Gransnet forums

Sponsored discussions

Please note: This topic is for discussions paid for by Gransnet clients. If you'd like to have your own paid for discussion thread, please feel free to mail us at [email protected]. If you are a journalist, start-up or student and you want to request feedback from gransnetters, please post in Media Requests.

What advice would you give to your younger self? Share with Legal & General - NOW CLOSED

(624 Posts)
EllieGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 04-Feb-19 14:42:13

We’ve all been asked this question at some point. Our answers can vary from ‘I wish I’d taken more risks’ or ‘I would have stopped caring about what people think’, to ‘I wish I’d had more fun’ or ‘I wish I’d travelled the world more’. But if you really think about it, what practical advice would you have really benefited from when you were younger? What would you have told your younger self? What would you have done differently? A recent survey carried out across Mumsnet and Gransnet revealed that some Gransnet users consciously put off financial decisions. Is going further with your finances something you might have given more consideration to, with the benefit of hindsight? Whatever advice you’d like to give to your younger self, Legal & General would love to know.

Here’s what Legal & General have to say: “On our savings journey, a nudge in the right direction can make the world of difference when it comes to our financial futures. It’s starting off early, saving little and often over a longer period, that can really pay off*. Although it’s never too late to start saving, what tips and guidance would have motivated you to do more with your money and just get started?”

Would you have taken more risks when you were younger? Is there any information you wish you would have known back then, such as how to save into your pension, how to invest your money or even how to save your money from an earlier age? Would you like to tell your younger self to be more confident in the decisions you make? Or perhaps you wish you’d spent more time with friends and family?

Whatever the advice you would like to give to your younger self, post them on the thread below and everyone who does will be entered into a prize draw where one GNer will win a £300 voucher of their choice (from a list).*

Thanks and good luck with the prize draw
GNHQ

Standard Insight T&Cs Apply

*Open 4/02/19 to 25/02/19. To enter please post on the thread below. One entry per person. One prize to be won: £300 voucher of winner’s choice (from a list). Winner chosen by random draw performed by computer process.

*The value of your investments can fall as well as rise and any income from them is not guaranteed. Legal & General Unit Trust Managers Limited.

snare Mon 25-Feb-19 06:47:55

Believe in yourself smile

Silverdarling Mon 25-Feb-19 08:05:39

Stop worrying about what other people think! If it feels right for you DO it.

glaswegian Mon 25-Feb-19 09:32:39

i wish it was as it is now and you had to be in a pension scheme back in my early days you did not have too, if i had then i would be on a great pension

pixelwife Mon 25-Feb-19 09:59:35

I'd definitely tell my younger self to worry less. So many of the things I've lost sleep over have never even happened and those that have, haven't been insurmountable problems!

Ruthy45 Mon 25-Feb-19 10:03:20

To be less critical of myself and give myself more compassion instead of always trying to please others.

molly57 Mon 25-Feb-19 10:55:16

Do things at the time and not leave them until later because it could be too late!

noynoyavery Mon 25-Feb-19 11:06:11

I wish I had saved up and gone on a world wide trip before children, even though I was trying for 8 years , I just didn't book any holidays incase I was expecting, Daft now thinking about it, I wish I could have looked into the future and seen .

angela121262 Mon 25-Feb-19 11:16:13

Go with your instinct as far as your career goes, do not settle for second best and follow your dreams.

lisapop Mon 25-Feb-19 13:35:57

I was so eager to spend, spend spend . I'd tell my younger self to save more.

Squina Mon 25-Feb-19 14:10:56

Don't sweat the small stuff. Everything pales into insignificance as you get older.

jacqroberts Mon 25-Feb-19 14:12:50

To not fall out with my Mum my biggest regret ever.

tishist Mon 25-Feb-19 15:36:44

I'd definitely be more assertive - not with people, but my decisions

reenu Mon 25-Feb-19 15:47:12

I would tell to my younger self that save money...a little goes a long way!!

Blondie82 Mon 25-Feb-19 15:49:56

Be more sociable

dobbers Mon 25-Feb-19 16:20:02

I would have told myself to join the company pension scheme as the rewards later on in life are worth doing it.

adwin57 Mon 25-Feb-19 16:22:39

go with your gut instinct and you will be right. follow your dreams and not others opinions.

kelliec Mon 25-Feb-19 16:49:01

Impractical - Life's too short to wear bodysuits!

Practical - yes it would have been a good idea to buy your student house and rent out the rooms instead of paying rent. You should always trust your instinct!

tonycarbone Mon 25-Feb-19 17:39:07

Take your chances at the first opportunity. You might not get another one!

SOPHIANA79 Mon 25-Feb-19 17:41:09

To open a bank account and put money in per week no matter how large or small and never touch for at least ten years

tbrookshaw Mon 25-Feb-19 19:25:48

Live life to the full, spend time with your friends and family

akas Mon 25-Feb-19 20:09:31

Don't apply for that credit card and avoid chocolate

cathryn1 Mon 25-Feb-19 20:30:01

always believe in yourself

Emmamaryd Mon 25-Feb-19 20:36:40

Enjoy being young!

SwiftShark Mon 25-Feb-19 20:43:32

Buy a house earlier and move up the chain so you don't get trapped in an unsuitable property.

ItsGreatBeingAGran Mon 25-Feb-19 21:03:28

Don't worry about what others think of you and don't think you'll be left "on the shelf".