Gransnet forums

Sponsored discussions

Please note: This topic is for discussions paid for by Gransnet clients. If you'd like to have your own paid for discussion thread, please feel free to mail us at [email protected]. If you are a journalist, start-up or student and you want to request feedback from gransnetters, please post in Media Requests.

Do you/ your DH/P have hearing aids for Age Related Hearing Loss? Share your experiences – you could win a £250 voucher NOW CLOSED

(54 Posts)
AnnGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 23-Apr-15 11:58:21

Here at Gransnet HQ we have been working with the team at Specsavers as a hearing care centre to share tips and support those experiencing Age Related Hearing Loss.

There’s lots of useful information here

We also ran a product test with Gransnetters who went along and had a hearing test at their local Specsavers – you can read their feedback on the service received and on the test itself here.

One of our testers was specifically selected to be an Ambassador for Specsavers. She has received hearing aids (courtesy of Specsavers) and we have featured her story here.

Specsavers say “hearing loss is surprisingly common but easily resolved – read Granny Haggis’s experience - it might inspire you to take a free hearing check?”

If you (or your partner/husband) has got hearing aids due to Age Related Hearing Loss we’d love to hear how you/ they have got on with them – how life changing was it? What were “new” sounds that came back to you/ they? How did friends/ partner/ relation react to the aids? And how quickly did you/ they adapt to having the aids in everyday life?

Share your thoughts on this thread and you’ll be entered into a prize draw where one GNer will win a £250 voucher for the store of their choice (selection from here)

Please note, your anon comments may be used by the team at Specsavers on their website, their pages on Gransnet or on social media - please only add a comment if you're happy for it to be used.

Thanks and good luck

nortonc Sun 17-May-15 10:18:36

Had hearing aids from local hospital about 15 years ago. I persevered for months but couldn't get used to them. Went back for adjustments a number of times but still no better. In the end gave up. Two years ago my GP suggested I try again. Appointment for hearing test came through and when I got there was most surprised to find it was Specsavers. My immediate reaction was how could they possibly be as qualified as the hospital? Had hearing test and walked out with new hearing aids. Slightly smaller than original hospital ones and slightly more comfortable. More perseverance and eventually I more or less got used to them although still not all that comfortable especially when wearing glasses. After eighteen months of wear I phoned Specsavers to see what they were doing about further check ups but found they don't do any. At least the hospital had regular recalls for check ups, maintenance etc. I expressed surprise Specsavers did not do recalls and they said I could just go in any time I wanted. I made an appointment and they replaced the small tubes and that was it. No check to see if my hearing had deteriorated further or anything else. I think that is certainly the downside of farming out care from the NHS services. Also surely the more options that are farmed out to private organisations the more the NHS will be able to close departments down, Saves them money but its always the patient who suffers.

mrsmopp Mon 18-May-15 10:57:08

Why is it that deafness, more than any other disability, is so very misunderstood? People have so little patience or understanding and if you ask for something to be repeated, they often can't be bothered and say, Oh never mind, it doesn't matter!
I have been profoundly deaf most of my life and feel continually excluded from general chat. I can only understand one to one so social occasions can be a nightmare. Hearing aids do help but they do not restore normal hearing, and people cannot be heard if they don't face me, if they put a hand over their mouth, if there is not enough light, if there is background noise, if they mumble, if they have an accent of some kind - the list goes on and on.
To have to put up with this and then have a family with little tolerance is so hurtful. I've had people moaning because I need subtitles and they don't like them. My response to that is to turn off the sound and say "see how you like it then."
Any other disability and you would find people understanding and sympathy and help, but with deafness you are a nuisance and an irritation.

AnnGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 21-May-15 09:57:55

Thanks for all the comments - am pleased to say nanaval wins the £250 voucher.