Gransnet forums

Sponsored discussions

Please note: This topic is for discussions paid for by Gransnet clients. If you'd like to have your own paid for discussion thread, please feel free to mail us at [email protected]. If you are a journalist, start-up or student and you want to request feedback from gransnetters, please post in Media Requests.

Let’s talk house moves with Pegasus Life - £300 voucher to be won

(376 Posts)
JustineBGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 06-Nov-19 11:27:15

Whether it’s because you’re downsizing, moving to be nearer loved ones, or just because you fancy a change in scenery, house moves can be a stressful, time consuming and expensive experience. With this in mind, Pegasus Life would like to hear about your experience of moving house.

Here’s what Pegasus Life has to say: “At PegasusLife we offer beautiful, unique apartments in age-exclusive developments, which have been created to rethink and reinvent the places and ways in which we live as we get older for the better. We know that moving is always a big decision, and we are keen to make the experience as stress-free as possible so we offer a number of services to help our owners make the right decision and ensure an enjoyable move into their new home.”

Have you ever put off moving because it seemed too difficult? What do you least look forward to about moving house? Does the thought of decluttering when moving house fill you with dread, or does it feel like an exciting new start? What would make you consider moving house in the future? Perhaps you have tips for moving house that you’d like to share?

All who leave their thoughts in a comment below will be entered into a prize draw where one GNer will win a £300 voucher for the store of their choice (from a list).

Thanks and good luck!

GNHQ

Insight Terms and Conditions apply

hannahlw1985 Wed 27-Nov-19 23:50:42

Dread the idea of moving, such hard work, especially with having health issues. I have a load of stuff from the attic still left to be sorted from the last move a few years ago, so the thought of being forced to have to go through that quickly for being able to move id's horrible! The last time I moved my dog at the time was poorly as viewings were going on, and he unexpectedly died, which just added to all the stress. I do not want to feel a fraction of that stress for a long time!

Breeze81 Thu 28-Nov-19 10:51:36

I find moving incredibly stressful, so I do put it off. I love my current home but I'd also love to move and have a fresh start. The thought of de-cluttering is very daunting and that's what really puts me off.

alem2018 Thu 28-Nov-19 21:09:59

Moving seems like a lot of unnecessary stress

Julie1977 Fri 29-Nov-19 06:47:52

I'd love to move house as ours is now too big but am put off by the amount of stuff we have accumulated over the years and where we'd put most of it in a smaller place!

jollo Fri 29-Nov-19 07:30:06

Always an option

Nannilyn Fri 29-Nov-19 13:25:05

No plans to move at present,after 30 years in my cosy home ! but you never know what is around the corner in life -The Pegasus Plan sounds attractive should the need arrive

anabanana Fri 29-Nov-19 15:21:00

The thought of ever moving, and the pain it would involve, has put me off entirely. Even clearing out is difficult.

Kemcaflipflops Fri 29-Nov-19 16:38:10

I moved last year and the whole experience was horrific. I had to move as a result of my marriage break up and I was moving to a house I hated with only half the furniture I needed etc so you can imagine I wasn't in the best frame of mind.
A year on and while my divorce is dragging on, karma is starting to catch up with my ex and I'm starting to feel at home here ( I've finally got a comfy sofa!) When I eventually move again I want it to be a happy stressfree event!

Greeneyedgirl Fri 29-Nov-19 17:44:13

I know moving is extremely stressful, I've done it at least 11 times as an adult.

Believe me it's not as stressful as being on your own, elderly and vulnerable in a house which has become totally unsuitable, possibly too big and expensive to maintain and heat, and confined to one room because you can no longer get upstairs! Not to mention the large garden......

JenT Sat 30-Nov-19 07:39:21

It is so stressful it’s the deciding whether to throw or keep. The not knowing how much stuff you have

Lisapaige24 Sat 30-Nov-19 11:56:44

My husband was in the military for 22 years so I have become an expert at moving and organising the packing of my furniture and goods everything has to be labelled and a list of what’s in each box so you know exactly we’re to find everything also I knew not to have clutter very early on so I always keep my life minimalistic even now I live in my own home for the last 15 years its instilled in us to keep an organised and tidy house so that when we move again to downsize or move abroad we can move efficiently I do dread moving in the next 5 years as this is the longest we have ever lived in a home it holds a lot of special memories but moving doesn’t take those memories away

bain123 Sat 30-Nov-19 15:03:10

Our two home moves have been relatively stress free so I feel fortunate as I often hear about nightmare house moves. However, I do struggle with the thought of setting up broadband, TV services, telephone, utilities etc, and this definitely puts me off moving house. I really don’t mind the decluttering a house move inevitably involves – it is so satisfying! I invariably come across our boxes of photos and spend a happy hour or two looking through them and reminiscing! If and when we do make the move, age exclusivity homes do appeal but more important to me is to be close to family and friends. A property with open plan space is what I would look for as I feel that it not only gives a feeling of light and space but provides a more sociable atmosphere – so much better for the host/hostess as they don’t miss out on conversations because of being stuck in the kitchen! If I were to give advice to anyone considering moving home it would be to research thoroughly, declutter, declutter,declutter, and mark absolutely everything with which room it is intended for in the new house (saves a lot of confusion and time).

karen203 Sat 30-Nov-19 15:32:04

My daughter would love us to move closer to them, but I know I would find moving difficult. (Though I do love the thought of being closer to them)
I think after living in our house for over 30 years, we have accumulated too much stuff. Before thinking of moving, I need to go through each room and seriously think what we do need to keep. Not a easy task as I find many reasons for keeping things!!!
I like to think that a move closer to them would be possible so I will start the decluttering!

Claress14 Sat 30-Nov-19 16:01:24

I dread moving altogether it’s an absolute nightmare, I think it’s the more having to declutter to start with I find it very stressful. No tips am afraid as I won’t be moving out of my current property/home. We have lived her since 2007 and absolutely love it.

Suedenim Sat 30-Nov-19 16:13:04

I once had a terrible experience with a removal company who damaged some of my property - and laughed about it.

jackier333 Sat 30-Nov-19 18:41:21

I have actually never moved house, I still love in the house I grew up in. The thought of moving terrifies me - so much to organise and deal with!

kry32 Sat 30-Nov-19 19:43:30

I have lived in my current home for 32 years and adore it and never considered leaving however two personal changes means I might have to.
The first is I have a granddaughter who lives in Hampshire and I'm in London, my son and his partner -who I get on well with, want me to move to be nearer to them, the second reason is my Arthritis means I may have to consider a bungalow further on down the line at the moment I'm coping with home adaptions. I find the thought of packing 32 years up and moving a complete wrench and quite fearful of the effort it will take if I chose to do so I can't imagine getting into a car, driving away and not returning to the place that holds memories. My son is convinced that I will make new ones but I'm 60+ and not as young and mobile as I use to be. So many factors for and against!

ToniRick Sat 30-Nov-19 19:48:52

Declutttering the attic has to be the most daunting task. It is such a dumping ground, full of years worth of things that probably should have been thrown away, but we keep...just in case.

ell2020 Sat 30-Nov-19 21:31:20

Have you ever put off moving because it seemed too difficult?
I have because there so much work in terms of logistics, either doing it myself or having to organise others to handle my things.

What do you least look forward to about moving house?
It's one of the biggest chores in life which is never easy.

Does the thought of decluttering when moving house fill you with dread, or does it feel like an exciting new start?
It's a part the logistics in life which is bittersweet where there is mental trauma of past memories created at the same time stimulation of memories to be made.

What would make you consider moving house in the future?
I cannot possibly comment there is so much to consider, when answering that.

Perhaps you have tips for moving house that you’d like to share?
Being organised helps but at the end of it all go with the flow as it can lead to a traumatic experience.

athenacarina Sat 30-Nov-19 22:43:00

I still live with my Mum, but when I do move into my own home, I plan on it being my forever home. I don't like change and want to be settled.

karenharrison Sat 28-Dec-19 13:22:55

We have moved3 times. Last time was horrendous because of the legal red tape involved in buying a house. I'd prefer to go out for the day and someone sort it out for me. I would move again but I wouldn't look forward to it.

bdavies Sun 29-Dec-19 13:21:29

Am currently buying a smaller house in countryside but will keep our original house for next couple of years to see if a more remote home suits us. After this we will sell one of the houses and settle in the home that we have chosen. We are using our draw down pension to purchase the house.

Sandygough74 Mon 30-Dec-19 12:18:54

Some of the most stressful times of my life moving. Have been gazumped in the past on my dream house also. Now very happy where we are but think legalities could be speeded up. Usually approx 3 months, in Australia HAS to be completed in 28 days. Good luck to all undertaking moving in the New Year!

molly57 Mon 30-Dec-19 17:35:48

I have always put off moving home as I cannot afford to do this. I would like to make one last big house move in a few years(or sooner if I win the lottery!) to enjoy my retirement in the land of my birth, Scotland.

poshpaws Mon 30-Dec-19 22:58:54

I cannot bear the thought of moving - far too much clutter here to begin to work through, nowhere I could afford to take my horses and other animals, and the idea of a complex with ever increasing service charges terrifies me as much as the idea of being surrounded by other people appalls me!

I might have to consider moving in future years as my husband's health isn't the greatest and we have no public transport (he's the main driver as I'm scared of driving and am just beginning to up my confidence again.)

Tips for moving - set yourself a particular number of hours per day to sort and pack, and don't be distracted, or you'll drive yourself crazy.