Gransnet forums

Sponsored discussions

Please note: This topic is for discussions paid for by Gransnet clients. If you'd like to have your own paid for discussion thread, please feel free to mail us at [email protected]. If you are a journalist, start-up or student and you want to request feedback from gransnetters, please post in Media Requests.

Share your thoughts on saving for retirement with Scottish Widows - chance to win £300 voucher!

(164 Posts)
EmmaGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 06-Nov-18 14:11:48

NOW CLOSED

We all know that it’s important to be organised when it comes to saving for our retirement. Some of us are pension savvy and have been making regular payment since starting work. Others find it all a bit confusing and scary so bury our heads in the sand. Scottish Widows are interested in finding out how you feel when it comes to saving for your retirement and whether you think women face more challenges when it comes to saving for their retirement?

Here’s what Scottish Widows has to say: “For many, sorting out their pension is at the bottom of the to do list with lots of other day to day priorities to consider. We understand life is different for everyone and a lot depends on what age and stage you’re at in life. Each stage comes with its own set of financial challenges to think about – job hunting, paying rent and student loans, mortgages, marriage, and careers. So when does retirement make the list?

Our latest research shows that many women aren’t planning their pension early enough with women in their 20s far less likely than men of the same age to be saving enough, or anything, for their future. This is worrying given that women statistically live longer than men and earn less.

We want to empower women to take control of their pension whatever their age. We’d love to hear your thoughts as we examine these issues in more depth, so that we can continue to ensure more women take ownership of their financial futures and look forward to retirement.”

So how do you feel when it comes to saving for retirement? Do you feel organised or unprepared? If you’re already retired do you have any tips to share about your experience? What challenges, if any, do you think women face in particular when it comes to saving for retirement? Do you think that parental leave has a big effect on stalling pension payments for women?

Whatever your thoughts are when it comes to saving for retirement please share them below to be entered into a prize draw to win a £300 voucher of your choice (from a list).

Thanks and good luck

GNHQ

Terms and conditions apply

Charleygirl5 Fri 09-Nov-18 14:26:35

My savings and sale of my house will pay for my care home fees. If I peg it before then, quite a few charities will benefit but I will be able to pay my own way at least until the money runs out and probably by then I will not be caring who is paying my fees as I will be gaga.

My 35 year old nephew thought that he had years to think about saving for a pension but I have talked him into seriously saving, getting rid of all debt and thinking about pensions. He will not want to work until he is 90.

juliedee Fri 09-Nov-18 15:10:46

had a private pension at work, but having took early retirement, not been contributing, so not going to be as good as I hoped, but we intend to downsize and hopefully live off the rest.

fionajk42 Fri 09-Nov-18 17:31:19

I am sceptical about the phrase "empower women to take control of their pension". Rather than control, it seems what happens is that all market risks are now our problem, rather than the employer's or pension provider's. With interest rates so low and equity markets not delivering long term capital appreciation, our pension pots are likely to fail to grow sufficiently to compensate for the loss of defined benefits. What was touted as "liberalisation" is in fact a massive con that has enriched no-one except the pension fund management.

lacy5488 Fri 09-Nov-18 20:40:46

My brother died Monday without a will and as we were not a close family I have no idea as to what pensions or savings or anything he had and it's made both myself and my partner realise that we really need to organise our future as you never know what going to happen, my brother was only 66... I just turned 50 this year, I have a civil service pension to come out but I'm not sure when and I have no idea if I had a pension from my first job on leaving school, I think these kinds of life planning should be taught in schools so they can start to understand why a pension is necessary and how to get the best out of one...

kayt Sat 10-Nov-18 06:13:25

I will only get my state pension at 67 so putting a little money away now is very important !

wh1tew1ne Sat 10-Nov-18 06:39:29

I have worked at the same place since I was 18 and have had a pension since I started. I am so looking forward to retiring now although I could in fact have 20 years yet. I really don't know what the pension will be worth but I doubt it will be enough to live on.

emmal01 Sat 10-Nov-18 07:55:29

I’ve always paid into a works pension thankfully

Yaracuy Sat 10-Nov-18 08:06:14

I have my pension and pension credit very much at heart and fear that Brexit will shorten it or get rid of it totally. Truly live in fear.

tintoys Sat 10-Nov-18 08:18:41

I retired 2 yrs ago but the real panic sets in when your partner retires , suddenly every penny counts and its very hard to get realistic estimates of what you might get. So we decided to augment our pension by putting 1k a month into premium bonds and going without for 2 years , and we now have a nest egg of £32k . I wouldnt suggest everyone does that but if you regularly save early enough and dont touch it retirement will be easier , I have Power of Attorney for an 80 yr old and I have to monitor the account nearly every day to keep everything paid andin the black

cinders59 Sat 10-Nov-18 08:25:53

We started saving 15 years ago, little amounts into Isa's when the interest rate was 4%, my husband does a lot of overtime and pays extra into his pension

carol2712 Sat 10-Nov-18 08:47:01

I joined a pension scheme at 21 and when I have changed my job have made sure that I have either transferred it over or started another so now I receive four payments a month some not so big but every penny helps, when I worked overtime or had a bonus I put 10% of it away in savings like premium bonds which if lucky would increase. I do think that learning to handle money at an early age helps for later life I was encouraged to save from my pocket money and I have done the same with my daughter who has been able to save enough for a deposit on her own home and join the works pension plan even on a very low wage.

ChocolateCake1 Sat 10-Nov-18 08:52:16

I think saving for retirement is very important. Retirement is an exciting new chapter in your life and having enough money to enjoy it is something we should think about early on. It’s never too late to save for a retirement fund.

Brownsgirl Sat 10-Nov-18 09:26:51

Still working at 63. Never dreamed I would be working when started work at 15. Have little pension and some savings . Worked abroad for 24 years and most of that part time only paying into state pension. Came home to care for father till he died and didn’t work . Remained in uk and have worked since. Divorced . No pension from him.... I supported him through my marriage and he didn’t get a proper job till I left and came home to uk. I pay rent a flat so have no house or flat to call my own. One son who is married with kids and doesn’t live in the uk . I absolutely dread retiring as I certainly will not have enough of a pension .

Grannyjacq1 Sat 10-Nov-18 09:29:53

I was fortunate to have a teacher's pension, but, even so, as a mother I spent 7 years at home when my children were young, and also worked part-time for several years, so didn't manage to build up a full pension. Also, being born in 1952, I missed out on some of my state pension too, having to wait until I was about 63, I think. So yes, I do think women have the 'short straw' when it comes to pensions. It is so important to start saving as early as possible if you want to have a comfortable retirement. My husband had to take early retirement at 50 because of a serious illness, and this is something we hadn't reckoned on. I think many young people today just seem to live for the moment, and don't consider saving for the future. A big mistake.

Helsbells68 Sat 10-Nov-18 09:31:20

Due to illness we are having to wing it and hope that the state pension will be enough

sophie56 Sat 10-Nov-18 09:34:50

I was a single parent with sole responsibility for my son. I never took benefits so had to work all hours at low paid jobs in order to support us. After basic living expenses, mortgage etc there was nothing left. I am not talking about after eating out, holidays etc for we didn't have any. I have always felt frustrated when advised to save for retirement and there is never any acknowledgement that many people are working as hard as they can and do not fritter but still have nothing left to invest.

hdh74 Sat 10-Nov-18 09:45:21

Ill health and disability has stopped me saving for retirement, so there's not much I can do about it.

goose1964 Sat 10-Nov-18 09:45:41

I'm lucky that I have a good occupational pension and equity in a large house plus inheritance due, again mainly from parent's house bought cheap & worth lots.

MY kids however have the double whammy of low wages and high rents, there's no way they'll be able to save beyond workplace pensions and as jobs are no longer for life they may not get the better return on longer pensions

cuppatea Sat 10-Nov-18 09:46:46

DH and I decided very early on that our aim was to retire early -we therefore increased pension contributions and overpaid our mortgage, with the aim of being mortgage free before retirement. However, I accept that we are lucky that we had a good works pension, and we were both reasonably well paid. I would not want to be relying on my state pension

marpau Sat 10-Nov-18 09:47:24

I have an employer's pension and also saved from age 30 it was not easy especially when children were at uni. However going without some things during this time enabled me to retire at 55 when my grandson was born with cerebral palsy. I look at others I envied who had larger houses and cars but are now still working and cannot retire for some years to come and am happy with my decision.

debskeay Sat 10-Nov-18 09:58:50

I think its very hard to even survive let alone think of saving for retirement these days.

falconer Sat 10-Nov-18 10:06:38

Saving for one's retirement can be so difficult. The trick is that, when you do get a windfall, don't splash it out to celebrate. That's what you should be saving for an enjoyable retirement.

quizqueen Sat 10-Nov-18 10:09:20

I thought I could look forward to having a comfortable retirement then got unexpectedly divorced! I accepted a clean break settlement and kept the house and he took his pension so I am asset rich but cash poor. We had previously decided, as a family, that I would be a 'stay at home mum' so I didn't have enough years of NI for a full state pension. I did manage to build up some savings after my separation by working several jobs at the same time when the children were teenagers so then couldn't claim any benefits from the state so I still now continue to work a bit past state retirement age to give me enough to get by.

However, now approaching 70 and finding it harder to continue working, I am spending most of my savings on house improvements. Hopefully, this will allow me to still continue living there in my dotage so I will try and claim pension credit and pay no council tax soon then I can just about manage as I live frugally. It is very wrong that workers and savers are penalised while those who don't bother to try and provide for themselves get a lot of state help especially when there is almost zero % of interest nowadays.... something else I was relying on to help me in retirement!! I will also do all I can to prevent the state taking my house in care fees if that need arises.

petitfleur1 Sat 10-Nov-18 10:19:07

It has been very difficult for me - now retired. Did get a small works pension which helps as the state pension isn't enough to run a car etc. Also to add my children couldn't go to uni so stayed at home until they left to get married, that added a lot to my finances. They are very poorly paid now so are not saving - what can I do to help? I am just surviving in sheltered accomodation for which I am extrememly grateful. It seems that my family finances are to repeat themselves. I was on my own most of this time.

Molly10 Sat 10-Nov-18 10:55:21

There have been major changes to pensions in recent years and it has never been more important for young people starting their working lives to be in a pension scheme. The onus is on parents, guardians and employers to reiterate this important fact . This will enable them to have decent finance for their later years when public funds may have further diminished and they could be relying mostly on their saved pensions.