Gransnet forums

Sponsored discussions

Please note: This topic is for discussions paid for by Gransnet clients. If you'd like to have your own paid for discussion thread, please feel free to mail us at [email protected]. If you are a journalist, start-up or student and you want to request feedback from gransnetters, please post in Media Requests.

Share your experiences of having itchy or dry skin with Balneum - £300 voucher to be won!

(244 Posts)
AbbiCGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 16-Aug-19 11:38:28

This activity has now closed

With itchy, dry skin a day-to-day reality for lots of people, finding ways to relieve it becomes really important in making sure it doesn’t hold you back. Keeping it at bay and managing your skin is key, and with this in mind, Balneum would like to hear from you the ways that you deal with itchy dry skin.

Here’s what Balneum have to say: “We understand how distressing dry, itchy skin can be and how challenging it can be to find a skincare regime that works for you. Balneum dry skin and itch relief Lotion is created from soothing active ingredients such as urea and laureth-6.5, which help to hydrate and soothe skin. Easily absorbed, it’s proven to relieve the itch and is suitable for use with eczema and psoriasis prone skin”

What are your experiences with having itchy dry skin - does it hold you back at all? Or maybe you’ve found a way to overcome it? Do you have a specific skin care routine to help combat your dry/itchy skin? Have you found it hard finding a product that works? What is really important to you when choosing a product to relieve your itchy skin? Perhaps you’ve found support from your friends, family or online to help combat your itchy or dry skin? Or do you have any unusual tips or tricks in helping you relieve itchy dry skin?

Share your experiences of having itchy dry skin on the thread below all who do so will be entered into a prize draw where 1 GNer will win a £300 voucher of their choice (from a list).

Thanks and good luck!
GNHQ
Insight Terms and Conditions apply

sophie56 Sat 17-Aug-19 14:51:24

I had quite bad eczema as a child on my legs and like my mother I am having a very long menopause which has included a flare up of my eczema. I mainly get it on my hands and it can be very itchy and sore. When it is really bad I smear it with emollient and wear cotton gloves over night which helps. I am lucky that it rarely becomes unsightly.

sj3875 Sat 17-Aug-19 15:03:26

In shower moisturiser is a godsend! I only recently realised it was so good.

libra10 Sat 17-Aug-19 15:04:02

I started with a small patch of psoriasis on my elbow many years ago, and my GP prescribed various products including steroids. These helped to relieve the itch and reduced inflammation, but as soon as the course ended the itchiness returned.

Gradually through the years, other small patches have appeared, small areas of dry, itchy skin on my back and other areas. The patches don't show very much and haven't held me back, although they tend to itch especially when I get warm.

Occasionally I use emollients when bathing, and am currently using Aveeno to reduce redness and itching. There is also a Child's Farm baby product which became popular, but can't say that I have found anything which works very well.

gd Sat 17-Aug-19 16:16:07

I used Childs Farm moisturiser for my eczema

mo3733 Sat 17-Aug-19 16:17:56

having an underactive thyroid affects my skin in a negative way. Its so dry and itchy and uncomfortable. I find using an emolient in the bath helps but I do have to moisturise constantly throughout the day.

bindydog Sat 17-Aug-19 16:45:17

I have to take Tramadol for severe back pain....one of the side effect is itching on my back..... drives me mad sometimes.

Funkyferret Sat 17-Aug-19 17:28:55

I get dry and itchy skin, especially in summer and particularly on my legs and hands. I find a bath (not too hot) where the water has been run through a muslin bag of oats hung over the tap really helps. Also a really bland, unperfumed body lotion.

sweir1 Sat 17-Aug-19 17:58:46

I have had dry skin for the past 5 or 6 years. And water makes it so much worse meaning I have to use wipes to clean myself

lizd31 Sat 17-Aug-19 18:06:34

I developed Sjogren's Syndrome & a vitamin B12 deficiency a year & a half ago & have since had terrible skin problems, extremely dry cracked skin, eczema, psoriasic & atopic dermatitis so I hit the jackpot. My GP gave me a cream which made it 10 times worse as I also developed an allergy to chemicals so I've tried lots of things to get my skin right again. Organic extra virgin coconut oil & bathing my skin with green tea were my first efforts which really helped the itchiness & inflammation & eventually my skin calmed down & now I use an organic vitamin e cream which has really helped the dryness a lot

cinders59 Sat 17-Aug-19 18:30:35

I have eszema spots on arm and legs and I am always scratching them and picking them off, what is left behind is white patches on my skin. A nighmare

CHARLEY1 Sat 17-Aug-19 18:32:07

I never had dry itchy skin until in the last couple of years I have developed two patches on my hand and the top of my tummy. I have tried various creams but the only thing that seems to completely clear it is a steroid cream - I don't really like using steroids and apply the tiniest amount - unfortunately it always returns. The patches do improve in the sun although sun exposure gets lots of bad publicity I do let the sun get to these patches when I can

RachDayxx Sat 17-Aug-19 18:43:04

I’ve suffered for as long as I can remember. It can be very depressing during a break out, especially when it’s on your face. I generally suffer the most on my face and during the winter. I’m constantly searching for the THE product that will fix everything. It really effects your confidence.

Annak789 Sat 17-Aug-19 18:52:17

I get very dry skin on my feet
It cracks and can be very painful at times
I’ve found that coconut oil helps sometimes smile

hellywellyt Sat 17-Aug-19 19:38:31

I don't really suffer from it on a regular basis but find when I do just a bit more moisturizer works for me

Lisapaige24 Sat 17-Aug-19 19:46:03

I have extremely dry itchy skin that has in the past gotten extremely inflamed I have always used creams which were prescribed but have since discovered child’s farm products which has helped clear up my skin condition and made my life so much better

pennwood Sat 17-Aug-19 20:36:57

I only get an itchy back so I put that down to clothes washing products so have tried those suitable for babies which has improved things.

liz1970 Sat 17-Aug-19 21:03:33

I always use vaseline on my hands when they are dry.

vixxx666 Sat 17-Aug-19 21:10:17

I have really dry skin, excema and a form of dermatitis that is tiny painful blisters. The only hand cream I've found that works to stop my skin cracking is the Hemp hand cream from The Body Shop. I also make sure I buy moisturising handwash.
An unperfumed body lotion such as the Nivea 48 hour one is lovely for all over the body.

nettymay Sat 17-Aug-19 21:14:18

I put E45 on my christmas list the best so far for my dry itchy skin

freefan Sat 17-Aug-19 21:21:31

I need to use unpefumed products and have a moisturiser on prescription for my skin and face which is so lovely and rich and really helps my dry areas, especially my hands

Revolucion Sat 17-Aug-19 21:38:36

It’s worth getting vitamin D levels checked as this can make your skin itchy at night

pfcpompeysarah Sat 17-Aug-19 21:54:08

I have an overactive thyroid and sometimes suffer with dry and itchy skin on the back of my lower legs, it is agony and I have to use Cetraben cream to soothe it, as well as wear loose clothing so as not to irritate it further.

cathwarbur Sat 17-Aug-19 22:27:57

I have very dry flaky skin on one elbow, tried moisturisers but I think I need something specific to treat this area, it does get sore at times

Pumpkin2 Sat 17-Aug-19 22:36:08

I have combination skin, si parts can be very dry and other parts greasy

AuntDahlia Sat 17-Aug-19 23:31:04

I tend to suffer from an itchy back, luckily I have an obliging niece with long fingernails....