
Gogglebox
New Tricks
Who Do You Think You are?
Travel programmes such as the one at the moment where the lady is travelling through Italy (Alex somebody) and the cookery/travel ones such as The Hairy Bikers and Gino D'acampo
I dislike anything with whooping and hollering audiences such as Strictly and X Factor.

janerowena Mon 03-Nov-14 12:08:15

I wish there were more films.

I wish there were more documentaries (proper ones, not dumbed-down ones) and fewer reality shows.

I like drama and crime best but don't mind the odd comedy sit-com.

Hate soaps. Especially miserable ones where someone has a disaster or an affair every week.

I like the stand-up comedy, QI, most things with Stephen Fry.

I've really loved the imported crime dramas from Scandinavia and Italy. I liked our own Zen too, I was really cross when that was cancelled due to financial problems.

I don't mind the odd sci-fi series, it keeps DBH happy.

I like gardening documentaries rather than 'how to garden', but appreciate the need for them.

I also get a bit fed up with all the cookery programmes, but if it helps to keep people from living on fast foods, ready meals and takeaways I suppose it's a good thing.

Currently love the Grayson Perry series, Grantchester, loved The Code and hope there will be another series, and Dr. Who! Also liked Brian Cox's programme last week, but there were far too many long shots of arabs gazing meaningfully at nothing in particular.

janerowena Mon 03-Nov-14 12:09:58

PS also hate how all programmes get shoved aside for SPORT.

DBH asked why, and I asked how he would feel if he had to watch someone knitting or embroidering for three hours. He got the point. I wish others would.

gillybob Mon 03-Nov-14 12:28:08

Well it has to be good to tempt me to watch TV as I wouldn't bother otherwise.

Just watched the first episode of The Missing which was right up my street. James Nesbitt doesn't do anything wrong does he? Although I must admit 8 parts is a bit s t r u n g o u t for my liking.

I have a love/hate relationship with Strictly Come Dancing. Love the costumes and the glitz and glamour but hate the twisted voting system.

I also have a deep dark secret that is Coronation Street. shock

joannapiano Mon 03-Nov-14 12:34:23

I record The Great British Sewing Bee when it's on, as I find it relaxing to watch, even though my sewing is rotten.
DH and myself are both enjoying Grantchester at the moment. DH watches repeats of New Tricks.
We don't like any Soaps, Reality TV, celebs doing whatever.

glammanana Mon 03-Nov-14 13:12:45

I enjoy most drama's which are true to life and wildlife programmes with the fabulous David Attenborough I like to cosy up and watch all the amazing filming that goes into his documenteries.
Lifestyle programmes such as 60 min makeover but I do think we have to much of the same kind of programmes really.
I enjoy some box sets available but can routinely forget to keep up to date with them.Is there some kind of reminder to give you a nudge to remember.?
Catchup is the best invention ever and I do use it a lot when I am busy with work etc.
I only really watch Coronation Street but that is built into my DNA I think from my mum's side.grin

Tegan Mon 03-Nov-14 14:24:50

This is my current viewing. Stay in and 'must watch when they're on' programmes include The Great Design Challenge, Peaky Blinders, The Grayson Perrie programme about identity, Channel 4 Racing and The Detectorists. Programmes I stop at when channel hopping; HIGNFY,QI, Grand Designs [and all similar programmes], Embarrassing Bodies blush, Don't Drop the Baby, Gogglebox, Homes Under the Hammer and Made in Chelsea. Pretty much anything that's on BBC4, especially if Lucy Worsley, Dan Cruickshank or Andrew Graham Dixon are presenting it. As for things on ITV, I now tend to wait and buy the box set as I can't stand having adverts every 10 minutes. Currently planning to buy box sets of Breaking Bad, The Wire and Game of Thrones. Very concerned about what will happen to new comedies [eg Bad Education, Gavin and Stacey] now that BBC3 is closing down. It's ok having lots of channels that show repeats of good programes but someone still has to fork out the money to make those programmes [and take risks doing so] in the first place sad.

Galen Mon 03-Nov-14 15:21:05

Grant Hester. Endless repeats of midsummer murders Law and order and Bones (my favourite)

numberplease Mon 03-Nov-14 15:57:38

Hopefully there will be new series` of Vera and Shetland, I also enjoyed Our Girl, but it`s too soon to expect another series of that, if there`s going to be another one. I also will be watching Casualty, never miss it, likewise Eastenders, Neighbours and Home and Away.

Ana Mon 03-Nov-14 16:18:07

I really enjoy well-written, well-acted dramas such as Broadchurch, Happy Valley and In the Line of Duty. I think there are probably new series of those in the offing at some stage.

Missing rather harrowing, and the fact that there are a further 7 episodes to go puts me off, so I won't be watching it again.

On the lighter side, Downton Abbey and Gogglebox - plus I can't miss an episode of Coronation Street! smile

Marmight Mon 03-Nov-14 16:19:13

If they are on I will be watching:
Lewis
Endeavour
Wire in the Blood
Location Location Location
George Clarke (Amazing Spaces, Restoration Man etc.)
Grand Designs
Documentaries
Brian Cox
Celebrity Antiques Road Show
24 Hours in A&E
One Born Every Minute
Graham Norton
Any classical Music programmes on BBC4

I will not be watching:
Sport
Reality shows
Strictly Come Dancing
Soaps
Anything involving Alan Carr, Jonathan Ross, Jeremy Clarkson and loads of other similar eejits, whose names I cannot remember grin

FlicketyB Mon 03-Nov-14 18:58:27

To be honest I watch very little, prefer reading and music. However I do watch The Sewing Bee and, if available while doing the ironing, Location, Location, Location. And that is about it.

suzied Mon 03-Nov-14 21:20:13

Best series ever - Breaking Bad, now watching House of Cards and Orange is the New Black, good but nowhere near as exciting as BB. Like the series that you can watch episodes back to back and don't have to wait a whole week till the next episode when you have forgotten whats happened. I did like Wallender , the Bridge and the Killing. Only soap i like is Corrie. Watch Strictly for the costumes, but hate X Factor, Britains got Talent, and I'm a Celebrity and Top Gear. I will watch the occasional real life hospital or vets programme when OH isn't around. Sewing bee and Bakeoff ditto. Not much decent comedy on at the moment though is there?

henetha Tue 04-Nov-14 10:26:58

Love good drama like Missing.
Wildlife documentaries.
Intelligent quizzes like Mastermind and University Challenge, Connect.
Enjoy Pointless and the Tipping Point.
Almost any comedy; I love to laugh.
Two soaps, EEnders and Corrie.
Lots of News, mainly BBC.
Panorama and Newsnight often.
Strictly Come Dancing.
Breaking Bad, nothing else comes anywhere near it for excitement.
House of Cards,
Homeland.
Sons of Anarchy.
Lots of films.
Masterchef.
Television is wonderful for those who live alone.

trisher Tue 04-Nov-14 20:13:03

Quality Dramas
Imported crime series (The Bridge 1and 2 were great - hope there is a 3)
Only Connect
QI
Have I Got News For You.
Mock the Week
Miranda
Gogglebox
Vera
Scott and Bailey

rosesarered Tue 04-Nov-14 20:23:07

I like to watch tv box sets, so Lewis, The Sopranos, The West Wing plus any good new drama [like Missing] and Downton Abbey.I would also like to catch up with the last series of Lost.

laidback Tue 04-Nov-14 21:21:39

A surprise hit with us last year was Nashville, wasn't that into country music before but ended up buying the CDs too! Then watched the box set of Friday Night Lights with Connie Britton as well. Also enjoy The Good Wife, Homeland, True Detective was really dark and great. Breaking Bad of course, 30 Rock, Parenthood, Walking dead. Grand designs, The News, Gogglebox, football, Wimbledon, athletics, F1 and big race meets. Good documentaries on BBC 4, some musical gems on there.

Watching less actual TV these days view more on catch up, box sets and films.

Icyalittle Tue 04-Nov-14 22:30:32

I watch or record University Challenge, Mastermind, sci-fi films or action movies, Gareth Malone, Masterchef Professionals, HIGNFY and golden oldie films, even in B&W. Some of the drama series but I am squeamish. I am one of the seemingly few in England who doesn't watch Downton Abbey, or any soaps.

Ana Tue 04-Nov-14 22:53:34

We don't all live in England, Icyalittle...hmm

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 05-Nov-14 13:15:45

hmm says - I am an emoticon. Don't wear me out.

Jenty61 Tue 11-Nov-14 13:39:14

Me I will be watching my heating bill!!!! ��