Gransnet forums

Sponsored discussions

Please note: This topic is for discussions paid for by Gransnet clients. If you'd like to have your own paid for discussion thread, please feel free to mail us at [email protected]. If you are a journalist, start-up or student and you want to request feedback from gransnetters, please post in Media Requests.

Let's talk dating apps with Lumen

(242 Posts)
LucyBGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 17-Oct-19 12:08:11

This activity is now closed

In recent years, the number of people using dating apps to find that special someone has rapidly increased. Dating at any age can be difficult, but dating apps can make the process a little bit easier. Whether you’ve used a dating app before or not, Lumen wants to hear from you.

Here’s what Lumen has to say: “Dating apps are in full swing these days, with an estimated 59 million people using them worldwide, and that’s only as of 2017. Now, the number will only be higher and it's easy to see why. As our lives become busier and more hectic, it can be tricky to find time to set aside to go on dates, or to even find people to go on dates with. Dating apps come in to help us there, by allowing us to get chatting to people more easily. It’s not just a millennial’s game anymore.

More and more people over 50 are turning to dating apps to find someone to spend their later years with. You may have many friends and maybe even a family of your own, but that doesn’t mean you should be content with being single if you don’t want to be. If you’re ready to get back into dating, whether you’re in your fifties or beyond, then it might be time to try a dating app like Lumen.”

Have you got any experience of using dating apps? If so, were they good or bad experiences? Have you found good connections or engaged in quality conversations on dating apps?

Do you find dating apps easy or difficult to use? And, if you have never used a dating app, what do you think of them? Have you considered it but been put off?

Share your thoughts about dating apps on the thread below and you will be entered into a prize draw where one GNer will win a £300 voucher of their choice (from a list).

Thanks and good luck!
GNHQ

Standard Insight T&Cs Apply

casspuss Thu 21-Nov-19 15:47:33

I think they are terrible and have never used them

Borismybear Thu 21-Nov-19 17:35:07

I would feel uneasy meeting someone this way.. Dating apps give people to much time and space to write fiction or hyped up reality about themselves... Time to sit back and fabricate responses based on what they think the other wants to hear other than speak truthfully as they would in a face to face setting when an immediate response and facial expressions can be seen. Reality never plays out like the text you read in the good books! Social anxiety is on the rise and I believe that is partly due to the like of online dating and online shopping etc.

Flowerpower22 Thu 21-Nov-19 17:43:43

I've never used a dating app and I would be horribly worried about rejection on looks only before someone got to know me.

abigailflo Thu 21-Nov-19 18:32:26

Never used a dating app but don’t see the harm as long as your careful - I met my husband on a blind date 20 years ago so not the conventional way to meet someone but worked for me

Pretenna Thu 21-Nov-19 19:07:31

I've never used a dating app or site and never would, read too many horror stories regarding them!

sofieellis Thu 21-Nov-19 19:44:47

I don't have any need for a dating app, as I'm married, but I think I'd be nervous about using one. I don't think I'd be brave enough to meet a complete stranger, just after talking on an app.

kittykomp Thu 21-Nov-19 19:58:32

I've never used them, but they seem a bit awkward.

zbody Thu 21-Nov-19 20:29:43

I have tried one , but found it really disappointing . I think you reach a certain age and the broad range of life experience can't be recognised however clever the algorithms. I also found that for the couple of months I was using it I lost contact with the real world as I was so focused on replies . Perhaps it was me that I was just a bit desperate at the time.

ItsGreatBeingAGran Thu 21-Nov-19 20:54:55

I'm happily married so no need for a dating app, however I have a close friend who had a very bad experience with a man she met on a dating app. Saying that however, she could well have met the same man without the need of the app and suffered the same horrid expreience, it's not the app's fault, it's the man.

Luckily she is now out of the relationship, though it did take her some months and her experience really affected her, her confidence is starting to come back and I'm seeing my real friend again after all these months.

Blondie82 Thu 21-Nov-19 21:06:03

Would never use them, don't trust them

jojo8208 Thu 21-Nov-19 21:47:51

I tried last year and to be honest I found it hideous. I'm not going to go into too much detail but my experience has been predominantly negative, I've never even got round to meeting anyone. I spoke to many, many people & in the end I just gave up. If I ever meet anyone it'll have to be in real life, for now I'm OK though smile

kamoc Thu 21-Nov-19 22:00:12

I think they do work for certain people

robyn297 Thu 21-Nov-19 22:08:21

I'm sure they have their place, but I'm a bit old fashioned and don't really trust them.

dirtypop Thu 21-Nov-19 22:14:44

Theyre not too bad as long as your careful and don't take it too seriously. I met my partner on dating site so its worked for me

blue25 Thu 21-Nov-19 22:21:37

I’m all for it. A good friend of mine in her 60s met a lovely man online some time ago and they seen very happy.

As long as people use common sense and stay safe, I think it’s great.

grannybiker Thu 21-Nov-19 22:23:27

The world has changed enormously since I was dating, but back then it tended to be meeting friends of friends, setting each other up on blind dates etc,
I've seen friends have good and bad experiences using dating apps. The biggest issue seems to be people telling lies or at least stretching the truth. Do they really think their date won't notice they're older, fatter or balder than they claim?

baconbap Thu 21-Nov-19 22:38:19

have never used one and would feel a bit wary

pinkspideruk Fri 22-Nov-19 00:55:46

most dating apps are either aimed at younger people (tinder) or if they are for 'older/mature' people they look like they are advertising for someone to move into a retirement property - no life or soul left in them! So very limited in choice.

Also the fact that people seem to think you want to see various parts of their body sent via pics or video before they have even bought you a drink? urgh!

Misslayed Fri 22-Nov-19 05:19:40

I haven't used dating apps, but I had a lot of fun meeting chaps I met on various dating websites after I emerged from the long dark tunnel of bereavement. There were twits and liars, but they're easy to weed out if you 'chat' online , via text or messenger. I always googled anyone I was actually going to meet, almost everyone has some kind of online presence, and it just added verisimilitude to their claim to be a school governor for example. Eventually I met a chap who was also widowed - with 6 children! Reader, I married him, and I've never been happier.

Carlychoc Fri 22-Nov-19 05:24:10

I think they are great. Two of my good friends have met their partners from dating apps and gone on to have children and get married. Obviously you have to be very careful initially though as you hear so many horror stories

elizab Fri 22-Nov-19 06:56:08

i dont really think its much different from blind dates or meeting someone randomly! just use common sense dont send money etc and if you decide to meet up to tell someone you know where you are going

rexy0101 Fri 22-Nov-19 07:05:15

A good friend used a lot of dating apps. The men she met were either married, had "strange requests" or just after a one night stand
There may be plenty of fish out there but a lot of them stink!

Emmamaryd Fri 22-Nov-19 08:01:19

I think they are useful but should be used with caution.

Dan29 Fri 22-Nov-19 08:17:53

Yes I met my partner on a dating app and we've been together seven years. It's just a way of meeting people, the people themselves are no different wherever you meet! Just meet up after a few messages, don't get drawn into endlessly messaging back and forth and never meeting as this can lead to disappointment.

allibaby Fri 22-Nov-19 08:27:45

I have used a dating app in the past and had no problems.
As long as you are sensible and take precautions I think dating apps can be a fun and easy way to meet new people and possibly ''the one''.