Gransnet forums

Sponsored discussions

Please note: This topic is for discussions paid for by Gransnet clients. If you'd like to have your own paid for discussion thread, please feel free to mail us at [email protected]. If you are a journalist, start-up or student and you want to request feedback from gransnetters, please post in Media Requests.

Share your experiences of having itchy or dry skin with Balneum - £300 voucher to be won!

(244 Posts)
AbbiCGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 16-Aug-19 11:38:28

This activity has now closed

With itchy, dry skin a day-to-day reality for lots of people, finding ways to relieve it becomes really important in making sure it doesn’t hold you back. Keeping it at bay and managing your skin is key, and with this in mind, Balneum would like to hear from you the ways that you deal with itchy dry skin.

Here’s what Balneum have to say: “We understand how distressing dry, itchy skin can be and how challenging it can be to find a skincare regime that works for you. Balneum dry skin and itch relief Lotion is created from soothing active ingredients such as urea and laureth-6.5, which help to hydrate and soothe skin. Easily absorbed, it’s proven to relieve the itch and is suitable for use with eczema and psoriasis prone skin”

What are your experiences with having itchy dry skin - does it hold you back at all? Or maybe you’ve found a way to overcome it? Do you have a specific skin care routine to help combat your dry/itchy skin? Have you found it hard finding a product that works? What is really important to you when choosing a product to relieve your itchy skin? Perhaps you’ve found support from your friends, family or online to help combat your itchy or dry skin? Or do you have any unusual tips or tricks in helping you relieve itchy dry skin?

Share your experiences of having itchy dry skin on the thread below all who do so will be entered into a prize draw where 1 GNer will win a £300 voucher of their choice (from a list).

Thanks and good luck!
GNHQ
Insight Terms and Conditions apply

granofone Fri 30-Aug-19 18:47:40

I have very dry skin but the skin on my elbows is very bad, if I forget to use plenty of E4 cream it itches so bad I scratch till it bleeds. I have recently set an alarm on my phone so I do not forget and I use a good unscented bath oil when I bathe

ptak5566 Fri 30-Aug-19 19:07:55

It is my hands that suffer, they are always dry even during the summer but in the winter they get very sore and red. I use E45 cream and sudocrem when they are really sore.

abigailflo Fri 30-Aug-19 19:56:38

I have very sensitive skin and have to use unperfumed natural skincare products to keep this under control

Susiewusie100 Fri 30-Aug-19 21:16:39

I have the worst itchy skin ever! cold flannels, aveeno and not shaving are my only tips :-(

Borderkitt Sat 31-Aug-19 00:29:56

I had suffered with dry skin for years on my arms, a friend recommended coconut oil to me, I was amazed, my dry skin cleared up straight away

michael888 Sat 31-Aug-19 02:18:41

I've had problem skin for many years and have seen several dermatologists. I have a routine now which is working for me: I use a special wash in the shower and then apply an emollient as soon as I get out. If necessary, I use a steroid cream. When my skin is very problematic, I might need to apply an emollient several times a day.

kay177 Sat 31-Aug-19 06:41:54

Get itchy dry skin when wear good jewellery, but cream helps.

leanfun Sat 31-Aug-19 09:53:24

Around my ankles often have dried skin but not itchy. E45 helps.

DDP91 Sat 31-Aug-19 14:08:27

I have a very dry forehead which seems worse in winter I usually use moisturiser on it and it helps, but when it’s hot or I have heating on my fingers get really itchy and I scratch until it bleeds but running them under cold water usually helps

grannybiker Sat 31-Aug-19 15:59:43

I've always had sensitive skin, so have always used gentler products.
However, one of the drugs I need to take had the side effect of intense itching. We've tried so many lotions, pills and potions, homeopathic and complementary therapies all with little change. Some of the lotions, (Balneum plus is one,) help for a while, but the best thing seems to be cool gel packs from the freezer.

Piggypoo Sat 31-Aug-19 16:35:22

I always get itchy skin at the back of my neck, under my hair, about 2 days after having my hair coloured, the best thing I find, is simply just to use Vaseline, I rub it in about 4 times a day, and it's the only thing that clears it up. I also take an antihistamine tablet too.

lorrainej162 Sat 31-Aug-19 18:45:18

E45 keeps my skin happy

Dannirose Sat 31-Aug-19 19:00:46

I have had eczema since I was a child. It used to be quite bad and the only thing to soothe it was prescription steroid cream. As an adult it is much better and I only rarely get a flare up, I always have the steroid cream handy just in case. Also I use non-bio washing powder as bio irritates my skin.

faybelle Sat 31-Aug-19 19:41:38

My hands are always dry, and sometimes get itchy skin with no dryness use handcream, E45 and antihistamines mostly, blame feeling itchy on the menopause ?

sandian Sat 31-Aug-19 19:51:01

Had to use an unperformed moisturiser to keep my skin from cracking after Radiotherapy, the best I have found is E45.

sandrab Sat 31-Aug-19 20:39:32

I've got very dry skin. I'm also allergic to Cocamidopropyl Betaine & Lanolin, both of which can be found in moisturising products. I find Diprobase very good. I also avoid having hot showers & baths.

poshpaws Sat 31-Aug-19 20:46:12

I have dreadful eczema in my ears and on my eyebrows, but find applying a prescription drug - Eumovate - clears it completely for days at a time.

AbbiCGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 02-Sep-19 10:01:42

Thanks for all your tips, and congratulations to @CHIiNTZ for winning the voucher!