Gransnet forums

Sponsored discussions

Please note: This topic is for discussions paid for by Gransnet clients. If you'd like to have your own paid for discussion thread, please feel free to mail us at [email protected]. If you are a journalist, start-up or student and you want to request feedback from gransnetters, please post in Media Requests.

What does a colourful retirement look like to you? Share your plans or experiences of retirement with Legal and General - £300 voucher to be won AND chance to win a £200 voucher!

(198 Posts)
AbbiCGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 12-Jul-19 15:36:49

This activity has now closed

For a lot of people, retirement is an opportunity to embark on new adventures, and to grow as a person. It’s an opportunity to pursue activities and hobbies that you’ve always wanted but never had time to, and to focus on the areas of life that fulfil and excite you.
We know that retirement can be full of colour and exploration, which is why Legal & General would love to hear your plans for when you retire, or your experiences if you’ve already retired.

Here’s what Legal and General have to say;
We’re delighted that Gransnet is supporting our national campaign to change the way retirement is depicted in advertising. Our customers have told us they don’t feel the images they see in ads or campaigns really represent their lives. Retirement has changed, no longer the dolling out of carriage clocks and twilight walks on the beach - it’s a far more vibrant and varied journey and we want Gransnet members to help us show just how colourful retirement can be!

Do you have exciting plans for retirement? Maybe you’re going to travel around the world - or maybe you’ve already have? Has your retirement inspired you to pursue something new? If so, what was it, and how did it enrich your life?

Whichever ways you plan to make your retirement colourful, post on the thread below and all who do so will be entered into a prize draw where 1 GNer will win a £300 voucher of their choice (from a list).
If you’ve got a picture to accompany your post, please share that too!

Legal & General would also love you to take part in their on-site photo competition, where you can share pictures of what a colourful retirement looks like for you, and be in with a chance of winning £200!

Thanks and good luck!
GNHQ

Insight Terms and Conditions Apply

bobble5366 Wed 24-Jul-19 10:52:32

A colourful retirement is waking up feeling free, both financially and in body and mind. I paid extra into my pension from the age of 40, and was able to take early retirement at the age of 55. My DH retired last year (which took a lot of coming to terms to) We have our own circle of friends, hobbies and we holiday separately and together. We bought a houseboat last September - it's colourful inside and out, After spending time and money on it, and making it our little home from home, getting all of the paperwork and safety certificates in order, we will spend August and September 'cruising the cut' around this beautiful country we live in - but do not always notice.

angiehoggett Wed 24-Jul-19 12:33:31

I'd love to travel but it all depends on the situation I'm in when I retire!

travelsafar Wed 24-Jul-19 13:31:43

Since retiring i have been to Rome and India and am currently planning my next trip to India, wanting to go to Shiimla and elepfantasia whilst there this time. Also doing the golden triangle again as my SIL has never been and you cant not see the Taj Mahal when in India. I also have joined local groups,one at the library and I play bowls and whist.I do knitting at a knit and natter group too.I have plenty of days out to various stately homes, and historical towns. Ive enjoyed a trip to Bakewell and Yorkshire too. Family are also very important and plenty of time spent with them. My garden is looking good as it has more time spent on it and the housework is kept to the minimum but it;s always clean and tidy. I did do running three a week and then aerobics, but i have developed issues with my back and one leg so this restricts my energy and mobility.I still walk as much as i can just dont do any other exercise unless i go to the outdoor pool for a swim. I love being retired, visiting friends and doing what ever takes my fancy.

travelsafar Wed 24-Jul-19 13:32:27

Oh i forgot to say joining Gransnet as well. smile

mummyfeo Wed 24-Jul-19 19:40:58

Retirement for me means no more working and time to spend with my family and to travel. I can't wait to see Japan and Australia.

avery64 Wed 24-Jul-19 21:35:54

10 years at Christmas since I retired from a very satisfying career in teaching with hubby being retired for the last 7 years. Before then we were like ships that passed in the night juggling careers and raising a family. Both fulfilling but exhausting. Our retirement has proved to be both too but a bit lees hectic and we love spending most of our time together. We exchanged our caravan for a campervan and tour the UK all year round enjoying lots of walking and cycling when pitched. When we are at home we do a daily gym and swim session and at 71 we are both fitter, healthier and happier than we have ever been. When I first started teaching age 21 my Dad gave me a piece of advice about not just relying on my pension in old age . Consequently I saved something every month in addition to my pension. Sometimes only £5, occasionally £500. Over the years it built up a nest egg meaning that we are financially secure especially as our needs are few and our wants are even less. We have worked hard all our lives planning for this time but we do realise that there are many less fortunate than us who have not had the right guidance or the opportunities to plan ahead, nor indeed the good health we enjoy. We are so lucky and the icing on our Golden Wedding Anniversary cake next month are the many blessings our amazing children and grandchildren have brought us.

julsthomas Wed 24-Jul-19 21:44:34

Retirement means so many different things to people, of course what we achieve during retirement depends on when we retire and our health. Without health opportunities reduce and barriers are imposed.

I was lucky to take early retirement at 62 and I relish having time to travel, visit family and to enjoy hobbies that otherwise I just try and cram into my day, usually unsuccessfully.

In just over a year I have learnt to relax, pace myself and to please myself; all very important lessons. My family see more of me and I hope they feel thats for the good! I spend so much time crafting, baking and gardening my favourite hobbies and I feel very lucky to have time to do what I want to do after many years of juggling work, family and parental care.

The future? Well I intend to enjoy my time doing exactly what I want to and hopefully continuing to learn and keep healthy too!

ottypotty Thu 25-Jul-19 08:14:57

Retirement is ticking off my bucket list I made whilst working and mentally made when bringing up my family and the financial sacrifices this entails. I was never one for the beach hot hot hot holiday.

Mortgage paid off - tick
Regular pension income tick

I bought a half share in a caravan in Scotland with my brother and we go there several times a year - bliss.

I am looking into a houseboat to maybe move onto one - this is booked for September - we'll see.

I have been on a Scandinavian `cruise - stunning scenery.

I have been lucky enough to work for local government for 40 years and have a decent pension, and have the state pension to come when I reach the grand age of 67.

When your 'get up and go' comes into your life - don't let it go, embrace your financial freedom - the more you do, the more confident you are to do more and go further.

rejcomp Thu 25-Jul-19 12:38:20

a fatal heart attack at 63

lizm Thu 25-Jul-19 13:16:21

I want to use retirement to start a new business in photography, I can't wait...

angela121262 Thu 25-Jul-19 13:47:16

Being able to travel more, read more, be more adventurous in our choices of destinations, and relax in my home between short and long trips and gardening!

freyasday Thu 25-Jul-19 16:19:48

Not sure whether this thread is the L&G "tell us about your retirement competition" or a discussion about their ad at the top of the page, but I certainly agree we no longer dodder about!

When we retired, we started to explore Europe and had a great time visiting various countries and walking and kayaking (with husband cycling) in fantastic scenery.

Still at it, twelve years later but add my trike to the mix, now! Bought when my hip developed sudden and very painful arthritis to keep me mobile, it's become a great favourite even though the hip has now been replaced!

We travel all over the UK as well as going to Europe and I feel a bit of a celebrity these days because everyone stops me and wants to talk trike!

Add to this line dancing (energetic and strenuous) and writing novels, my life is full and busy. Sadly, we don't have grandchildreen but I do get to play with my son and partner's dog, even to the point of taking her round an agility course a couple of weeks ago!

And let's not forget the theatre trips, the satellite live shows at the local cinema and lunches out with friends.

No, I don't quite have the physical energy I used to have but my brain is full of things and I'm still learning, too!

sheridarby Thu 25-Jul-19 16:42:12

Retirement is the most fun ever, especially in London. So many free activities and outings, walks in parks and by rivers. We also embarked on a long term project of walking round the coast, but that has been somewhat thwarted by a badly broken ankle and major complications. But that just delays the project, we are determined to succeed

chirag12 Thu 25-Jul-19 17:34:05

Would be debt free and ticking off the lifetime bucket list

grannybiker Thu 25-Jul-19 20:12:44

We always planned to retire early so we could travel and enjoy life while we were still reasonably fit. We even bought the camper van ready, but we didn't reckon on bastard cancer crashing into our lives.
However, once the initial shock had subsided, (Slightly!) we set about cramming it all in even tighter. I refuse to say I'm dying of cancer. I'm living with it and living WELL! We've gone hot air-ballooning, been to the rugby world cup, seen some awesome bands live, booked a couple of holidays, oh and I'm going sky diving soon.
Not exactly how we planned it, but we're determined to make memories with friends and family during times I'm well.

abigailflo Thu 25-Jul-19 20:40:41

Our plans for retirement hopefully buying a place abroad in the sun to spend long winters there

oliveoyl72 Thu 25-Jul-19 21:07:29

I hope to be fit, active, and potty enough to still attend festivals in my dotage - to wear the most zany, colourful, flamboyant outfits, and show the young ones that fun has no age limit!!

dirtypop Thu 25-Jul-19 21:22:10

lots of travel to numerous places, enjoying the outdoors

baconbap Thu 25-Jul-19 22:29:29

being able to go on holidays with very little notice

JayJay1874 Thu 25-Jul-19 23:45:22

Family time and new experiences. There's lots to do but the priorities for me are there.

Overthehill5 Fri 26-Jul-19 06:37:14

Retirement is all about freedom and being out of the daily grind, but of course it depends on how your health is just live each day the best you can and enjoy the little things in life too!

hannahlw1985 Fri 26-Jul-19 06:54:45

For me I see myself going on trips and holidays to places I've never visited before, but also trying lots of new activities and taking on new hobbies. Definately want to make the most out of trying new things though me.

Bellroyd Fri 26-Jul-19 07:37:00

Paid off mortgage and downsized early, allowing us to retire 9 years earlier than we would have done. That has given us enough time to do lots of things we wanted to do whilst we are still young enough and fit enough to do them.

Also, the wonderful feeling that every day is our own to do what we want, without the daily drudgery of work - would recommend it to anyone.

cathryn1 Fri 26-Jul-19 07:49:32

learning new skills, enjoying new adventures and travel

snare Fri 26-Jul-19 09:28:32

I would love to travel in retirement. Not sure if this is feasible and imagine that I will have to work to do this