Gransnet forums

Sponsored discussions

Please note: This topic is for discussions paid for by Gransnet clients. If you'd like to have your own paid for discussion thread, please feel free to mail us at [email protected]. If you are a journalist, start-up or student and you want to request feedback from gransnetters, please post in Media Requests.

Tell Homebase how you prepare your garden for summer visits from DGC - £300 Homebase voucher to be won! NOW CLOSED

(133 Posts)
EmmaGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 05-Jul-17 10:30:19

During the summer holidays, your grandchildren suddenly have much more time on their hands than they’re used to. And, often, that’s where you come in. Homebase want to know about how you prepare for the times you’re able to drag your DGC away from their various screens and out into the garden.

Here’s what Homebase have to say: "No matter how big or small your garden is, you want to create a haven that can be enjoyed by your family all year round, especially in the summer months. You don't have to be a professional gardener to plan your own landscape, which is why we have put together useful advice guides and top tips containing plenty of garden ideas to give you the inspiration you need to begin.”

Maybe you have some garden games laid out that never fail to keep them outside and active? Perhaps you like to cook in the garden - their favourite BBQ treats! Are you lucky enough to make use of the extra time with your grandchildren to get them to help out with the weeding and other small tasks?

Whether you’re preparing games, food, saving odd jobs, or even child-proofing some of the more dangerous parts of the garden (those pesky ponds) please share below how you prepare your garden for visits from the grandchildren. Everyone who does will be entered into a prize draw where one lucky GNer will win a £300 Homebase voucher.

Thanks and good luck,

GNHQ

Standard Insight T&Cs apply

tigga Wed 05-Jul-17 13:04:08

firstly owning 3 dogs we start with a poo pick. make sure the grass and flowers are watered, set out a plan of what we will do ei food drinks, games and the all important indoor strategy should the weather change.

Galen Wed 05-Jul-17 13:33:53

Evict any spiders from the play sand and water table
Clean and disinfect the swing of any bird droppings.
Cover the pond so that the very inquisitive ten month old can't get into it accidentally
Retreat to lounge and put on earmuffs and let darling daughter supervise her little angels!

Grannyknot Wed 05-Jul-17 14:32:38

We plant up strawberries in a container so that our 3 year old grandson can help himself - container is at just the right height.

We also have two oversized outdoor floor cushions (lugged them back from a holiday in Turkey, they're made from carpeting) and he loves to laze on those in the garden, sometimes nodding off over a book like a little old man.

But mostly, he loves to help his grandpa water the plants using the hosepipe and ... Mum's face is usually a picture because it ends in him getting soaked and full of mud.

M0nica Wed 05-Jul-17 14:33:40

Actually, nothing. Our garden is large with plenty of hiding places and a patio area with a BBQ. No pond and no pets so no safety/hygiene issues with those.

Favourite games are crazy croquet (the lawn is very uneven)and 'finding Daddy in the dark'. Hide and seek in the garden after dark. Best hiding places were when Daddy curled up in the plastic chest we keep chair cushions in in the summer. It is in a hidden alcove. It took ages to find him. It took even longer to find DD who climbed our big tree and got higher than anyone had ever got before.

janeyf Wed 05-Jul-17 15:24:25

No special prep or plans, other than having simple games to hand for taking outside when they arrive

gd Wed 05-Jul-17 15:33:31

Hide all the fragile ornaments

emmmaaa26 Wed 05-Jul-17 15:36:54

Sweep up the patio, jet wash it, get the chairs and table out of the hut, pick poop off the garden and lastly cut the grass.

cathelen Wed 05-Jul-17 15:37:48

I clean down all garden furniture as wee like to eat outside a lot.Also change all the play sand and make sure we always leave the lid on as i find cat like to use it.

maryandbuzz1 Wed 05-Jul-17 15:39:51

I always make sure the paddling pool hasn't any holes as that is always a favourite. I also have some old kitchen tools and pans which they love using in the garden...pits, pans, spoons, whisks etc. We enjoy making and 'cooking' mudpies together.....messy but fun!

falconer Wed 05-Jul-17 15:40:50

It's OK. The garden is built for fun, with no thorns, delicate flowers, ponds ... just grass with a seeuctive slope!

falconer Wed 05-Jul-17 15:41:19

Sorry, that should have been seductive

hartley123 Wed 05-Jul-17 15:42:29

nothing ponds wild flowers garden full of inscets beetles butterflies bees frogs birds the kids love it

beckyinman Wed 05-Jul-17 15:52:05

Mow the lawn and blow up the paddling pool!

Angelwings Wed 05-Jul-17 16:03:44

Our garden has a path around the house that proves an irresistible draw for riding scooters and trikes around. We also have a covered fish pond with large Koy carp that the little ones love to feed because the fish come up out of the water and can be gently touched.
Watering cans are always provided and can be filled from the water butt and watering is encouraged because it saves me a job!
Other than that we have rugs on the lawn and take toys, food and drinks outside too.

bobble5366 Wed 05-Jul-17 16:18:27

we put up the trampoline, they have hours of fun jumping up and down, we can watch as they play little games, taking turns. We also have a paddling pool to cool down afterwards. We invested in a playhouse last summer for the tea parties and having their lunch. I also hunt around the charity shops for dvd's for tea time for them to watch, and calm down before they are picked up by mum and dad.

castleton Wed 05-Jul-17 16:19:02

Make sure grass is cut ( so we can play on it).I make sure all tools are in the garage and it is locked. We are then ready for the fun

sophie56 Wed 05-Jul-17 16:22:16

I cut back anything sharp like the roses. I get out the old blankets so they can make dens to play in and the baskets for picking runner beans to go with the lunch.

lornajk Wed 05-Jul-17 16:26:53

Don't do that much specially as they are around a lot and the garden is very child friendly. There's usually more work to do after they have gone!

dogs1 Wed 05-Jul-17 16:28:42

The garden is a place for having fun so there is scope for digging, planting and picking flowers without being too precious about it. Also pieces of wood, sheets and towels all come in hand for den building.

tallandlong Wed 05-Jul-17 16:43:44

By making sure there chilled juice in the fridge, its hot hard work entertaining!!!!

pamelaJEAN Wed 05-Jul-17 16:44:59

My five grandchildren love coming to grandmas, I usually make them a picnic in the back garden, nothing fancy, sandwiches , fruit and a drink of juice. I sometimes place realistic looking plastic spiders and insects in the borders, my little grandson loves it , when he finds them he chases the girls with them, who run around screaming. I also have a big box of coloured chalks, they love drawing on the patio slabs, also Bottles of bubbles for them . It doesn't have to cost a lot to keep them amused.

barbedwire71 Wed 05-Jul-17 16:46:04

we get all the giant jenga out, cover the pond and get the kids gardening stuff out

cinders59 Wed 05-Jul-17 17:17:51

make sure the grass is cut and the trampoline swing and slide are in good clean working order

hdh74 Wed 05-Jul-17 17:28:20

We have a safely enclosed garden, with no pond, no pets, and no poisonous plants and it is kept pretty tidy so it only really needs a quick check over for any unexpected hazards.