Gransnet forums

Sponsored discussions

Please note: This topic is for discussions paid for by Gransnet clients. If you'd like to have your own paid for discussion thread, please feel free to mail us at [email protected]. If you are a journalist, start-up or student and you want to request feedback from gransnetters, please post in Media Requests.

Let's talk dating apps with Lumen

(242 Posts)
LucyBGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 17-Oct-19 12:08:11

This activity is now closed

In recent years, the number of people using dating apps to find that special someone has rapidly increased. Dating at any age can be difficult, but dating apps can make the process a little bit easier. Whether you’ve used a dating app before or not, Lumen wants to hear from you.

Here’s what Lumen has to say: “Dating apps are in full swing these days, with an estimated 59 million people using them worldwide, and that’s only as of 2017. Now, the number will only be higher and it's easy to see why. As our lives become busier and more hectic, it can be tricky to find time to set aside to go on dates, or to even find people to go on dates with. Dating apps come in to help us there, by allowing us to get chatting to people more easily. It’s not just a millennial’s game anymore.

More and more people over 50 are turning to dating apps to find someone to spend their later years with. You may have many friends and maybe even a family of your own, but that doesn’t mean you should be content with being single if you don’t want to be. If you’re ready to get back into dating, whether you’re in your fifties or beyond, then it might be time to try a dating app like Lumen.”

Have you got any experience of using dating apps? If so, were they good or bad experiences? Have you found good connections or engaged in quality conversations on dating apps?

Do you find dating apps easy or difficult to use? And, if you have never used a dating app, what do you think of them? Have you considered it but been put off?

Share your thoughts about dating apps on the thread below and you will be entered into a prize draw where one GNer will win a £300 voucher of their choice (from a list).

Thanks and good luck!
GNHQ

Standard Insight T&Cs Apply

chris8888 Sun 19-Jan-20 11:48:11

Sorry didnt realise it was finished

chris8888 Sun 19-Jan-20 11:47:07

Seems like the apps work for some and why not use an app for dating. Not for me though as I am quite happy being solo.

LucyBGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 28-Nov-19 11:47:11

Thank you to all who took part in this discussion. We are happy to announce that the winner of the prize draw is @angiejackson - congratulations! grin

candish65 Sun 24-Nov-19 18:30:11

I've never used one but nowadays everything is online. Everywhere you look everyone is on their phones. It will just make it easier to meet someone

dahville Sun 24-Nov-19 08:19:14

I would be embarrassed to be seen by anyone I know on a dating app. I have no judgement against my friends who use them, they love it, and I embrace technology, so there is no reason for me to feel bad using one but I would so I stay away.

tishist Sat 23-Nov-19 00:08:12

I'm not in that position now to use one, but I always dreaded the idea of date sites - it's got advantages and is great it works for some people but it's just not for me.

potofdreams4 Fri 22-Nov-19 22:40:39

I have many friends that use them, some to find brief 'company' and others for a more serious relationship. It all depends which one you're looking for to which site you should use.

I have 3 friends who have met and gone on to marry from using dating sites. 2 used a more 'relationship friendly' website, and the other used Tinder - they met, hit it off and started dating after their brief 'company'.

I also have a couple of (women) friends that have tried it and just found men to be looking for one thing. They receive inappropriate messages daily (when on a relationship website) and they felt judged by their appearance by everyone. They're both still single but looking for love naturally or in a more 'old school' way such as introductions or meeting at work.

I say, if you're looking for either outcome, try it and see if it's for you. You'll know soon enough, and you never know what might happen.

WombleLancs Fri 22-Nov-19 20:55:53

I tried a dating app just once. I had a single date with someone who turned out to be a complete and utter nuisance. I decided within 20 minutes that he wasn't for me, but he kept phoning, texting and emailing me for a couple of weeks, even after I had asked him to stop. The final straw came when he turned up at a concert that I had mentioned I was going to, over 100 miles from home, and asked if he could stay in my hotel room with me. Of course I said no and I told him that if he ever contacted or came near me again, I would be going to the Police. Fortunately, that did the trick, but my experience totally put me off dating apps.

jacqroberts Fri 22-Nov-19 16:41:58

Oh dear I just couldn't be bothered, there seems to be this attitude of OK next, so not for me.

newgolddream71 Fri 22-Nov-19 12:17:53

too many fake people dangerous in some cases better to try and meet the old fashioned way

jhocknull Fri 22-Nov-19 12:08:23

Maybe its a 'generation thing' but I'd be far too confused to use a dating app. The younger generation think nothing of it and have had great success. I no longer say 'Where did you meet?' to the new partners!

Parsley Fri 22-Nov-19 11:49:46

I've not used a dating app myself, but I have friends who have used them and some of the men they met with haven't really matched their physical description as closely as expected! Suspected photoshop or quite an old profile picture for one!
Online dating really is a good way in this modern age so long as people are careful when meeting up with total strangers in a public place.

chris8888 Fri 22-Nov-19 11:37:51

I think they are a great idea, its very hard to meet people especially if you don`t have a busy social life. I also think people are very aware of the need for caution and take sensible steps to stay safe. I have used them but realised I didn`t want a relationship.

Bellroyd Fri 22-Nov-19 11:04:30

Whilst for some they may have proven successful, to me the whole process is fraught with danger! Proceed with care!

SwiftShark Fri 22-Nov-19 11:02:59

I haven't used a dating site or app myself but I've heard you can often receive short messages of a certain type. I'd worry the longer nice messages were from scammers like the ones they talk about on television.
I think it's all about the service you decide to use, I'm sure some are better than others.

debra1968 Fri 22-Nov-19 09:05:56

It's not something I would personally feel comfortable using, I worry there would be too many people that aren't genuine but a friend of mine has recently met someone and they seem really happy

allibaby Fri 22-Nov-19 08:27:45

I have used a dating app in the past and had no problems.
As long as you are sensible and take precautions I think dating apps can be a fun and easy way to meet new people and possibly ''the one''.

Dan29 Fri 22-Nov-19 08:17:53

Yes I met my partner on a dating app and we've been together seven years. It's just a way of meeting people, the people themselves are no different wherever you meet! Just meet up after a few messages, don't get drawn into endlessly messaging back and forth and never meeting as this can lead to disappointment.

Emmamaryd Fri 22-Nov-19 08:01:19

I think they are useful but should be used with caution.

rexy0101 Fri 22-Nov-19 07:05:15

A good friend used a lot of dating apps. The men she met were either married, had "strange requests" or just after a one night stand
There may be plenty of fish out there but a lot of them stink!

elizab Fri 22-Nov-19 06:56:08

i dont really think its much different from blind dates or meeting someone randomly! just use common sense dont send money etc and if you decide to meet up to tell someone you know where you are going

Carlychoc Fri 22-Nov-19 05:24:10

I think they are great. Two of my good friends have met their partners from dating apps and gone on to have children and get married. Obviously you have to be very careful initially though as you hear so many horror stories

Misslayed Fri 22-Nov-19 05:19:40

I haven't used dating apps, but I had a lot of fun meeting chaps I met on various dating websites after I emerged from the long dark tunnel of bereavement. There were twits and liars, but they're easy to weed out if you 'chat' online , via text or messenger. I always googled anyone I was actually going to meet, almost everyone has some kind of online presence, and it just added verisimilitude to their claim to be a school governor for example. Eventually I met a chap who was also widowed - with 6 children! Reader, I married him, and I've never been happier.

pinkspideruk Fri 22-Nov-19 00:55:46

most dating apps are either aimed at younger people (tinder) or if they are for 'older/mature' people they look like they are advertising for someone to move into a retirement property - no life or soul left in them! So very limited in choice.

Also the fact that people seem to think you want to see various parts of their body sent via pics or video before they have even bought you a drink? urgh!

baconbap Thu 21-Nov-19 22:38:19

have never used one and would feel a bit wary