Gransnet forums

Sponsored discussions

Please note: This topic is for discussions paid for by Gransnet clients. If you'd like to have your own paid for discussion thread, please feel free to mail us at [email protected]. If you are a journalist, start-up or student and you want to request feedback from gransnetters, please post in Media Requests.

Who is your spectacle wearing style icon? Share your thoughts with Specsavers - £250 voucher to be won! NOW CLOSED

(347 Posts)
JustineBGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 24-Jun-16 16:20:32

In celebration of its annual competition –The Spectacle Wearer of the Year Awards – Specsavers would like to hear all about your own spectacle wearing style icon.

Whether it’s a famous fashionista from days gone by or someone you know personally, Specsavers would love to know who you think wears or wore their specs with style!

On top of that, why not enter the Spectacle Wearer of the Year Awards yourself – or on behalf of your partner, children or grandchildren? Specsavers will be especially pleased to hear about any male relatives or friends that you think look great in glasses.

Here’s what Specsavers have to say about their competition: ‘The Spectacle Wearer of the Year Awards is Specsavers' annual search for fabulous specs wearers of all ages. The competition is open to men and women aged 16 years or over, and the overall winner will receive £10,000 cash and an all expenses trip to New York! Visit www.loveglasses.specsavers.co.uk for more information and enter today.’

Everyone who adds a comment to this thread will be entered into a prize draw where one winner will receive £250 Love2shop voucher!

Tizliz Fri 24-Jun-16 18:13:32

Harry Potter, because he has made it cool for kids to wear glasses, unlike when I was at school.

Disgruntled Fri 24-Jun-16 20:23:57

Good answer, Tizliz. I'd go for John Lennon, David Hockney and Cagney or Lacy (sorry, not sure who's who, but obviously the one who wears glasses).

Lynker Fri 24-Jun-16 21:15:58

I saw 'Pat Butcher' from East Enders on TV this week and she looked fantastic in her specs.... earrings didn't get a look-in!

paulinecnd Sat 25-Jun-16 13:09:57

Julia Roberts looks good in glasses.

carolboz Sat 25-Jun-16 15:34:22

Dame Edna Everage, she always had the most fantastic glasses.

Auntieflo Sat 25-Jun-16 15:59:17

It must be Lesley Manville, of the " Mum" series. Always losing her specs and then finding them on her head. That was me, before cataract surgery.

Grannymoz Sat 25-Jun-16 17:27:05

I have to say I think the guy off pointless looks very good in his glasses, like my son in law. My daughter looks lovely in her glasses though, she always wears them so well and actually looks better in them than her contacts I think. Also I love kids glasses these days, so much nicer than when mine were growing up

chelseababy Sat 25-Jun-16 17:36:35

Kate Silverton for me. I used to like her hair too but she's changed the style.

Envious Sat 25-Jun-16 19:26:35

Dianne Keaton looks good in glasses. She wore them in the movie Annie Hall.

Grannyknot Sun 26-Jun-16 12:46:17

Surgeon and author Henry Marsh. (I loved his book "Do No Harm").

www.theenglishsurgeon.com/?view=photos

annodomini Sun 26-Jun-16 13:35:51

The late Ronnie Corbett

northernfi Sun 26-Jun-16 14:40:24

Bill Nighy for me!

Maggiemaybe Sun 26-Jun-16 16:07:37

I've had to wear glasses since I was 6, when my teacher finally noticed I couldn't see a single thing on her blackboard. Since then I have had wire frames, plastic frames, severe black, multicoloured, non-existent, square, oblong, oval and round frames, tiny John Lennon and huge Deidre Langton frames, NHS and designer frames. Not one of them has enhanced my looks, and I thank goodness (and Specsavers) for my contact lenses.

But my husband and son are my specs wearing icons. They both started wearing glasses for driving last year, each took around 2 minutes choosing the (cheapest and closest) frames and both look even more handsome in them envy

Galen Sun 26-Jun-16 17:06:46

The queen

Nelliemoser Sun 26-Jun-16 19:36:45

Dame Edna Everidge!

BBbevan Sun 26-Jun-16 20:05:20

Nana Mouskouri

Phoebes Wed 29-Jun-16 11:56:50

Has to be Buddy Holly!

grumppa Wed 29-Jun-16 13:16:17

Hank Marvin.

GeminiJen Wed 29-Jun-16 16:29:38

Nana Mouskouri for me too! I needed glasses in my early 20s and was emboldened by her dramatic choice of frames to make a statement with my own. I never regretted the decision grin
Closer to home, my best friend Helen must possess at least 8 different styles of frame, chosen to match different outfits...and she looks amazing in them all....though she would blush to know I said so blush

obag Wed 29-Jun-16 16:54:34

Got to be John Lennon

sweetej Wed 29-Jun-16 17:04:51

I like Tinie Tempah in his glasses, i think it is his signature look, but the best wearer is Liam Mcgregor, imo xx

Granof11 Wed 29-Jun-16 17:11:51

Nana Mouskouri is the first person that springs to mind when I think of this, but also love Dame Maggie Smith.

jammy388 Wed 29-Jun-16 19:03:26

Gok Wan

MaggieMay69 Wed 29-Jun-16 21:01:23

Kate Winslet looks great in glasses! I only looked her up last year as my daughter-in-law always hated wearing hers until someone told her she looked like Kate! :-)