Gransnet forums

Sponsored discussions

Please note: This topic is for discussions paid for by Gransnet clients. If you'd like to have your own paid for discussion thread, please feel free to mail us at [email protected]. If you are a journalist, start-up or student and you want to request feedback from gransnetters, please post in Media Requests.

Tell Homebase how you prepare your garden for summer visits from DGC - £300 Homebase voucher to be won! NOW CLOSED

(134 Posts)
EmmaGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 05-Jul-17 10:30:19

During the summer holidays, your grandchildren suddenly have much more time on their hands than they’re used to. And, often, that’s where you come in. Homebase want to know about how you prepare for the times you’re able to drag your DGC away from their various screens and out into the garden.

Here’s what Homebase have to say: "No matter how big or small your garden is, you want to create a haven that can be enjoyed by your family all year round, especially in the summer months. You don't have to be a professional gardener to plan your own landscape, which is why we have put together useful advice guides and top tips containing plenty of garden ideas to give you the inspiration you need to begin.”

Maybe you have some garden games laid out that never fail to keep them outside and active? Perhaps you like to cook in the garden - their favourite BBQ treats! Are you lucky enough to make use of the extra time with your grandchildren to get them to help out with the weeding and other small tasks?

Whether you’re preparing games, food, saving odd jobs, or even child-proofing some of the more dangerous parts of the garden (those pesky ponds) please share below how you prepare your garden for visits from the grandchildren. Everyone who does will be entered into a prize draw where one lucky GNer will win a £300 Homebase voucher.

Thanks and good luck,

GNHQ

Standard Insight T&Cs apply

helsrodders Thu 06-Jul-17 11:02:48

We only have a small garden. We weed and feed, plant some annuals in the pots, mow the lawn and then we're ready to go.

happysouls Thu 06-Jul-17 11:45:08

Sadly my garden is a dangerous disaster zone and totally unable to prepare it for safety in any way! From the rotting balcony with no railings to the pond...no way I'd let any child near it! Luckily we have an absolutely fantastic park not too far away!

Samantafg Thu 06-Jul-17 11:56:24

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Tizliz Thu 06-Jul-17 12:10:22

Pick up after dogs several times a day, and try to have a flatish area for a tent - though whether it will be warm enough for them to sleep out there I don't know.

DiJones Thu 06-Jul-17 12:24:04

Ha, I have this one nailed. My first floor flat doesn't have a garden.

Maisiesnan Thu 06-Jul-17 13:31:57

We make sure we have a shadowy spot, get Sunscreens on, pool filled water pistols at the ready,towels handy and a picnic prepared then it's Fun Time

Grannymoz Thu 06-Jul-17 20:18:25

Well my husband cuts back the bushes etc. We have a sand pit and paddling pool that we get ready, we love to play outdoors with her and like to have picnics in the garden

Humph Thu 06-Jul-17 21:06:44

Go out and buy a new toy

kamoc Thu 06-Jul-17 21:17:58

I make sure the area is tidy and we have a lot of games for them to play

smudgerok1 Thu 06-Jul-17 21:39:08

my gardens always in top nick so just a general check nothings been lying around and the sheds are secured

Pumpkin2 Thu 06-Jul-17 21:54:39

Our garden is only small so it would not need much

Swanny Thu 06-Jul-17 22:29:36

I live in a sheltered housing scheme and we have a beautiful internal courtyard garden of lawn, hedges, fruit trees and flower beds. Unfortunately for everyone's DGC, it's strictly for residents only sad However, we do each have a small patio space at our back doors so DGS and I are able to eat outside if we want. There is also a wide walkway between the cottages and the garden where we can have plant pots etc, so I have a 'trug on legs' where DGS and I have recently sowed lettuce, spring onion and carrot seeds. The intention was to show him how vegetables grow and that they don't just appear in supermarkets. What I didn't reckon on was that he would jealously guard his seeds, inasmuch as I'm not allowed to touch them grin I've had to tell him the squirrels have eaten the lettuce (sorry for maligning any squirrels reading!) but I haven't yet worked out how they're going to be able to pull the onions or carrots from the earth hmm

Cailin7 Thu 06-Jul-17 22:47:27

Not much additional things required for GC coming round. Usually come round and help with any new planting. They have their own wee plots. We just make sure we have cold juice and ice lollies!

joannapiano Fri 07-Jul-17 09:01:55

We cut the grass and make sure the fence at the bottom is secure as we have a stream there.(And in all this hot weather it has never dried up!)
DGD aged 9 likes to dead head the marigolds.

rosesarered Fri 07-Jul-17 14:20:55

We make sure there aren't any sharp stones, or upright canes that don't have something safe on top of them ( plastic flower tops) and that the shed door is kept locked.Two of our DGC are young, so very important.
We keep the lawn well mowed, and make sure the paddling pool hasn't developed any holes/splits, as being in water is their favourite thing.
We always grow sunflowers from seeds for them, and they like to check the progress, we also grow cherry tomatoes and runner beans for them ( they eat them raw.)

headsy12 Fri 07-Jul-17 21:30:12

This is our first summer with grandchildren old enough to toddle in the garden. We always cut the grass before the children arrive, make sure all the tools are away and the shed locked. Then we get out the sand and water shells various toys and the fun starts.

Ikea1234 Sat 08-Jul-17 09:14:40

We have a couple of garden beanbags for the children to sit on in the garden, and they love helping us to water the plants when they come over. We also have a couple of trees they love to climb, and have used a couple of old sheets to make dens with under the branches. To be honest though, the work usually begins when they have left!

rachelmi Sat 08-Jul-17 10:26:54

I wash down the patio furniture and put out the seating

Liz46 Sat 08-Jul-17 20:14:12

I grow peas in a large pot and when the peas are ready, give the pot to the grandchildren. It keeps them busy for ages, finding the pods, getting the peas out and then eating them. The seeds germinate better if I cover the pot with cling film until the peas start to come through the compost.

lilihu Sat 08-Jul-17 23:41:45

Lots of little paths to follow. Birds to feed. Hedgehog house to study. Lots of dressing up clothes for outdoor plays. Just need the sunshine!

Purpledaffodil Sun 09-Jul-17 15:31:00

This used to be a large pond with a smaller pond next to it. Although I had a safety grid installed, it was always a worry when GC visited. Lots of labour and a little expense later and we now have extra patio for summer fun and also a home made water feature. All child friendly and loved by the birds too.

shahedc Sun 09-Jul-17 17:19:10

Hide all the breakables away

GrandmaCornwall Mon 10-Jul-17 00:44:05

We have a magical section to our garden where my grandson likes to dig. We have helped him dig an island surrounded by a moat which he fills with the hose pipe. The water runs down a 'river' past a ' volcano' then down to the daisy bank , under a bridge, past the stone wall and pine cone heap and down the waterfall into the moat. All of this was created by him and is very basic and muddy, but he loves it and we are now making ' houses' with mud and stones.
I found this boring at first but now I see how much pleasure he gets from it I enjoy our time outside and he responds with such enthusiasm and joy. We are making some wonderful memories.

gillybob Mon 10-Jul-17 13:22:33

Our grandchildren spend a lot of time at our house and the garden is their favourite place to be all year around. It is important that we keep the lawn in good condition as it has to work very hard for it's keep and never more so, than in the summer months when it becomes a football pitch, a gymnastic arena, a dance floor, a camping ground and just occasionally a peaceful place to sit.

We also have shed which is gaily painted in seaside blue and white complete with bunting and was supposed to be for my gardening equipment but has recently been requisitioned by the grandchildren as their pirate hideout complete with skull and cross bones on the door warning everyone to KEEP OUT !

My gardening equipment has now been relegated to a metal container hidden around the back.

The children all love the outdoors and this year are enjoying growing their own potatoes and carrots to eat. My little lean-to greenhouse has been taken over by "fairy gardens" in various states of development.

Happy days.

dilydaly Mon 10-Jul-17 14:17:08

Mow the lawns, fill the pool and get the BBQ out (after arguing over who will be the one to clean it that is !) smile