Gransnet forums

Sponsored discussions

Please note: This topic is for discussions paid for by Gransnet clients. If you'd like to have your own paid for discussion thread, please feel free to mail us at [email protected]. If you are a journalist, start-up or student and you want to request feedback from gransnetters, please post in Media Requests.

Let’s talk about cruise travel with NCL - £300 voucher to be won

(450 Posts)
YanaGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 20-Aug-19 10:05:48

Cruise holidays can be an ideal option for those who love a care-free holiday, visiting new cities or having different scenery every day without the hassle of unpacking more than once. Whether you’ve been on a cruise or not, Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL) would like to hear your thoughts. If you’re an experienced cruise-goer they’d love to hear your top tips, and what you wish you'd known before your first cruise. And, if you’ve never been on a cruise, they would also like to find out what you would find helpful before going on a holiday at sea.

Here’s what NCL has to say: “New to cruising? Not sure what to expect? Look no further – this handy guide tells you everything you need to know about holidays at sea. From accommodation choices to entertainment, what to pack and what to do on board, we’ve demystified cruising and you’ll discover why it really is the perfect holiday choice for everyone.”

So what are your tips and tricks when selecting a cruise holiday and how do you make sure it is an enjoyable experience? What are your expectations of a cruise holiday and what are the must-haves on board you can’t go without? How do you prepare and what do you pack for a cruise? How can cruise companies make it your perfect holiday at sea?

If you haven’t travelled on a cruise, what would tempt you to do so? What have you heard about cruises that you would like to understand more about? Now is the time to indulge in your curiosity of cruise holidays.

Please share your views on cruise holidays and you will be entered into a prize draw where one GNer will win a £300 voucher for a store of your choice (from a list).

Thanks and good luck!
GNHQ
Terms and conditions apply

happysouls Wed 21-Aug-19 09:01:09

I love all the destinations and tours, it would be a great way to see a massive amount. However I am not a people person and I would never go on a cruise because of being among so many people. My idea of a perfect holiday is a camp site off season where there is hardly anyone around!

M0nica Wed 21-Aug-19 09:02:34

About three weeks ago we did a tour of the Queen Mary 2 as she was docked in Southhampton. We were shown round and had lunch on board. Although we paid for the trip, it was clearly a selling day. Perhaps NCL should run trips like that for potential customers, let them see and experience the ship and what cruising is like.

I must say that although we enjoyed the day, we are still not sold on cruising. I found the ship too big, too luxurious, we like our holidays to be a bit rough around the edges, to have more uncertainty built in and we prefer to spend more than a day in a place to have time to visit the less well known sights.

I am also conscious that coaches full of cruise passengers can ruin other people's holidays. We went to Orkney some years ago, we were only there a couple of nights and our main sight seeing day was ruined because as we arrived at each sight and had a few moments there with the usual number of visitors, up would roll several coaches of people off a cruiser and 100s of passengers would swamp the site, these coaches continued to roll up for most of the day so we couldn't avoid them. We went to less well known sites, but the main ones we missed or saw in difficult circumstances and we have never had an opportunity to get back there since - and of course if we did go back, no guarantee that we wouldn't have this happen again.

mercury11 Wed 21-Aug-19 09:07:45

I've never been on a cruise. I do quite like the idea of going on one though.
My only worry would be when stopping off at the different destinations, the feeling like I'd have to rush everything and not really have the time to do all the things I wanted.

janeyf Wed 21-Aug-19 09:08:39

I love mini cruises for 5 nights or so, arriving at each port is a highlight and having a balcony room is a must. I wouldn't want to be on a cruise for 2 weeks or more because there are too many rules and restrictions and it can feel overcrowded at times

Batfink78 Wed 21-Aug-19 09:19:40

My parents have been cruising for many years and swear by them. In fact they wouldn't holiday any other way after trying cruising. I've yet to try them but they look fantastic.

falconer Wed 21-Aug-19 09:20:22

We book two years in advance (hoping still to be fit then!), and pay about £80 per night full board. Having great food without having to search out local good-value restaurants is one benefit, as well as having a variety of different places to visit, without having to pack and unpack each night. The entertainment (comedians, magicians, middle-of-the-road bands, films, and lectures, but not the "West End musicals," is also great. And, for that price, we get a coach form our home town. I initially didn't want to go on a cruise, as I hate ships and the sea, but my first cruise, to the Northern Lights, was superb. However, we avoid "sunny" destinations (we go to Norway, the Baltic, and the Mediterranean off-season). The documentaries on television about sun-seeking hedonists is enough to put anyone off cruises!

jools401 Wed 21-Aug-19 09:24:17

Our favourite type of holiday. Although it can seem expensive upfront it's actually good value as most things are included so no extras for entertainment, food etc. I love that everything is right on my 'doorstep', leave the cabin and it's just a short walk to dinner, drinks or a fabulous show.

sheilads105 Wed 21-Aug-19 09:25:29

I would be interested in a River Cruise but get annoyed by the TV adverts that only show white people.

walk1992 Wed 21-Aug-19 09:32:48

The best holidays ever. Great entertainment and wonderful food.

Yaracuy Wed 21-Aug-19 09:39:47

I always loved the idea of a Cruise, so one day took one for a week embarking in San Diego and going to Mexico West Coast, it was very interesting to go to markets, and talk to people. I was alone, then ...so a bit scared but luckily nothing bad happened. I did try local cuisine of places meant for locals not tourists, bought souvenirs at real cheap prices as well.
One day I was on the terrace of the ship and I saw a whale... one chance in a life time...Great photos too.

Charleygirl5 Wed 21-Aug-19 09:43:35

Never, ever again. I was sick for I think 13 out of the 14 days and I was so queasy on dry land it really was a waste of money for me. The little food I had was fabulous as was the entertainment. We did not have to dress up for dinner but I am going back to the late 1960s.

pattiesplum Wed 21-Aug-19 09:46:43

I have only cruised once and enjoyed it in many ways but as a worrier I was always afraid we would must the boat when we went ashore on excursions.

Things add up cost wise too as the daily tips are added to your bill at the end of the cruise and not all entertainment was free on the cruise ship we travelled on. It is a good ideas to buy a drinks package even if you only drink soft drinks, water, tea and coffee etc.

Not sure I would cruise again.

finleypop Wed 21-Aug-19 09:48:26

I have never fancied a cruise. I don't like the idea of being stuck to the on board choices & prices

BeHappy Wed 21-Aug-19 10:05:00

I would absolutely love to go on a cruise! To see so many different places would be amazing

maryandbuzz1 Wed 21-Aug-19 10:05:29

A great way to travel in style and to see lots of places in a short time. Fantastic food with a great variety where all tastes are catered for. We find it a very relaxing way to travel

littlemonkeyz Wed 21-Aug-19 10:09:54

I love the thought of visiting lots of new places but slightly put off by the stories I hear in the press. My mum is going on a smaller cruise to the Norweigan Fjords this year so I will be really interested to hear how she gets on. A cruise is definitely something I would consider in the future.

Silvergran59 Wed 21-Aug-19 10:11:39

I went on a cruise for my 60th, and although it was memorable, I felt truly spoiled....

So what are your tips and tricks when selecting a cruise holiday
Haggle for a balcony room, I got a balcony for the same price as an interior room, it was soo worth it, It was our little piece of paradise.

how do you make sure it is an enjoyable experience?

Have a look at the itinerary, and trips which are offered and make the most of visiting 'must see' Cities and attractions. Opt to pay your tips in advance so you do not feel obliged to pay tips for each drink/snack/activity.

What are your expectations of a cruise holiday

To be able to feel truly spoiled, dress up, eat good food, wake up each morning in a different location and have my quiet time on my balcony.

what are the must-haves on board you can’t go without?

My heated rollers !

How do you prepare and what do you pack for a cruise?

The evening where is a necessity, so 2 evening gowns, the rest, shorts and T shits for the rest (don't forget there is a laundry service on board so you can wear most things more than once) I pack flip flips, sandals and walking trainers.

How can cruise companies make it your perfect holiday at sea?

Make your feel spoiled, but do not get 'in your face' by being over keen offering you drinks and 'high fives' all the time. Offer fine food (but do not over cater - food waste is a great bug bear of mine - and seeing tables groaning with food which will not be eaten seems overindulgent.

creativz Wed 21-Aug-19 10:27:32

Never done it but I do like the idea of a cruise, not sure I’ve got the sea legs for the duration, which leaves me doubting I’d be able to commit, suppose I’d just have to start off with a mini cruise first !

DorisDay99 Wed 21-Aug-19 10:32:35

I am not good in the heat, so love the Nordic locations, the scenery is stunning, and they don't attract families with children, (been there done that). There are so many experiences to try, sights to see and food to eat, and if you can get a cabin with a balcony, you can relax away from the hussle and bustle and take your breakfast there - or have a cheeky glass of wine in the evenings. My recent cruise to Russia was one of the best of my life - the last day the dining experience was magical with a little filmshow being played on our plates showing a cartoon character making our meals, before it was brought to is by a lovely waiter.

DancesWithOtters Wed 21-Aug-19 10:42:52

I have never been on a cruise but would love to, they sound fab! The only thing we don't like about travelling is planning the logistics, so getting dropped off at different places to explore without any of the planning or driving sounds amazing.

montydoo Wed 21-Aug-19 10:47:45

So what are your tips and tricks when selecting a cruise holiday

Look at the trips you want to go on and build the cost into your budget - they can be expensive - but not to be missed, you can go 'out of peak season' for a lower price.

and how do you make sure it is an enjoyable experience?

let your hair down, do everything you can - classes, (cookery, origami, towel folding etc).

What are your expectations of a cruise holiday

To feel relaxed, enjoy fine food, great entertainment, and see beautiful scenery.

and what are the must-haves on board you can’t go without?

May be silly - but my dental floss !

How do you prepare and what do you pack for a cruise?

Buy a new suitcase, as big as your airline allows, make a list of what you need and how many of each and tick off when you've packed.

How can cruise companies make it your perfect holiday at sea?

Let you do things at your own pace, keep the drinks flowing, ice cream cold and food fresh and tasty, finally keep the ship clean - the use of antibacterial hand sanitisers before you eat is a great idea.

mo3733 Wed 21-Aug-19 10:53:18

i havent been cruising but its something i would like to do. the thought of visiting different countries really intrigues me

lillyofthevalley Wed 21-Aug-19 10:59:19

I've never been on a cruise....

if you haven’t travelled on a cruise, what would tempt you to do so?

A competitive price, which is all in -with no added extra's - I'd only go if I could have a little balcony to sit out on.

What have you heard about cruises that you would like to understand more about?

How do you get on and off if they ship does not dock at port, how rough can it get and what does it feel like, what are the sanitary arrangements like - you hear the horror stories about sickness bugs affecting passengers.

I'd love to experience a cruise, but I think I would feel claustrophobic - so maybe a taster 3 day cruise would be the thing for me ?

otherwiseknownasGrandma Wed 21-Aug-19 11:03:45

Going on a cruise would be my worst nightmare personally but many of my friends go regularly and have a great time. It's just not for me.

ihateipswich Wed 21-Aug-19 11:22:57

I love cruising for so many reasons but mostly because of its value for money. If you are budget conscious, food & accommodation are covered and there are a lot of free entertainment activities onboard just within the cost you paid while booking for the cruise. Considering the flight, accommodation & food costs which you may have to pay for an itinerary to some of these remote islands, I truly think cruise deals are great value for money.
No more accommodations to be arranged, tours to be researched, compared & booked. Cruises come with the options for onshore excursions which is a great way to plan your sightseeing on your shore days.

Unless you choose to design your own port tours( which I chose most of the time), cruising takes away that added stress of travel planning, though this comes at an additional cost than your booking fee for the cruise.