Gransnet forums

Sponsored discussions

Please note: This topic is for discussions paid for by Gransnet clients. If you'd like to have your own paid for discussion thread, please feel free to mail us at [email protected]. If you are a journalist, start-up or student and you want to request feedback from gransnetters, please post in Media Requests.

Share your tips for preventing cold & flu with Dettol and be in with a chance of winning a £300 voucher! NOW CLOSED

(197 Posts)
EmmaGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 01-Dec-16 09:40:09

Winter is upon us and that means so are the dreaded colds and flus that go with it. The majority of us suffer every year to some extent and many have a number of tricks they use to try and keep colds and flu at bay. Dettol want to hear your tips for preventing colds and flu.

Here’s what Dettol have to say: “Whilst Dettol started by preventing infection and sickness in hospitals in the UK, our brand’s mission was always much bigger. In order to help keep people healthy, Dettol needed to protect families as part of their every-day lives in the home. Fuelled by our passion to do more and backed by our expertise in killing germs, Dettol products are designed to help you protect your family from harmful germs that can cause illness. Our range of Dettol Surface Cleansers kill 99.9% of bacteria and viruses and can be used all over the home. Available in a range of formats such as trigger spray as well as surface or floor wipes.”

Do you load up on vitamin C when you feel the first inklings of illness? Are you regimented when it comes to washing your hands and telling your grandchildren to cover their mouths when they sneeze or cough? Whatever your cold and flu prevention tips are please share them below.

Everyone who posts below before Thursday 15th December will be entered into a prize draw where one gransnetter will win a £300 voucher of their choice (from a list).

Thanks and good luck with the prize draw!

GNHQ

Standard Insight T&Cs Apply

worriedmum Wed 14-Dec-16 23:06:43

I make sure to get my flu jab each year but also eat well, sleep well and wrap up warm! I love being outdoors whatever the weather but make sure I dress for the climate. I don't think you can always avoid catching a cold but the stronger you keep yourself the easier they are to cope with and get over.

sweir1 Wed 14-Dec-16 23:14:13

Limit the time that your central heating is switched on

Andii Wed 14-Dec-16 23:36:11

My son takes Immunace and claims that it really works for preventing colds and such. Keeping the home as germ free as possible, especially when little poorly ones are round is definitely recommended smile

SingingSilver Wed 14-Dec-16 23:48:23

Garlic! When I'm around people with colds I try to add as much garlic to my food as possible. I'm sure it gives me bad garlic breath, but I very rarely catch a cold!

jamielmdjs Wed 14-Dec-16 23:59:11

Being sensible with the temperature and wrapping up even if you think you might not need it. Plenty of vitamins, fruit and veg to keep you tip top.

sydroo Thu 15-Dec-16 04:28:15

Eat lots of clementines and satsumas. The good thing is that, at this time of year, they are abundant and really cheap!

zbody Thu 15-Dec-16 05:43:22

Give in to it a little bit . Colds are an inevitable fact of life . Help yourself though . Some recent scientific research has shown that a high carrot intake won't stop you catching a cold but will ease the symptoms and make your recovery quicker . Its always afterwards that I feel worse so anything that I can do to help I will try . Luckily I love carrot juice.

Carole1 Thu 15-Dec-16 07:13:58

Vitamin C and echinacea tablets

snare Thu 15-Dec-16 07:18:11

wash hands and a spoon full of honey smile

emziemay Thu 15-Dec-16 07:35:21

I eat organic probiotic live yoghurt everyday with flaxseed. I also carry sanitiser when out when I have used public transport etc.

Greyduster Thu 15-Dec-16 07:56:09

I am appalled by the number of people who don't seem to carry anything as simple as a tissue that they can cough or sneeze into. I had to go into town on the tram yesterday for something I couldn't put off any longer, and there were passengers coughing and sneezing without a thought for anyone around them. I felt like walking up and down the aisle handing out tissues from the box I had in my bag and yelling "for God's sake use them!!"

debra1968 Thu 15-Dec-16 08:40:18

I always carry a mini bottle of hand sanitiser with me to use when I've touched things like shopping trolleys and doors in shops, not sure if it works but I hardly ever get a cold!

Anya Thu 15-Dec-16 08:41:40

Well said Greyduster

jazzitup Thu 15-Dec-16 09:11:10

When I go out on a cold day I put my scarf around my face to keep warm and keep the nasties out, Happy Christmas everyone.

Piggypoo Thu 15-Dec-16 09:22:02

If I am out and about, I will not touch door handles with bare hands, I use gloves or my coat sleeves! I try to avoid sitting right next to people on public transport, if I think they look full of cold or flu, the main thing, get your flu-jab, even if you have to pay, it's worth it, so many friends say to me "No fear, I'll not pay for that!". Silly mistake. Also try to eat as healthily as you can, a good diet goes a long way! smile

dmcd13 Thu 15-Dec-16 09:36:09

keep everywhere spotless with dettol. get rid of any lurking germs to help prevent getting cold and flu

jacknutter Thu 15-Dec-16 10:16:12

Take Vitamin C every day

Humph Thu 15-Dec-16 12:47:31

Avoid changes in temperature - especially the transition from summer to autumn

carpathian Thu 15-Dec-16 13:35:58

hygiene is a must, wash hands, remember to cover mouth when sneezing and coughing and make sure you are eating right if you are run down you are more likely to become ill.

Emmamaryd Thu 15-Dec-16 21:01:21

Washing hands frequently, keeping warm and hydrated

loconnor Thu 15-Dec-16 21:39:43

Keep healthy with diet, sleep and exercise, so you're in a better position to fight off illness. Don't obsess over cleanliness as exposure to dirt in moderation is a good thing, but basics like hand washing are important.