Gransnet forums

Sponsored discussions

Please note: This topic is for discussions paid for by Gransnet clients. If you'd like to have your own paid for discussion thread, please feel free to mail us at [email protected]. If you are a journalist, start-up or student and you want to request feedback from gransnetters, please post in Media Requests.

What are your top tips for selling a home? - £300 voucher to be won

(346 Posts)
EmmaGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 24-Sep-18 09:58:59

NOW CLOSED

If you’ve sold your home before, or nosed around someone else’s, you’ll know that first impressions count. There’s a load of advice out there on how to get your house market-ready but Purplebricks wants to hear from you with your top tips for selling and what you look for when you view houses.

If you have grandchildren...how do you hide store all the toys?! What about redecorating? Is there a go-to paint colour? Maybe you do small things like having fresh bedding and flowers for house viewings? Or do you clean clean clean and clean again?

Here’s what Purplebricks have to say: “GNers, let’s talk kerb appeal. What gets you going or just gets your goat when you’re looking round a potential new property? Have you got any advice you could share on how to present your property for maximum impact? Share it with us.”

So, whatever your tips are for selling, share them on the thread below and everyone who comments will be entered into a prize draw where one GNer will win a £300 voucher of their choice (from a list).

Thanks and good luck
GNHQ

Standard Insight T&Cs Apply

Lazigirl Sat 03-Nov-18 20:58:24

Only positive varian is that house prices everywhere will be likewise affected. I think London prices are definitely dropping. BTW hasn’t this thread run its course now with everyone repeating the same stuff over & over??

Yearoff Sat 03-Nov-18 22:53:36

My daughter sent her husband to live with his parents until the house was sold! He’s very untidy and she couldn’t take the stress of keeping it tidy with him in it! House sold in 2 weeks. She let him back home after that lol smile

finemang Sun 04-Nov-18 08:40:47

I have never struggled to sell a house, having moved quite a few times. Start by speaking to your estate agent and ask his/hers honest opinion on what potential buyers in your area are looking for. Obviously take their advise on the price. Then tidy up, put excess stuff in the loft but keep your home "homely". I don't believe that making your home look like a show house appeals to as many as one might think. Make sure everything is super clean, and then sit back and wait!!

reelashosser Sun 04-Nov-18 09:08:55

Firstly, walk around your house (from kerb to back fence) as if you are a potential buyer, and have an honest look at it.

Kerb appeal - the house should look attractive, should not look as though old people live there unless price is very low!(I'm old, so am free to say this.)

Garden - make it look immaculate, and if possible, as if it needs little attention.

House - immaculate, and decluttered. It should look as if there is plenty of space. If you have grandchildren's toys, tidy most of them away, just leave a few on show. If necessary ask friends/family to store stuff for you until after the move.

Make sure the house is well presented for the photographs.

If you have pets, ensure the house does not smell, and if necessary try and have dog or cat out of the house for any viewings. I was once attacked by a Siamese cat when viewing a house, and needless to say, it did not endear the house to me!

Be able to pass on local information regarding shops, GP, schools, churches, etc to give to viewers. Have information and guarantees about the house to hand so that you can answer potential questions.

janinex Sun 04-Nov-18 10:42:18

Declutter, declutter then declutter again. Then just to be sure declutter again. People always love a sense of space so they can fit all their possesions into their new home

Janicenicholls5 Sun 04-Nov-18 11:37:49

We did the usual things to sell, vanilla on a baking sheet in the oven to create a nice smell. New coat of paint and soft lighting. People said that they loved our wall lights, which we’ dimmer switched’ to soft.

Lgwsc Sun 04-Nov-18 12:55:47

If you can, make sure the walls are a neutral colour and the garden isn’t too much of a mess. Also putting flowers out and giving the home tour yourself...

nabob Sun 04-Nov-18 14:24:32

I would say that to tidy away clutter from everywhere is a priority. Then polish and vacuum (I am always impressed when you can see the lines of the vacuum?). Fresh flowers , the pot of coffee smelling wonderful and maybe bake some bread! The house will smell so welcoming.

mtp123 Sun 04-Nov-18 14:25:48

Having bought and sold many houses over 50 years declutter is one of the best bits of advice I can give. Put yourself in the position of a potential buyer. Does the house from the outside look well kept? Lawns etc tidy. No toys etc in the front garden. Clean windows ( fresh flowers on a inside window ledge for example make the house look "loved") Keep any pets out of the way not all people love them! Remember what you looked for when you first viewed it, point out additions or improvements you have had done. If you have lovely neighbours tell them. Make sure you check the agents details of your house in case anything has been missed. I could go on and on. Most importantly open the door with a smile on your face and a warm welcome.

shirleyb1 Sun 04-Nov-18 16:55:38

A clean and tidy house and garden
A welcoming seller who gives the prospective buyer some space
An agent who gives an honest brochure with good realistic photographs
And a house for sale that gives the interested viewer that excited feeling that feeds their imagination and sadly there is no preparation for that!

Mouse25 Sun 04-Nov-18 18:44:44

If you are not in a rush for a sale and can hold out, do so, or try putting you house into and auction and setting the minimum amount you will take, I did this twice and it worked for me.

bexlord55 Mon 05-Nov-18 01:14:27

Place yellow flowers around your home, apparently this colour is supposed to induce feelings of 'spending money' and 'wealth' you never know it might just give potential buyers a little push!!

DiWoo Mon 05-Nov-18 08:55:00

Try to make your rooms appear as big as possible by tidying away clutter and unnecessary furniture (think minimalistic), and having light coloured walls. An unpleasant smelling house will also be offputting. Make sure that the outside of your house is as neat as possible - if someone doesn't tend to the upkeep of their frontage, it may give the impression that they won't maintain the rest of the house and you don't want people to be put off before they've even crossed the threshold.

kate1947 Mon 05-Nov-18 15:35:11

Nice clean windows, tidy garden, no clutter and some flowers make a difference

Bikerhiker Mon 05-Nov-18 19:00:11

Apart from clean, tidy and pleasant smelling ensure the viewing is at the best time of day.
Choose quiet time when light is at its best. Check the weather forecast. Everywhere is better in the sunshine. Of course if you are not going to tidy the garden then go for snow!

shaddai88 Tue 06-Nov-18 01:29:50

Decluter and get rid of any unwanted furnitures, clothes and rubbish. Give the house a complete make over: new coat of neutral colour paint, and ensure the bathroom, kitchen, bedrooms are spotless with fresh bed linen and fresh flowers on the table. Make the house airy and welcoming with smell of fresh baked bread..
Make sure the front and back garden is neat and tidy and the lawn is mowed.

EmmaGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 06-Nov-18 10:19:19

Congratulations to @Dormouse1940 whose name was pulled from the prize draw to win the £300 voucher!

sallyc06 Tue 06-Nov-18 10:21:30

I moved recently and cannot praise the Estate Agent enough, they chased the solicitor ofd us and all parties and really pushed everything through. Another must do is keep it going quickly with the solicitor, if they send you a form, complete it and return it the next day, pay any charges immediately, don't hang about at your end, there are enough delays. Also look for a reputable removal company, mine was excellent, I didn't lift a finger until they left the new house. Above all be calm and patient, it can be very stressful!

dawntruetesas Sun 03-Nov-19 14:52:36

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

M0nica Sun 03-Nov-19 16:00:38

Reported