Now my husband has retired, he always puts the washing in because he gets up first! We separate the washing into darks and lights and always use the fast, low temperature wash. We use non-biological washing liquid and non-biological fabric conditioner. I do the hand-washing - wool, cashmere etc using special delicate hand wash liquid. We try not to use the tumble-dryer as it's so expensive, but there is a limit to what you can festoon around the house in the winter. We have two electric dryers with 6 bars each to hang the washing over, or dry sweaters flat, a pull-out dryer over the end of the bath with 6 rails to put clothes on hangers and two dryer rails on the guest room radiator. We also use a sock hanger. I think we've got everything covered! It seems to work well and then we finish everything off in the airing cupboard. In the summer we dry everything outside unless it's wet, in which case, the winter system operates! We don't do a lot of ironing now that my husband has retired, but he does his and I do mine!
If it doesn't look creased, I don't iron it!