Gransnet forums

Sponsored discussions

Please note: This topic is for discussions paid for by Gransnet clients. If you'd like to have your own paid for discussion thread, please feel free to mail us at [email protected]. If you are a journalist, start-up or student and you want to request feedback from gransnetters, please post in Media Requests.

What type of skin do you have? £300 Love2Shop voucher to be won NOW CLOSED

(446 Posts)
JustineBGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 26-Jul-16 15:59:17

Fairy Non Bio is interested in finding out what type of skin you have, and whether you’ve always had that type or whether it’s changed over time. Did you used to have sensitive skin as a child but not anymore? Or have you found it’s the other way round – your skin has never caused your problems until recently? At what point did it change – perhaps you had eczema and just grew out of it, or maybe your skin became sensitive in your 40s. Whatever your experience, Fairy Non Bio would like to hear about it.

Here’s what Fairy Non Bio has to say: "Fairy Non Bio is a product that can be used not just for people with infants – but also with anyone who wants a softer, more sensitive wash (that still leaves clothes clean!). Skin can be sensitive at any age. Fairy Non Bio’s gentle formula promises to be kind to both your clothes and your skin."

Please share your stories below and you will be entered into a prize draw where one gransnetter will win a £300 Love2Shop voucher.

Thanks and good luck!

GNHQ

Standard T&Cs Apply

Grannyknot Tue 26-Jul-16 16:41:09

My skin is dry, scaly and sun-damaged (thank goodness I always protected my face). When I was younger, having quite an "olive" complexion, I used to be careless about sun protection, I tanned easily.

I had this idea that a "bio" washing product was needed for a good result, so I am very pleased to learn that "non-bio" does the job too, whilst being gentle on my poor old skin.

LullyDully Tue 26-Jul-16 16:57:18

My skin has always needed moisture and I have never stinted on moisturizers, I do not use soap on my face was it would be dry and horrible.
As I am allergic to anything with perfume and other such additives , we have to use Fairy non bio or similar ; if not I would be very itchy.

So non bio and hypo allergenic for me always. Seems to clean as well as the biological generally.

sylver70 Tue 26-Jul-16 18:56:15

I have never used water on my face as I find it to drying and have to moisturise all th time. The dryness seem to have improved as I have matured but I have found that my skin is now very sensitive.

phoenix Tue 26-Jul-16 19:43:16

I have always had dry skin, a real bonus when young as I never seemed to go though the "spotty" thing! However I believe there is a price to pay as I have much worse lines and wrinkles than Mr P, who, although a few years older than me, has very greasy skin.

I have also had problems with very bad eczema,thankfully only on my body, not my face, to the point of umpteen consultations with a dermatologist a few years ago.

I thought/hoped that it was all sorted, but unfortunately I have developed a rather disconcerting condition in a rather sensitive areablush but not thrush, as it is (ahem) external.

Just finished a second course of antibiotics and using a prescribed soap substitute, but,.............sad

dragonfly63 Tue 26-Jul-16 21:37:16

My skin is dry and needs moisturising after my shower every day. I also
suffer from discolouration where I have patches of darker skin at the top of my arms and the side of my face. This doesn't cause any real problems but is slightly embarrassing. My skin has got drier over the years. A gentle washing powder like Fairy definitely helps.

jevive73 Tue 26-Jul-16 21:41:05

Wish there was a nonbio conditioner. Crashed my car due to itching from fabric conditioner.

suzied Wed 27-Jul-16 05:03:08

My skin has got drier over the years, and definitely more sensitive. I tend to get patches of excema, especially in winter, I am usually scratching somewhere! I always moisturise and keep out of the sun. Haven't tried fairy non bio, but might do to see if it has an effect.

carerof123 Wed 27-Jul-16 08:55:07

I too suffer with very dry skin. My hands are very sensitive to any kind of product and if i dont wear gloves when doing housework and gardening i develop small blisters which then burst and itch like crazy. I have a steroid cream to calm things down and a supply of Epiderm to use as a moisturiser.
I also use on my lower legs as they are very very dry and i use an everyday body lotion for the rest of me. I have to be so careful with products i use for my skin so i may well give Fairy Non Bio a try to see if it helps. I must say i do remember as a child my mother always used Fairy washing powder and the blocks of hard soap for laundry, also the fairy soap was always in the bathroom.

emmasnan Wed 27-Jul-16 10:58:56

My skin is pale and I have freckles so always had to be careful in the sun but no other problems when I was young, not many teenage skin problems.

Now I'm older its very dry and does seem to scratch easily, I also get patches of dry flaky skin where my reading glasses rest.

gillybob Wed 27-Jul-16 14:15:57

My skin has always been on the dry side. I only ever had the occasional spot when I was a teenager. My skin is quite sensitive to cleaning products, make-up and bathing products and I am always wary about changing things that I am okay with.

Anya Wed 27-Jul-16 16:59:56

My skin has got less sensitive as I've got older hmm

NanaandGrampy Wed 27-Jul-16 19:05:48

My skin has got drier over the years but I use a day and night moisturer daily and I'm happy with that.

I have only ever use water on my face as recommended by my Gran who had the most beautiful skin.

Pittcity Wed 27-Jul-16 19:17:57

I've always had greasy skin which used to mean spots. But I am glad now as it has slowed the appearance of wrinkles.
I use non bio powder as some of the family have eczema. Have you tried white vinegar instead of conditioner jevive73? It works a treat on towels!

Galen Wed 27-Jul-16 19:55:07

Very sensitive always and now.
I do in fact, use fairy nonbio, or if it's unavailable the Persil one.
I suffer with the asthma, eczema, hay fever trio so have to be very careful.

Parsleywin Wed 27-Jul-16 20:33:29

I would be another in the "Dry" camp but I do enjoy being generous with face and body moisturisers so the dryness is never really a problem.

Nandalot Wed 27-Jul-16 20:43:42

All the family including the DGC have sensitive skin and excema to varying degrees. We have always used non-biological powders, and yes we do use Fairy now. We used to use the 'other one' but find Fairy suits us better. My skin is very dry and I use an Argan oil moisturiser but DH and DGC use emollient from GP.

Regalo Wed 27-Jul-16 21:30:42

I would describe my skin as normal although I have had malignant melanoma. During the menopause the skin on my legs became very scaly...that is more controlled now with good quality body lotion. However I do now suffer from an itchy skin....particularly on my back and scalp, which drives me mad! I have not found anything that really relieves it. Ahhhhhh!

BluetonedBoy Wed 27-Jul-16 23:05:56

AS is common in many teenagers my skin was oily at that age. As if you don't have enough (perceived) problems as a teen I had to cope with acne as well. However, a couple of years of using a non-perfumed soap and an astringent cleanser got me through that particular nightmare. Since then, indeed the last 30 years, my skin has been getting progressively drier meaning I had to add a moisturiser. The explosion in male grooming products has made life so much easier as 20 years ago it would have been considered weird for a guy to use such things but thankfully today it is the norm. I have been lucky with few skin problems and consider it a barometer of general health to have smooth, glowing skin.

mumofmadboys Thu 28-Jul-16 07:56:56

I think my skin would be classified as normal. I use soap and water on it once a day and otherwise use nothing else!

goose1964 Thu 28-Jul-16 10:24:08

i have dry/normal skin & is now a lot less sensitive than it used to be

lolarabbit Thu 28-Jul-16 10:34:46

My DH had always suffered from eczema and so we have always stuck with non-bio and non-perfumed products. However, suddenly in his mid 50's, eczema and other allergies all disappeared. Meanwhile I have gone in the opposite direction, from having non-problematic skin for most of my life to lots of dryness, itching and blotches sad. All down to hormones I guess.

dramatictessa Thu 28-Jul-16 10:37:35

I had the usual teenage spots, but not full blown acne (thankfully!). The skin on my face and body is slightly drier than it used to be, but I have always used Fairy non-bio for laundry and with a bit of moisturiser after showering I don't have any problems. The psoriasis on my scalp, on the other hand, has gradually worsened over the years and now needs treating with potent steroid cream. Wish there was a Fairy to solve that!

Dartzie62 Thu 28-Jul-16 13:00:20

Im fortunate that I dont have many skin problems, but the one thing I find is that using cheap dishwash causes my hands to itch.

Tizliz Thu 28-Jul-16 15:04:37

I have been lucky with my skin. No acne or spots (lots of freckles). Only had one problem when a sun cream gave me a bad reaction. Rarely use moisturising cream and wash with soap (don't wear makeup). OH does get an itchy scalp sometimes but I don't think Fairy Non Bio would get the oil/cooling fluid etc off his clothes.