Gransnet forums

Sponsored discussions

Please note: This topic is for discussions paid for by Gransnet clients. If you'd like to have your own paid for discussion thread, please feel free to mail us at [email protected]. If you are a journalist, start-up or student and you want to request feedback from gransnetters, please post in Media Requests.

NOW CLOSED What makes a good lollipopper? Share your thoughts - £300 voucher to be won!

(56 Posts)
KatGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 23-May-16 11:03:44

In many areas of the UK, lollipoppers are considered a part of history - and Churchill Insurance wants to introduce extra lollipop men and women across Great Britain to help keep children safe.

Thinking back to your experience of lollipop men and women, what do you think makes a good lollipopper? Was it essential to you that they had a cheery disposition as they so often do? Or were you only concerned with their knowledge of road safety? Is there anything that sticks in your mind about your lollipopper?

Share your thoughts about what you think makes the best lollipopper possible below.

All GNers who share their thoughts on lollipoppers on this thread will be entered into a prize draw to win a £300 voucher.

The Churchill Lollipoppers are coming! You can keep up to date with the Churchill Lollipopper campaign at www.churchill.com/lollipoppers

Click here for full T&Cs

Thanks, and good luck!

GNHQ

Galen Mon 23-May-16 11:14:54

A bald head! (Who loves you baby?)

joannapiano Mon 23-May-16 11:52:59

I think the most obvious thing I would want, is to be alert for the traffic situation, at all times and not be distracted.

glammanana Mon 23-May-16 12:45:59

Mr Walker knew everyone who attended our school and I'm pretty sure he knew everyone else in a 5 mile radius if truth be known,always had a smile on his face even on cold dreary mornings and knew who would be the last to get to school and he always waited for them and encouraged them along so they wouldn't be too late getting through the gate.
This cheerful chap made it his business to come into school when all the new children where starting school and showed them that when he put his "lollipop" firmly on the ground they stood still and waited for his instruction to cross (once he had stopped the traffic) and the traffic always stopped for Mr. Walker,he stayed by the Roadside until about 20mins past the hour making sure the mums got back across the Road safely once they had dropped little ones at school gates then hid his "lollipop" behind the big bush at no.27s pathway until the afternoon escape from school,he was so missed when he died he was part of my growing up.

Direne3 Mon 23-May-16 16:13:55

I feel that the best Lollipoppers have cheery smiles, common sense and the respect of the children.

mumofmadboys Mon 23-May-16 18:34:04

I remember a lady with a lovely smile who really seemed to care for all us kids.

Ana Mon 23-May-16 18:39:48

Haven't we just had a competition about lollipop men/women...? confused

rosesarered Wed 25-May-16 08:44:01

I would think that good eyesight and being vigilant at all times comes top of the list.An ability to be cheerful woukd be helpful, and of course, good hearing as well.I mention these things because a lot of lollipop people are on the old side.

geeljay Wed 25-May-16 09:40:13

Patience, kindness and the ability to smile.

granfromafar Thu 26-May-16 10:55:33

I will always remember the lovely lollipop lady, Joan, who helped all the children (and parents) cross safely at my sons' primary school. She was the most cheerful person you could hope to meet, and aswell as learning each child's name, she always found out when their birthdays were and had a little treat for the birthday child. Sadly, due to local government costs, the service was lost, and after a while a zebra crossing was was put in instead. Very sad. Black and white stripes and Belisha beacons can never replace a human smile!

dragonfly63 Thu 26-May-16 18:25:51

The lollipop lady for my children always had a smile on her face, a kind word for the children and a lollipop for each one at Cnristmas and Easter. She was very aware of safety and what her role entailed. She was part of the school run and couldn't'
have been a better role model.

durhamjen Fri 27-May-16 18:58:10

A good lollipop person is someone who notices all the children, is friendly and kind.
I know two in this village, and they always have a word for the children and parents/grandparents. If you have not been there for a few days they are concerned.
Sometimes they know what is going on more than the parents who are often on their phones while taking their children across the road.
One lollipop lady gives safety lessons to the schools, going with them and showing them how to cross the road properly.
We know their first names, too.

durhamjen Fri 27-May-16 19:01:32

I've just looked at the terms and conditions, Kat. It finished on 15th May.

numberplease Wed 01-Jun-16 22:19:00

I was a lollipop lady many years ago, I loved doing it, and getting to know who my "regulars" were, but gave it up eventually to become childminder to the first of several grandchildren.

Tizliz Thu 02-Jun-16 17:26:02

Don't seem to have them in this part of Scotland presumably due to lack of traffic

buckleycat Sat 04-Jun-16 22:39:35

I'm pleased to say Lollipoppers are stil very much present on the streets of Nottinghamshire! I really enjoyed seeing them when I was younger, & would always give them a cheery wave & was delighted to receive one back! It's a good way of keeping our children & grandchildren safe on the road & a reminder to drivers to go slow, pay attention & stop when needed. A good Lollipopper should have excellent road sense, confidence, a good sense of humour & a winning smile.. ooh & be wielding the famous lollipop of course! :D

ajanela Sun 05-Jun-16 09:36:30

Reading the introduction to this competition I was reminded that good lollipopers need a knowledge of the rules of the road something we take for granted. With the way some people drive and behave on the road, bravery and a "thick skin" are essential. My latest memory is taking my grandson to school and I appreciated the " good morning", kindness and firmness with the children and waiting to help me across the road on my return.

reneesmith Tue 07-Jun-16 00:37:12

Trustworthy, kind, funny, smiley, likeable, alert and patient x

rowenamccaughan Tue 07-Jun-16 00:53:58

A kind attitude that means drivers and children alike respect them

babs58 Tue 07-Jun-16 10:39:40

I remember in particular one really lovely lollipop man at our Primary School. He was friendly as well as just helping to cross children over the road. He would make small improvised toys from pieces of wood and give them to the children. I was very shy but one day he gave me one of his "television sets", made from a cube of wood. The screen was silver foil surrounded by black tape. I was thrilled.
I realise now the important job that lollipop people do as I work as a Road Safety trainer. Today's roads are so busy that they do an invaluable job.

paperbackbutterfly Thu 09-Jun-16 17:54:36

Kindness patience and firmness. The best Lollipoppers are liked by the children and have their respect as this keeps them safe

Charleygirl Fri 10-Jun-16 09:43:15

Good eyesight and hearing and the ability to move swiftly if an idiot in a car decides that he/she has control. Respect for children, kind and patient.

sammyislost Fri 10-Jun-16 10:52:48

I wish we had a Lollipopper! The roads near our school are chaos.

Someone who the children can say Good Morning to, and they say it back to the children smile The children will respect them and follow their advice on crossing safely.

Janedin Fri 10-Jun-16 17:04:06

A good lollipop lady/man is someone with a friendly face and makes not only your child feel safe crossing but any members of the general public who require assistance crossing the road

Dannydog1 Fri 10-Jun-16 18:01:28

Commonsense
Like children
Firm but friendly
And of course traffic aware