Gransnet forums

Sponsored discussions

Please note: This topic is for discussions paid for by Gransnet clients. If you'd like to have your own paid for discussion thread, please feel free to mail us at [email protected]. If you are a journalist, start-up or student and you want to request feedback from gransnetters, please post in Media Requests.

What does a colourful retirement look like to you? Share your plans or experiences of retirement with Legal and General - £300 voucher to be won AND chance to win a £200 voucher!

(198 Posts)
AbbiCGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 12-Jul-19 15:36:49

This activity has now closed

For a lot of people, retirement is an opportunity to embark on new adventures, and to grow as a person. It’s an opportunity to pursue activities and hobbies that you’ve always wanted but never had time to, and to focus on the areas of life that fulfil and excite you.
We know that retirement can be full of colour and exploration, which is why Legal & General would love to hear your plans for when you retire, or your experiences if you’ve already retired.

Here’s what Legal and General have to say;
We’re delighted that Gransnet is supporting our national campaign to change the way retirement is depicted in advertising. Our customers have told us they don’t feel the images they see in ads or campaigns really represent their lives. Retirement has changed, no longer the dolling out of carriage clocks and twilight walks on the beach - it’s a far more vibrant and varied journey and we want Gransnet members to help us show just how colourful retirement can be!

Do you have exciting plans for retirement? Maybe you’re going to travel around the world - or maybe you’ve already have? Has your retirement inspired you to pursue something new? If so, what was it, and how did it enrich your life?

Whichever ways you plan to make your retirement colourful, post on the thread below and all who do so will be entered into a prize draw where 1 GNer will win a £300 voucher of their choice (from a list).
If you’ve got a picture to accompany your post, please share that too!

Legal & General would also love you to take part in their on-site photo competition, where you can share pictures of what a colourful retirement looks like for you, and be in with a chance of winning £200!

Thanks and good luck!
GNHQ

Insight Terms and Conditions Apply

ricola Thu 18-Jul-19 09:37:43

Not worrying if there's a queue because we have all the time in the world!

hawkeye Thu 18-Jul-19 10:02:13

I want to spend all the time with my family that I can and also travel as much as possible before I get too old!

smitholivia566 Thu 18-Jul-19 10:06:43

I'm just looking forward to holidays and spending more time with my partner.

hugshelp Thu 18-Jul-19 10:49:55

Despite it being a supposed cliche, I plan to spend a lot of time knitting. And crocheting. It's far from an old-fogey pastime these days, crafting is very popular and I plan to work on writing my own patterns and have a few other related ideas up my sleeve.

I hope to improve my photography and work on new recipes and baking techniques as well as see as much of the world as our health and finances will permit.

DH is semi-retired now, he enjoys working part-time, and I enjoy a bit of me time while he does. We were discussing just recently how we would handle things if he fully retires and I suggested he does more helping out with the chores so we both have more free time and more time off with his brother fishing while I do my thing. This was well received.

I don't see why people should feel restrained by their age, if their health permits, but neither do I think they should be obliged to 'bravely go where no OAP has been before' if they are quite happy pottering in the shed. Whatever makes each of us happy.

maryandbuzz1 Thu 18-Jul-19 10:55:56

My colourful retirement has already started. We have had many exciting and interesting travelling experiences most recently in China.
We love exploring rich and interesting cultures, visiting historical and religious sites and experiencing exotic wildlife. On our last holiday my husband sent a photographic and video diary to his large family so they could experience it with us.

Molly10 Thu 18-Jul-19 11:11:37

Excellent post MOnica.

Retirement is a time to enjoy what you want when you want. Explore new avenues, create new ventures for your life without the time restrictions of trying to fit things in to a working schedule or omitting them because you are too tired.

Enrich, explore and enjoy.

mo3733 Thu 18-Jul-19 11:42:06

being financially sound and being able to travel whereever and whenever i want

sunshine57 Thu 18-Jul-19 12:07:40

I live in the Canary Islands.We moved here when we retired having sold up in the UK.We then set about buying land and building a house- a big project but we got there in the end.
During the time we have lived here, I have had breast cancer twice with a double mastectomy.But we soldier on and the sun keeps us cheerful better than being tied to a work timetable as I was when I was a teacher in the UK. Glad to leave it all behind especially the paperwork and the bells ringing which governed my day.

All the best to everyone and follow your dream if you can.

TammyChernelle Thu 18-Jul-19 12:11:13

a colourful retirement for me is seeing the full world in colour! Would love to travel a lot a world cruise would be the dream to see see the green palm trees of south east asia, the orange spices of india and the colourful feathers of south american birds.

kamoc Thu 18-Jul-19 12:25:44

I look very much forward to travelling more

sscrase Thu 18-Jul-19 12:26:56

I would love to just be able to live the same life I do now but without the work element. I think it's achievable, I don't need anything too fancy.

sheebasima Thu 18-Jul-19 12:43:55

I don't know what to say, your blog is amazing.

chris8888 Thu 18-Jul-19 12:44:36

I plan on being an OAP budget traveller! My favourite pastime at the moment is checking out `official tours` and seeing how much less they cost doing them independently.
I do not intend to be a drain on my children, nor do I intend to clock watch until they visit. Money will be a problem, as with a lot of people in my generation. I dont have a partner but I do have family and friends. Roll on retirement.

LOU1ASH1 Thu 18-Jul-19 12:55:01

Post was about volunteering for Age UK was perfect.

sophie56 Thu 18-Jul-19 13:36:30

I would like to say I travel around the world with a backpack on my own, scuba dive, volunteer to help protect rain forests and ski off piste but I'd be lying - far too much of a wimp! However I love to explore the world and human nature, philosophy etc through books and discussions with friends. We love to discuss how to develop a new relationship with grown up children (why isn't their a word for grown up children?) especially sons and how to shut our gobs when we are tempted to pass comment on how they parent.

I love walking my dog and exploring the world through the excited eyes of grandchildren.

My son is very into effective altruism which has opened my eyes to a whole new way to help others in the world.

Just off for a bungee jumpsmile

Jabba Thu 18-Jul-19 13:39:17

My chief hope is that when I am officially retired society will acknowledge me as the same vibrant, intelligent, technologically savvy individual that I am now.

caocao Thu 18-Jul-19 13:46:17

I don't know about a colourful retirement - I'd just like to be able to retire while I'm still healthy enough to enjoy life!

Olive1820 Thu 18-Jul-19 13:49:17

Just to have my health and a little money for treats, would be good.

xsophiefx Thu 18-Jul-19 14:05:28

I plan on spending my days enjoying time with my husband, kids and grandkids. Going on cruises and enjoying the sunshine in the garden during the day!

sezz35sezz35 Thu 18-Jul-19 14:27:04

I will be happy if I ever get to retire....the way things are going I will be 80 before I can!

M00se Thu 18-Jul-19 15:01:06

There are lots of things that we wish to do (mainly travel for me), but the question is whether we will be able to do them. Either because of the cost implications or health issues.
I hope for a long and happy retirement. Fingers crossed.

yevmo31 Thu 18-Jul-19 15:29:26

My grandchildren bring all the colour to my life, cannot wait for lots of theme park trips with my gorgeous lol

JoJoY Thu 18-Jul-19 16:03:37

I want to tick off all of my bucket list holidays, I've already started before retirement though lol

elizab Thu 18-Jul-19 16:21:12

i plan to travel as much of the uk as i can, id love to get a campervan and spend long weekends away with the hubby and the dogs!

heavensjoys Thu 18-Jul-19 16:33:55

The colours of our retirement rainbow are with us all the time, when our Grandchildren fall into our arms whenever we see them.