Gransnet forums

Sponsored discussions

Please note: This topic is for discussions paid for by Gransnet clients. If you'd like to have your own paid for discussion thread, please feel free to mail us at [email protected]. If you are a journalist, start-up or student and you want to request feedback from gransnetters, please post in Media Requests.

Share your tips for preventing cold & flu with Dettol and be in with a chance of winning a £300 voucher! NOW CLOSED

(197 Posts)
EmmaGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 01-Dec-16 09:40:09

Winter is upon us and that means so are the dreaded colds and flus that go with it. The majority of us suffer every year to some extent and many have a number of tricks they use to try and keep colds and flu at bay. Dettol want to hear your tips for preventing colds and flu.

Here’s what Dettol have to say: “Whilst Dettol started by preventing infection and sickness in hospitals in the UK, our brand’s mission was always much bigger. In order to help keep people healthy, Dettol needed to protect families as part of their every-day lives in the home. Fuelled by our passion to do more and backed by our expertise in killing germs, Dettol products are designed to help you protect your family from harmful germs that can cause illness. Our range of Dettol Surface Cleansers kill 99.9% of bacteria and viruses and can be used all over the home. Available in a range of formats such as trigger spray as well as surface or floor wipes.”

Do you load up on vitamin C when you feel the first inklings of illness? Are you regimented when it comes to washing your hands and telling your grandchildren to cover their mouths when they sneeze or cough? Whatever your cold and flu prevention tips are please share them below.

Everyone who posts below before Thursday 15th December will be entered into a prize draw where one gransnetter will win a £300 voucher of their choice (from a list).

Thanks and good luck with the prize draw!

GNHQ

Standard Insight T&Cs Apply

GrannyFlash Sun 04-Dec-16 11:06:33

Vitamin C is the answer. I take Vit C powder mega dose. This isn't necessary if your diet contains a lot of Vit C but that's not easy. Lots of fresh air, however cold the weather is, I really believe it helps our bodies to cope with the air con, the central heating and all the other air trappers we live with. Extra care with hand-washing and hygiene, and most important the warm glow that comes from having a happy outlook, fends off the winter bugs and viruses

Anya Sun 04-Dec-16 11:13:45

Just reading this when next door neighbour popped round to see how I was. Back in the day it was me checking on the 'old lady next door' - now I'm that person sad

millymouge Sun 04-Dec-16 14:57:55

Flu jabs, regularly washing hands, a good diet and plenty of fresh air and exercise. It is difficult to avoid those on buses and trains and overheated offices and rooms who cough and sneeze without covering their faces. Paper hankies that can be binned and not left lying around are a good idea. Overheated rooms are not healthy or necessary. Extra care in wiping well handled surfaces and making sure that cutlery and china are well washed in plenty of hot water. However your must build up immunity yourself, and constantly using antibacterial sprays will not help you to do that. I think we were probably healthier as children without so much worry about germs, germs are after all part of life.

glammanana Sun 04-Dec-16 17:46:48

If you can make sure you get the flu jab every year and at the slightest sign of a cold load up on freshly squeezed orange juice at least 3 at a time twice a day for a couple of days this has always worked well for me and my family.
I was brought up in a Dettol household and mum always put a drop in the washing and in the bath (when it was my turn) I carried on using it when I started up my own home and it has always been on my shopping list since my children where babies.
When out and about I must make sure I always have hand sanitiser with me specially if on and off buses and using shopping trollies it may seem over the top but heyho I don't want anyone elses germs thanks very much.

Pittcity Sun 04-Dec-16 19:55:31

Common sense measures such as washing hands as soon as I get home, coughing and sneezing into a tissue and not over others and getting plenty of fresh air and exercise. I agree that we should be exposed to germs and dirt and that there is such a thing as too much sanitising.

Ginny42 Mon 05-Dec-16 00:26:30

I don't have the flu jab so use very simple avoidance tactics which include the following. A healthy diet; regular acupuncture to boost my immune system; keeping everything in the home clean and I use dettol wipes for loos seats and glass chopping boards and worktops. I try not to ever get really cold, as I think that lowers your immune system. Washing hands on returning home is a tip I picked up on GN although I don't always remember. Will be going on a flight soon, so will take echinacea for a few days before and after.

I think public toilets are a problem area. You wash your hands and then in most you have to take hold of a door handle to exit. I use a tissue or push the door with my shoulder! I wonder about whether hand dryers blow the germs into the atmosphere.

I use my car key to press lift buttons.

futuregran1 Mon 05-Dec-16 10:26:18

Wash your hands and use Dettol antibacterial wipes on door knobs, etc to prevent transfer of germs. Don't forget to bin your used tissues when you have a cold, and don't leave them lying around to spread your germs. As others have remarked, cover your mouth when coughing and sneezing.Please.

carolboz Mon 05-Dec-16 15:11:05

Frequent hand washing, always using a handkerchief/tissue for coughs and sneezes and plenty of natural vitamin C

Magsymoo Mon 05-Dec-16 20:59:22

The only way to avoid colds and other winter nasties is to stay at home, don't let anybody else in especially little people, and don't go out in case you meet someone with said germs. Oh, and try to avoid breathing too much as well.
If you can keep that up during the winter months you should sail through without a sniffle - and without any friends, entertainment, cuddles, life....

ddraig123 Mon 05-Dec-16 23:06:37

Try to stay off public transport if you can, as you'll be sneezed and coughed all over!

Bobbysgirl19 Tue 06-Dec-16 17:17:32

Like GrannyFlash I am a great believer in boosting your Vitamin C during the winter months. I remember when my children were young and used to suffer cold after cold. After taking something called Halborange they hardly ever got a cold. I do try and up my Vit C intake through my diet.

I do not sit next to people who are coughing, sneezing etc. If I get the tail end of someone sneezing I cover my nose and try to hold my breath until I can move away! ??
I try and get into the fresh air every day, if only for a little while. Keep hydrated too, drink plenty of water.

Annie29 Tue 06-Dec-16 19:14:44

Covering nose when you sneeze and mouth when coughing.
Disposing of used tissues in a bag. Washing hands often when out and about.

Cherrytree59 Tue 06-Dec-16 22:41:58

All of the above.
I also anti bacterial wipe fridge door handles
I wear gloves when I'm out and about
Supermarket trolleys' card machines and money all carry germs.
I have even insisted in one supermarket that they Anti bacterial wipe the card machine.
It was sticky with crumbs and bits all round the digits. Yuck

Marion88 Wed 07-Dec-16 16:36:51

Flu jab. Hand gel/hand washing. Don't let anyone breathe on you!

TriciaF Wed 07-Dec-16 17:36:31

Same as Grannyknot avoid crowds, stuffy places such as public transport.
Also we always have some Dettol, and it's a good idea to add a few drops to the water when handwashing, especially after seeing to the chickens.
Birdflu still around here.

Dannydog1 Thu 08-Dec-16 09:57:20

Keep away from crowded places! Not possible I know so healthy diet, tissues and washing hands.

Lynne810 Thu 08-Dec-16 10:02:16

Plenty of hand washing and wear gloves where possible. My own grandmother wore fresh cotton gloves whenever she went out and I can't remember her ever having colds or flu.

ecci53 Thu 08-Dec-16 10:06:04

Two things; stop working with children. Since I retired from teaching 3 years ago, I've had 2 colds instead of the 4 ir 5 I used to get each year.

Don't cough or sneeze into your hand. Use a tissue and immediately wash your hands. If that's not possible, then cough or sneeze into the crook of your arm, so the germs don't get on your hands and you can't then pass them on.

ayjay Thu 08-Dec-16 10:08:10

Keep warm and wash your hands regularly

mrsrwalsh Thu 08-Dec-16 10:16:15

Washing your hands after every task, meal, outing etc.
really makes a big difference and Dettol keeps worktops
etc fairly germ free.

moxeyns Thu 08-Dec-16 10:17:05

I'm with the "let's not flood the world with antibacterials" crowd.
I rarely get a cold; I wash my hands as often as I remember, do volunteer shifts behind the bar in a pub so get sneezed on frequently, and try and remember to take a high-dose Vit D in the winter.

otherwiseknownasGrandma Thu 08-Dec-16 10:21:54

I use a nasal gel supposed to prevent cold and flu germs spreading when I know I'm going to be in close contact with poorly people. I was a bit dubious at first but decided to give it a go and I've definitely caught fewer colds since I've started using it.

I also get a flu jab every year.

bonnie57 Thu 08-Dec-16 10:26:51

I live abroad and I can't buy Dettol in the shops.Miss it from time to time when cuts need attention.
Always used in childhood when I fell over and grazed my knees while out playing.Those were the days.......

Hameringham Thu 08-Dec-16 10:28:03

Have the jab. If feeling off-colour have a medicinal "Hot Toddy" or two.

dahlia08 Thu 08-Dec-16 10:37:14

Cleanliness is next to wellness. Avoid close contact with whoever has a cold if you can. Always wash hands(doors/handles). If you happened to catch the cold try honey, lemon, ginger and lemongrass. X