Gransnet forums

Sponsored discussions

Please note: This topic is for discussions paid for by Gransnet clients. If you'd like to have your own paid for discussion thread, please feel free to mail us at [email protected]. If you are a journalist, start-up or student and you want to request feedback from gransnetters, please post in Media Requests.

What advice would you give to your younger self? Share with Legal & General - NOW CLOSED

(624 Posts)
EllieGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 04-Feb-19 14:42:13

We’ve all been asked this question at some point. Our answers can vary from ‘I wish I’d taken more risks’ or ‘I would have stopped caring about what people think’, to ‘I wish I’d had more fun’ or ‘I wish I’d travelled the world more’. But if you really think about it, what practical advice would you have really benefited from when you were younger? What would you have told your younger self? What would you have done differently? A recent survey carried out across Mumsnet and Gransnet revealed that some Gransnet users consciously put off financial decisions. Is going further with your finances something you might have given more consideration to, with the benefit of hindsight? Whatever advice you’d like to give to your younger self, Legal & General would love to know.

Here’s what Legal & General have to say: “On our savings journey, a nudge in the right direction can make the world of difference when it comes to our financial futures. It’s starting off early, saving little and often over a longer period, that can really pay off*. Although it’s never too late to start saving, what tips and guidance would have motivated you to do more with your money and just get started?”

Would you have taken more risks when you were younger? Is there any information you wish you would have known back then, such as how to save into your pension, how to invest your money or even how to save your money from an earlier age? Would you like to tell your younger self to be more confident in the decisions you make? Or perhaps you wish you’d spent more time with friends and family?

Whatever the advice you would like to give to your younger self, post them on the thread below and everyone who does will be entered into a prize draw where one GNer will win a £300 voucher of their choice (from a list).*

Thanks and good luck with the prize draw
GNHQ

Standard Insight T&Cs Apply

*Open 4/02/19 to 25/02/19. To enter please post on the thread below. One entry per person. One prize to be won: £300 voucher of winner’s choice (from a list). Winner chosen by random draw performed by computer process.

*The value of your investments can fall as well as rise and any income from them is not guaranteed. Legal & General Unit Trust Managers Limited.

cathwarbur Tue 19-Nov-19 22:04:40

I met my husband the old fashioned way, through my brother.I would not trust dating apps as I have heard a couple of horror stories and that has cetainly put me off for good

paintingthetownred Tue 08-Oct-19 09:49:55

Don't feel as if you need to get married. Never, ever share a bank account with anyone. You may find yourself single, but there are advantages to this.

mickaul747 Thu 12-Sep-19 08:47:00

Do Not Start Smoking!

annierich Wed 21-Aug-19 12:36:56

Make sure you contribute as much as you comfortably can to your pension so that you can enjoy your retirement.

Carol1948 Tue 13-Aug-19 17:29:36

I would tell myself to save into a pension as soon as I start work as now that I am retired I realised that it would be lovely to have a regular income each month

moleswife Fri 28-Jun-19 12:22:59

Don't feel so despondent about being so hard up - things will change and when they do you will enjoy life more - then later changes will make you realise money isn't everything!

JulesC4 Fri 28-Jun-19 03:43:18

I would have had the confidence to pursue a career in acting and not worried about what my Mum or Dad thought about it. I'm now 56 years old and still haven't given up the idea of being an Extra, but my health problems are hampering that course of action at the moment.

Morgie52 Wed 26-Jun-19 09:46:48

Definitely be more strong willed and not let people put me down.

granmummy Mon 29-Apr-19 13:05:34

Don't stress so much about your hair. And don't spend all your time at the pub. Neither will be of any interest when your older. And please yourself when choosing a career and just follow your dreams

Jaxgreen74 Tue 12-Mar-19 18:00:35

Not to buy stuff that won’t last, like cheap furniture, better to buy forever items. Spend money on experiences.
Save and invest more for the future.
Study and get a career as soon as possible instead of doing jobs with low pay and satisfaction.
Enjoy the moment and don’t sweat the bad stuff everything passes.

live7 Mon 11-Mar-19 17:22:23

To not be so worried about saving for the future that you miss out on life today.

theresacoo Tue 26-Feb-19 17:00:42

what ever your dream is, chase it now because as time passes, it gets harder and harder to just go for it.

sheridarby Tue 26-Feb-19 14:49:48

Believe in yourself you can do anything you want to

kookyboo Tue 26-Feb-19 11:30:07

I dont think i would give myself any advice, everything I did led me to where I am now, with a wonderful man and very happy, if i had done anything different I wouldnt be who or where i am today x ( ok i would add DO NOT drink that much Malibu on your 21st birthday!)

island Tue 26-Feb-19 11:17:21

Should have listened to husband more regarding money matter.

shyfly1970 Tue 26-Feb-19 09:49:29

Listen to my parents wise advice. They had already lived their lives so knew so much more than me. I wouldn't of made half the mistakes I made if I had done this one thing.

Dolphinate Tue 26-Feb-19 09:22:22

I would have made myself more financially aware, having some help with how to handle finances, bills, wages,running a home would have had a massive impact when I was in my early teens,

1inamillion Tue 26-Feb-19 08:30:13

Don't take out an endowment mortgage, ours left us with a shortfall of £3,000
Pay as much into your pension as you can afford.
Always save,no matter how little. We had a 'diddlums'at work, it was a godsend at Christmas.
As my Mam always said - you can have whatever you want as long as you have the money to pay for it.

sue55 Mon 25-Feb-19 23:15:20

Be more confident in yourself and your decisions and be more selfish - spend time and money on yourself as well as others - you deserve it!

pandad Mon 25-Feb-19 22:24:05

Trust your instincts and don't doubt yourself!!!

athenacarina Mon 25-Feb-19 21:35:08

Don't be so critical of yourself-Just because you are slim and others think you need to eat more, (when you ate more than them anyway!), you looked good. They were, and actually still are, jealous. Be more confident! And try not to get the norovirus, (twice), because that's going to be your downfall. Oh....if only I had a flux capacitor!

Tasha7 Mon 25-Feb-19 21:08:55

Be more selfish and practical, don't waste time with looses. Spend more time with your Mum.

Fairlyodd77 Mon 25-Feb-19 21:07:50

I would tell myself that I'm not worthless and not think listen to the people that said I was.

ItsGreatBeingAGran Mon 25-Feb-19 21:03:28

Don't worry about what others think of you and don't think you'll be left "on the shelf".

SwiftShark Mon 25-Feb-19 20:43:32

Buy a house earlier and move up the chain so you don't get trapped in an unsuitable property.